Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: solo fortresses  (Read 755 times)

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
solo fortresses
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:54:33 pm »

You should be able to play fortress mode in adventure mode (kind of) I know toady is trying to allow adventurers to be able to make their own house and stuff, but what about immigrants and caravans? you should be able to have direct control over a dwarf/human/elf and create a fortress like that.  it's more realistic if you think about it, dwarves do things because an other wordly being(you, not being directly in the game, but designating orders anyways) possesses their mind and tells them what they can and cannot do.
Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: solo fortresses
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 01:00:05 pm »

Something like this came up recently:

Quote from: Neonivek
Ill skip my questions... I can't word it correctly. It was about how Toady thinks he can balance the freedom he gives to the players and the overall dwarven image as well as the amount of content he will need in the game overall. Which seems to come up in the question of Mounts and Poisons.

I think one idea we've been idlely pointing at is to make every action the player can take the responsibility of some appointed dwarf or dwarves, so that you could do more of the things that you want to do, but there'd also always be somebody to blame.  This would also allow some of the more "mind control" things I'm uncomfortable with, but it would cause a direct interaction between the appointed dwarf (manager, say) and the "controlled" dwarf, which would either lead to no problems or a fist fight or refusal to perform the task, depending on the task.  That's the guiding idea, even if you don't see it very much and maybe I'll never get there.