Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627433 times)

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1575 on: April 14, 2009, 08:36:55 pm »

Also that is a creepy ass avatar.

Ok, for Footkerchief to actually point out your avatar, I knew I had to look.

I concur, that is creepy as hell.  What is it from?

Is it from beyond the Black Hills and past the dark lakes of the Unforgiven Coast. It dwelt in a place of madness and torment, where flesh dripped like tar from the rotting bones of men too evil for the world to let live. It was there that I found it - a cave, bathed in a darkness tinged with a red that lingered at the edge of vision. It screamed then, but now it simply talks - it whispers of things in a language I dare not repeat out loud, for fear of ҉ Z҉҉̡̢̡̢̛̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑ ̒̓̔̕̚he ̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̕̚̕̚comes ̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̔̚̕̚ ̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̕̚̕̚ ̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̚help ̡̢̡̢̛̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔ ̕̚̕̚ ̔̕̚̕̚҉ ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡ you͡҉҉ ̵̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊are not alone

Ugh, don't bring that stupid Zalgo shit here.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: April 14, 2009, 09:46:03 pm »

The caves are awesome, yes. I can imagine wholly underground villages springing up around underground rivers, with individual houses carved into the cave walls. Maybe major cities would be daring enough to tunnel to the surface and interact with the horrors above.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: April 14, 2009, 09:51:29 pm »

Can we have a moment of silence for all of the precious stone that lost in making those huge empty spaces?
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: April 14, 2009, 10:59:06 pm »

we would have just chasmed most of it anyway.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: April 14, 2009, 11:27:44 pm »

The caves are awesome, yes. I can imagine wholly underground villages springing up around underground rivers, with individual houses carved into the cave walls. Maybe major cities would be daring enough to tunnel to the surface and interact with the horrors above.
For hundreds of years the dwarves of Boatclasped had hiden away in the caverns, but the demand of a risen population of 208 drove them to expand. And so a party of seven bagan to dig upwards.
*redesignates damp tile*
You have breached the surface!
You have discovered a river!
Urist McMiner cancels dig: interrupted by carp.
Urist McMiner has bled to death.
<dwarf name> has drowned/bled to death. x207
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1580 on: April 15, 2009, 03:17:13 am »

Quote from: Neonivek
Ill skip my questions... I can't word it correctly. It was about how Toady thinks he can balance the freedom he gives to the players and the overall dwarven image as well as the amount of content he will need in the game overall. Which seems to come up in the question of Mounts and Poisons.

I think one idea we've been idlely pointing at is to make every action the player can take the responsibility of some appointed dwarf or dwarves, so that you could do more of the things that you want to do, but there'd also always be somebody to blame.  This would also allow some of the more "mind control" things I'm uncomfortable with, but it would cause a direct interaction between the appointed dwarf (manager, say) and the "controlled" dwarf, which would either lead to no problems or a fist fight or refusal to perform the task, depending on the task.  That's the guiding idea, even if you don't see it very much and maybe I'll never get there.

Quote from: Dwarfu
... how will this affect the soldiers' families?  Will the soldier still claim a room while they are marked to sleep in the barracks?
... if the soldiers/guards are set to 'off duty' in the rotation, will they then go visit their families, sleep in their own rooms, make babies, etc?
... are the stands and racks going to count as owned items, and if so, are nobles going to get negative thoughts if some yokel in the armory has a better one than the noble does?
... will assigning more than one barracks (such as on different levels) confuse everyone?

We'll have to see on a lot of these, as we haven't worked out the details.  For the last, you'll be able to have several places without trouble, as the squads will only accept one assignment each, I think.

Quote from: Footkerchief
Can wounds heal while they have something stuck in them?
Quote from: Sean Mirrsen
I suspect the answer is "the wound doesn't close fully as long as something is in it". And I think it was mentioned at some point that stuck-ins are attached to wounds.

Yeah, that's right.  I'm not sure they heal at all, but they'll probably stop bleeding, if I remember.

Quote from: Jurph
Goblin roads run underground.  Is it possible that they would use the shoreline of underground rivers for foot traffic as well?
Quote from: Dwarfu
how are these world-spanning layers going to affect the current dwarven tunnels?
I'm pretty sure the current dwarven tunnels are purely cosmetic -- I don't think they're used even by migrants, which are I think the only groups that actually move on the world map.

The tunnels currently (attempt to) bridge things like chasms, so the feature interactions here should be similar, though it's unclear of course what I'll manage.  If a tunnel hits an open cavern and then re-emerges, they should just brave the cavern, unless it's a bad area, then they should wall it off and try again.  But yeah, stuff is pretty cosmetic now, except for adv mode.  We'll get there with the release after this one most likely, as that will have armies moving around.

Quote from: Aqizzar
I'm more curious about this world-spanning underground-layer ability.  Will adventurers be able to get down there and roam around?  Preferably with fast-travel, unlike the current tunnels?

