Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Three init properties: ECONOMY_THRESHOLD, SIEGE_THRESHOLD and SIEGE_BASELINE  (Read 882 times)

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com

This suggestion is aimed at players who run DF on a computer where a population of over 100 dwarves is a CPU killer.

ECONOMY_THRESHOLD sets the population at which the arrival of the baron and his buddies becomes available (instead of the current hardcoded threshold)

SIEGE_THRESHOLD sets the population at which goblins begin to consider sieging your fortress.

SIEGE_BASELINE sets the baseline population for goblin siege size.  For example, right now, you get your first sieges at 80 population.  The more populated your fort and the quicker you build wealth, the bigger the siege parties.  Tweaking this value adjusts the base size of sieges in this manner.  So for example, if you set it to 20 (along with SIEGE_THRESHOLD), goblins will siege you at 20 pop, but treat your fort as if it had a pop of 80 - rather than send a tiny little squad because your population is so small.

The aim is to allow for a "pocket"-sized game that nonetheless allows the player to experience the full features of the game and possibly generate fun from creating aberrant scenarios such as a baron coming in with your first wave of immigrants (threshold = 7) or massive sieges (where threshold and baseline = 1) that require you to set up a defense as soon as possible and find ways to survive before perhaps even your first wave of immigrants.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile

Your lattermost suggestion - early, early sieges - can be and has been done with settings already in the init for [trIGGER_TRADE] (or somesuch, haven't played lately).

Nothing says terror like a full wave of Orcs coming in your second winter.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

I like this suggestion.  It sounds like it would help out a lot when you can't have a personal supercomputer to play DF on.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

This suggestion is awesome. Survivor Fun mode: SIEGE_THRESHOLD:7, SIEGE_BASELINE:1
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:00:48 pm by RedWarrior0 »

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile

full support here. my computer starts chugging at ~80 dwarves and I rarely experience the full game for that reason (i generally run 'lite' forts with a popcap of 50 or so and just focus on building projects)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nothing says terror like a full wave of Orcs coming in your second winter.

False.  Nothing says terror like a squad of Orcs attacking in the first Summer.

I've had that happen a few starts...  And with a civilization of size 2 creatures at my command.... >.>
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On the OP - good idea.

Your lattermost suggestion - early, early sieges - can be and has been done with settings already in the init for [trIGGER_TRADE] (or somesuch, haven't played lately)

There's nothing in the init file like this.  Could you (or anyone) explain further?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

It's in the raw/object/entity_default.txt file.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's in the raw/object/entity_default.txt file.

Thanks!

And I found some other threads about it.  Search is everyone's friend.