Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Legendary Weapon Skill in ONE month  (Read 2130 times)

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Weapon Skill in ONE month
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 12:11:32 pm »

That's what I love about this game. Self-motivated dwarves tend to achieve a bit more. Personality is awesome ;)

I'd actually sort of post that as a bug, but it seems that the next version of DF is going to redo the skills system.

Well, it's just a theory at this point, but once the OP responds, I bet we'll notice that the super dwarf has one or more of those traits at the highest level.  As for ripping off clothes from under plate mail, I guess that's the definition of a Dwarven Wedgie.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 01:36:55 pm »

Here we go:

- very quick to anger
- almost never feels discouraged
- feels strong urges and seeks short-term rewards
- appreciates art and natural beauty
- good awareness of his own emotions
- open-minded to new ideas
- does not trust others
- disorganized
- doesn't go out of his way to do more work than necessary
- occasionally given to procrastination
- needs alcohol to get through working day
- hardened individual
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 01:49:42 pm »

There are no invincible squads. Don't grow over-confident in using them, or they'll all die horribly.

Perhaps not, but legendary +5 wrestling combined with legendary +5 shield use and superdwarvenly tough comes very, very close. I've had a single champion devastate whole goblin sieges including archer squads without a scratch, and even the whole non-SoF HFS (though he did get a few minor wounds from that).

The only realistic way such a champion could die is an insanely lucky arrow shot or so many enemies he passes out from exhaustion fighting them all (and even then you can block while passed out so it would take a while to kill him).

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 03:35:16 pm »

It could just be luck or a coincidence. I haven't heard of any incidences of a dwarf just naturally being good at something.

I don't know about that. Just now a dwarf became a legendary wrestler in almost no time at all.

Update with stats:

-Quick to anger.
-Occasionally overindulges.
-Assertive
-Isnt given to flights of fancy
-Trusting
-She would rather intimidate others than compromise with them
-Immodest
-Often does the first thing that comes to mind
-Needs alcohol to get through the working day

Bonus: Her name is URIST and she had a satisfying sparring session recently.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 03:40:15 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 03:54:27 pm »

There are no invincible squads. Don't grow over-confident in using them, or they'll all die horribly.

Perhaps not, but legendary +5 wrestling combined with legendary +5 shield use and superdwarvenly tough comes very, very close. I've had a single champion devastate whole goblin sieges including archer squads without a scratch, and even the whole non-SoF HFS (though he did get a few minor wounds from that).

The only realistic way such a champion could die is an insanely lucky arrow shot or so many enemies he passes out from exhaustion fighting them all (and even then you can block while passed out so it would take a while to kill him).

Probably the most realistic way, and probably more often that you think. I mean, I had a guy firing off his bolts in pretty well crafted armor, legendary in armor, crossbow and wrestling at a goblin bow squad. He killed them all, but the last guy managed to fire off an arrow that hit and got stuck in his throat. He took a few steps back, collapsed, and bled to death.

What are the freaking odds?!

Melee units are no threat to champions (unless there are like.. a million of em? Though I've seen a video of a dwarf champion taking on a lot of enemies. Estimate 200 enemies.) but the crappiest goblin bowman can do serious damage.

Remember to assign war dogs early, because when they reach hero/champion status, they can't be assigned anymore (and I hope that's going to be fixed in a later version).

Barag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 08:41:34 pm »

I would just like to point out that wrestling is bugged, in a glorious way. Training from no skill to legendary in wrestling only takes a season, give or take a month or two.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 11:02:46 pm »

Which is about as fast as mining in soil/sand, which makes some sense from the math end, since they're doing it pretty much full time.  I agree that's a bit fast, but... meh.

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 11:33:57 pm »

Ok, marksdwarf took a bit longer, but this wonder dwarf went from no skill in marksdwarf to legendary in just under two months. 

Maybe quick to anger makes a dwarf excel at military skills?

"Madness?  THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!"
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 11:52:08 pm »

Maybe it's because they need alcohol. Alcohol to dwarves is like caffeine to humans.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 09:58:29 am »

Maybe it's because they need alcohol. Alcohol to dwarves is like caffeine blood to humans.
Fixed.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 11:48:02 am »

Ok, marksdwarf took a bit longer, but this wonder dwarf went from no skill in marksdwarf to legendary in just under two months. 

Yep, it can go pretty quickly.. as long as you have plenty of wooden/bone bolts and hope that the champions aren't hogging all the archery targets. When that happens, your recruits are pretty much out of luck. Those champions fire bolts like a freaking handheld machine gun.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 12:23:17 pm »

for this reason, I am pondering renaming crossbows Thompsons.  Just for kicks.
I don't think that would affect anything, would it?

P.S., I know what I'm doing, and changing the display name, not the um... entry name? It's one of the tags.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 01:45:30 pm »

"In a fight, anger is as good as courage." - Welsh proverb
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

suicidal_dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 01:22:45 pm »

I got a novice marksdwarf up to a champion in a season. Zombie camels, elven ambushes and human sieges. Lots of bones for ammo and A LOT of targets. Took around 50 kills to go up to champion, with target training up to [no name] marksdwarf skill level.
Scamps has adopted ToadyOne!
ToadyOne cancels work: Play with cat
Pages: 1 [2]