You'll be able to get down there.  I'm ambivalent about fast travel -- clearly, something is needed, since it takes a long, long time to move around.  However, most of the feeling of discovery and exploration and some of the feeling of lurking danger is lost by allowing fast travel in places like that.  There are some tentative solutions, I guess, like allowing fast travel in areas that have been explored or at least talked about, or change how the travel screen looks underground to make it look more intimate, but we haven't thought it through yet.

Quote from: some people
hfs stuff

HFS will be updated, indeed.

Quote from: SirPenguin
Toady, what are your thoughts in regards to underground critters breaching into forts and the like?

You mean that tunneling discussion over which much blood has been shed in various suggestion threads?  The official view, I guess, is that for such a contentious issue, it should be initable -- our default init option is to allow a variety of tunneling in both sieges and from underground, but that it be relative infrequent and sensible when it occurs, rather than having a pack of giant moles that can just walk through the walls leaving a destructive trail of floors as you might get in a roguelike for example, as slow tunneling fits the strategic pace and "realism".

you mentioned giving materials ID numbers for the "whose blood is in this vial" stuff.  Will the next version track the, uh, original owner of all materials from "significant" creatures?  Will it show up in item descriptions?

All blood etc. is currently associated to specific hist figs, yeah.  I don't remember if I blocked it out in item descriptions or not...  there are reasons to do it either way.  You shouldn't just know whose blood that is, unless, for example, you saw it splatter there.  You probably shouldn't even know what type of creature, as it is currently, but it might have to give you that without further information linking related blood types together (I guess color is enough, mostly).

Quote from: Inquisitor Saturn
Those caves are pretty damn big. I hope there will be a worldgen setting to adjust their size.
Quote from: LumenPlacidum
I'm only concerned that they probably shouldn't be so open everywhere in the world.
Quote from: Krash
I just wish there were more narrow passageways instead of just huge open spaces just for the sake of variation.  A few chasms here and there would be neat too.

Yeah, there will be settings for this, and I haven't done vertical connections yet, which should yield some traversable chasm-style structures.  This was just an example, and one that showed that features can be less "missable" this time around.  It's currently quite difficult to find cave features without using a utility like reveal, and especially hard without even using the site finder, because you could very well select an area with nothing.  With proper parameters, the presence of features can now be a foregone conclusion, and you won't have to spoil the types you are getting and just play as if you are going to confidently bump into one eventually while at the same time maintaining exact control of your overland embark location, if that's how you want to play it.

It would be cool if undergrounders warred with each other as well, and vied for control of territory.  You know, something like scattered tribes of gremlins being wiped out one by one by a spirit of fire commanding an army of magma men.  I doubt the current territory stuff is Z-flexible, but maybe later.

Yeah, this time around we want to have some basic entities down there, which will give the underground animal peoples their mounts and weapons back.  Territory might have to wait though, yeah, but it's a ~6x increase the way things are currently set up (with 5 layers), so it's not impossible, as the current territory tracking isn't a huge burden.

Quote from: The Minister
I wonder if there will be caves or natural openings to the surface that will give access to these things.

Almost the entire "Sites" section in the List of Remaining Items in the first post of this thread covers how caves will interact with these layers.  Cave sites might become no more than a vertical access point into these underground layers, in terms of map generation, plus any digging cave critters like antmen or kobolds etc. might do.

Quote from: Tonto
Can we expect some of the new cave systems to follow their geological tendencies - for instance high drainage areas over limestone?  Perhaps something like the caverns and watering holes throughout the Yucatan peninsula.

Most likely not at this point.  The principal goal of this underground update is to improve the fortress progression and adventure mode at a structural level, independent of atmosphere considerations (which are important but can't come first chronologically).  The options to pare down the layers into something less than those screenshots will likely just reduce the amount without respecting geology.  Later, quite likely, geology will become more respected under those settings.  It could also be respected to a lesser degree at higher frequency settings by influencing the type of layer rather than the presence of a layer.  I like approximating geology correctly so it's something I'm mindful of, but first we need some framework, exploration and conflict.

Quote from: Mechanoid
What's up with the wagon in the first screenshot? Do different types of wood have different colours now?

It could be a feather tree wagon, since I've been playing on smaller worlds that tend to have clumps of good and evil.  I've had purple wagons from glumprongs as well.  So yeah, the wood colors carry over now.  Most everything has a proper material definition.  The ~ in the picture is also a pet worm, I think, as those settings are currently bugged, and all the cats and dogs flash because they are missing their legs.  Easy bugs, so I've just let them sit.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: April 15, 2009, 03:43:02 am »

Quote from: Mechanoid
What's up with the wagon in the first screenshot? Do different types of wood have different colours now?

