Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: GHOSTS!  (Read 2305 times)

Jakkarra

Re: GHOSTS!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 12:35:23 pm »

"Aught" is actually a real word, although not one in very common use, any longer. It basically means the opposite of "nought".

Aught = something/anything

Nought = nothing. 

i knew this, i was just mentioning the spelling of Ought as apposed to the spelling Aught, which is a different word, as you mentioned.

silly Potato.......

love, jakkarra

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 12:45:41 pm »

one would think that some ghosts would be friendly, helping other dwarves lift heavy objects, or healing wounds. those same ghosts could complain how people are afraid of them (one of the reason most ghosts hate mortals), and have their own tantrums. they could make friends with the living and the dead, and try to get some one to help them be released from bondage to living death, in exchange for a powerful artifact, which could be good or bad.

Happy thought: "released a spirit from bondage recently"
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Jakkarra

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 01:05:01 pm »

aww come on, that MUST be intentional.

love, jakkarra

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 01:21:49 pm »

they could make friends with the living and the dead

Urist McEverybody cancels task: Interrupted by skeletal troll.

Urist McAspgren: WHAT THE HELL! who lowered the drawbridge?? who threw the weapons into the chasm?? why are the doors off their hinges??? why god WHY!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 06:08:19 am »

one would think that some ghosts would be friendly, helping other dwarves lift heavy objects, or healing wounds. those same ghosts could complain how people are afraid of them (one of the reason most ghosts hate mortals), and have their own tantrums. they could make friends with the living and the dead, and try to get some one to help them be released from bondage to living death, in exchange for a powerful artifact, which could be good or bad.

Wells since these are your dwarfs, then it would be unlikely they would have had an artifact you didn't know about. Maybe the ghost opens up an additional strange mood for the dorf.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 09:49:21 am »

Imagine a great siege, breaching into your fortress, and into the halls. Then, as the walk past the tomb chambers of heroes and champions who died defending the fortress during the past, the ghosts wake up and attack the siegers. 

Damn that would be cool...

Of course, they wouldn't really like doing that on regular basis, so if the sieges bother them too much, they would just ignore it.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 02:04:59 pm »

Yes, there ought (yay) to be ways to deal with ghosts once created. Perhaps by building them a very good tomb, or (I've been watching too much Supernatural lately) burning their remains!

Only if you have rock salt in your fortress, too.  SALT AND BURN!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:24:41 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 02:17:10 pm »

Or if we go by some forms of ghosts you can do several other things such as:

1) Attack them: Ghosts arn't always immortal just difficult to kill
2) Destroy their Fettish: No you perverts! This fetter allows the ghosts to hold on
3) Totems Traditional
4) Offer them food, goods, treasures
5) Phase them out: Ghosts have trouble manifesting to unopen minds. A heavily populated fortress would be immune to ordinary ghosts.

Though I don't picture most ghosts (by ordinary dwarves) becoming too dangerous anyhow... just annoying.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:18:42 pm by Neonivek »

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 02:18:56 pm »

Its in the bloats. I really like the idea. I would love to have more destructive ghost behaviors depending on the dead dwarfs personality and the biomes evilosity(i know thats not a word).

# Bloat21, VARIOUS GHOST IDEAS, (Future): Blame the lever puller for flooded dungeon, make a ghost constantly pull the lever. Save relationships with various entities and have ghosts react to entity members as they would in life possibly. Ghosts can show you their bodies. Ghosts can pretend to do their old jobs. Ghost appearance can depend on how they died. Could force the adventurer to interact with ghosts to access now-secret parts of the fortress (could also use writings and legends for this). It can keep outposts that it normally throws away for fun little ghost stories. If the dwarves hate the elves, the ghosts could guide the adventurer to a poisoned goblet or insultingly engraved object to bring back to the elves, and they could lie to the player about it.

We already know that they will be able to pull levers. So poltergeists are a distinct possibility. Also nobles that died in "accidents" should have particularly moody and destructive ghosts. They could even possess animate armor and wreak havoc.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 02:20:44 pm »

nobles that died in "accidents" should have particularly moody and destructive ghosts. They could even possess animate armor and wreak havoc.

Yep like Mummies!

Though Nobles who die in "Accidents" have quite a few of their followers burried with them not to mention the loyalty of many of the other dead dwarves who may become restless at the tragic death of a noble. So they would have quite the Entourage when they come to life to seek revenge on the living for their death, or simply reject that they are in fact dead and try to rule the fortress themselves in their ghostly forms.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:23:04 pm by Neonivek »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 02:24:52 pm »

Sam: But he died in magma!  There shouldn't be any remains!
Dean: Some part of his body must still be out there.
Sam: Look at this engraving...it's a dwarf withering in magma.  And look at THAT.
Dean: He only has one arm...
--------
Mayor: Yes, I'm afraid Urist lost an arm in a tragic sparring accident a few years before he passed.
Dean: What happened to his arm?
Mayor: ...What happened to it?  Refuse stockpile, I suppose.
Sam: Has this fort produced any...artifacts lately?
Mayor: Well the mason DID have this strange, macabre mood a while back...  That's when he built that floodgate, Abbeysquids.  It keeps the magma from flooding our entire fortress.
--------
Sam: You're dressed up as...a brewer.
Dean: Oh come on, the perks of this job are amazing!  Anyway, I'm going to stash these barrels over here by Abbeysquids.  Now we just let them connect that second floodgate farther down, pull the lever, and bam!  Problem solved!
Sam: You're sure this is actually going to work?
Dean: Yeah.  Mostly.  Hey, why don't I go get the car started...  Make sure you're ready to run when you pull the lever...
Sam: Uh.  Okay.
Ghost: *possesses a butterfly and flies into the second floodgate*
Sam: *pulls lever*
Magma: *flows out of Abbeysquids*
Booze: *explode*
Abbeysquids: *explodes*
Butterfly: *dies in the second floodgate*
Second floodgate: *still doesn't close*
Fortress: *burns*
Sam: *has a sad*

oh god I can't believe I just wrote my first Supernatural fanfiction
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:33:25 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 03:40:51 pm »

We already know that they will be able to pull levers. So poltergeists are a distinct possibility.

I'd like to point out that poltergeist phenomenons have been known to be ... contageous. The introduction of a poltergeist with this kind of... feature might very well lead to enormous chaos in the fortress.

Wether or not poltergeists exist in real life (that is, if they are indeed ghosts. the phenomenon most definitely exists IMO but the cause is unknown, some kind of massive stress combined with telekinesis and an angry subconsciousness most likely) this means that if you know someone who suffers from the phenomenon caution IS adviced since, as I said, it's contageous.. as some forms of hysteria are known to be.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 06:21:58 pm »

Wether or not poltergeists exist in real life (that is, if they are indeed ghosts. the phenomenon most definitely exists IMO but the cause is unknown, some kind of massive stress combined with telekinesis and an angry subconsciousness most likely) this means that if you know someone who suffers from the phenomenon caution IS adviced since, as I said, it's contageous.. as some forms of hysteria are known to be.
In other words, a real-life tantrum spiral. :P

Dwarves that fail to produce an artifact should definitely return as ghosts, possibly causing posessed moods until they're satisfied. The low value of a posessed mood (and the possibility of a "posession spiral" would be a nice incentive for players to do everything in their power to make a mood succeed.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.
Pages: 1 [2]