It could be a feather tree wagon, since I've been playing on smaller worlds that tend to have clumps of good and evil.  I've had purple wagons from glumprongs as well.

I almost called it with a link to Ebony, though I suppose feather trees are anything but "dense". Making a wagon out of it is a heresy of the highest order, of course.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: April 15, 2009, 03:43:20 am »

The ~ in the picture is also a pet worm, I think, as those settings are currently bugged, and all the cats and dogs flash because they are missing their legs.  Easy bugs, so I've just let them sit.

Sitting sounds like appropriate behavior for a legless dog.

There is a lot of really awesome stuff being hinted at, especially with regard to underground creatures.  I have a giant things-to-mod list for the next version, but I might have to play vanilla first to avoid stumbling across anything in the raws.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 03:46:12 am by Footkerchief »

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: April 15, 2009, 05:21:44 am »

this is gonna be absolutly epic, i don't really understand about the caverns though. Are they a new feature, like chasms or what?
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: April 15, 2009, 05:32:40 am »

I am ENTIRELY surprised that Toady managed to answer my hopeless to spell it out question.

Thanks Toady.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: April 15, 2009, 06:01:42 am »

Looks like we got finally a way to cross a ocean and visiting Islands without swiming.

It would be very interesting if a "not tunneling" civ could use 2 connected caves for traveling, Storage and/or war.

Next stop "Project: underground tower"!
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: April 15, 2009, 07:36:25 am »

Quote from: SirPenguin
Toady, what are your thoughts in regards to underground critters breaching into forts and the like?

You mean that tunneling discussion over which much blood has been shed in various suggestion threads?  The official view, I guess, is that for such a contentious issue, it should be initable -- our default init option is to allow a variety of tunneling in both sieges and from underground, but that it be relative infrequent and sensible when it occurs, rather than having a pack of giant moles that can just walk through the walls leaving a destructive trail of floors as you might get in a roguelike for example, as slow tunneling fits the strategic pace and "realism".

Awesome! It's good to hear things like this. So...tunneling will get implemented eventually. YAY!  8)

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: April 15, 2009, 08:59:56 am »

The tunnels currently (attempt to) bridge things like chasms, so the feature interactions here should be similar, though it's unclear of course what I'll manage.  If a tunnel hits an open cavern and then re-emerges, they should just brave the cavern, unless it's a bad area, then they should wall it off and try again.  But yeah, stuff is pretty cosmetic now, except for adv mode.  We'll get there with the release after this one most likely, as that will have armies moving around.

Ooh!  If the civ decides to wall off the bad area and try another way, can the walled off portion have some sort of strong, locked door instead of really walling it off?  Then adventurers can break them down and brave the dangerous deeps themselves.

Will this interact with the dangerous areas decisions above?  For example, after a tunnel is completed, it can be breached by nastiness.  Could it then be considered too dangerous and another would be tried to go around it while that would be walled off?  It would be an interesting problem once the player has some control over a moving army or two to investigate why no caravans are coming to your fortress any more, and then to discover it's because your civ couldn't reach you due to HFS and that you were declared a lost cause.

Yeah, there will be settings for this, and I haven't done vertical connections yet, which should yield some traversable chasm-style structures.  This was just an example, and one that showed that features can be less "missable" this time around.  It's currently quite difficult to find cave features without using a utility like reveal, and especially hard without even using the site finder, because you could very well select an area with nothing.  With proper parameters, the presence of features can now be a foregone conclusion, and you won't have to spoil the types you are getting and just play as if you are going to confidently bump into one eventually while at the same time maintaining exact control of your overland embark location, if that's how you want to play it.

Will other underground features use these caves as a framework?  Will cave rivers run through it with subterranean pools forming lakes?  What will actually differentiate these from the actual surface?

Yeah, this time around we want to have some basic entities down there, which will give the underground animal peoples their mounts and weapons back.

Does this mean that those creatures will have towns or nests of some sort?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: April 15, 2009, 10:29:55 am »

Looks like it'll be an awesome update!

Will there be any change to civs interacting with your fortress due to the underground critters? Right now we pretty much have War and Trade (even No Trade civs will come and trade, they just don't bring much). Will we have way to make civ entities more hostile/neutral/friendly then we currently do?

For example, it'd be neat to have batmen listed as 'hostile' so they attack you on sight but don't raid, ratmen 'aggressive' so they raid you, and antmen 'neutral' so they won't bother you unless you instigate. Eventually being able to do diplomacy with the various groups would be awesome, of course, but obviously out of reach for this release.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: April 15, 2009, 10:44:07 am »

this is gonna be absolutly epic, i don't really understand about the caverns though. Are they a new feature, like chasms or what?

I'm a little hazy on that one, too. I mean obviously it's awesome, but I don't really understand all the particulars/parameters/consequences, etc. all that clearly, yet...
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 1065