Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Legendary Weapon Skill in ONE month  (Read 2125 times)

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legendary Weapon Skill in ONE month
« on: April 10, 2009, 11:03:43 pm »

I'm currently training an invincible squad of 4 dwarfs.
They'll have legendary armor user, shield user, and all dwarf weapons by the end (and swimming).

But one of them seem to excel at training than all the others.  She consistently gets to Legendary skill about a month after I start them on the routine (while the others are all half way there).

Is there some sort of hidden talent at work here?  Or do the other dwarfs just challenge her to spar more?
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Madmonkey24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Weapon Skill in ONE month
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 11:05:34 pm »

There are no invincible squads. Don't grow over-confident in using them, or they'll all die horribly.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 11:13:02 pm »

It could just be luck or a coincidence. I haven't heard of any incidences of a dwarf just naturally being good at something.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 11:48:29 pm »

If they are all in a squad, the squad leader will always end up training the most because the rest follow him/her around. Otherwise, I don't know. I've seen the same thing with my dwarfs, to the point of one Legendary and one Recruit that were drafted at the same time...

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 11:54:54 pm »

Wouldn't innate agility cause them to do everything, including training, faster?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 01:57:16 am »

Yeah, if one of them is Perfectly Agile and the others all rolled different stats, them the agile one would be markedly faster than the others, which can easily lead to experience-gain disparities.

Agility is overpowered.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Shadowex3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 02:21:27 am »

Make a 1 tile meeting zone and let everyone idle the bejeezus out of themselves there until they get massive stats.
Quote from: Hectonkhyres
I'm imagining crazed dwarves doing profoundly weird things. Urist McNutcase has developed a compulsion to jam anything colored blue up his anus, or alternately other peoples anuses
Quote from: Durt101
Erith Zasitshovith, Cat(Tame) cancels store item in stockpile: Too injured.
"Yay! Mouse! OH GOD, WHERE ARE MY HANDS?! OH GOD OH GOD WHAT THE HE- Oh. I'm a cat. Right."

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 03:22:27 am »

Invincible? You'll be surprised how "invincible" your army is. They might beat three hundred goblins and fifty megabeasts in melee, but no matter how much armor you have or how good your shield skill is, all it takes is one lucky arrow to the throat or somewhere else to incapacitate / kill a dwarf champion.

Speaking from experience, here.

suicidal_dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 07:42:04 am »

Legendary+5 wrestlers mostly dodge them. Re: Nist Akath as well.
Scamps has adopted ToadyOne!
ToadyOne cancels work: Play with cat

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 10:55:43 am »

That's why you go with Wrestling until it's legendary first. Then train them in whatever weapon you want. My real military always trains in Wrestling before getting armor or weapons. 

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 11:26:51 am »

you might want to give them armour before training wrestling if you don't like nervous system injuries...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 11:44:10 am »

Would you mind satisfying my curiosity and listing which Personality Traits your uber-dwarf has?  I'm going to bet on ACHIEVEMENT_STRIVING, SELF_DISCIPLINE, and perhaps EXCITEMENT_SEEKING.  In other words, a real "Ganbatte" dwarf.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 11:52:22 am »

That's what I love about this game. Self-motivated dwarves tend to achieve a bit more. Personality is awesome ;)

I'd actually sort of post that as a bug, but it seems that the next version of DF is going to redo the skills system.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 11:54:30 am »

That's why you go with Wrestling until it's legendary first. Then train them in whatever weapon you want. My real military always trains in Wrestling before getting armor or weapons. 

I avoid wrestling like the plague in my fortress. They do well enough without, and I retreat my troops inside/behind fortification when encountering entire goblin squads of (cross)bows. But the main reason for not using wrestling is the littering of irremovable clothes everywhere. Even with a full suit of plate mail they still manage to rip off each others clothes.. through the plate mail?

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 12:11:12 pm »

they still manage to rip off each others clothes.. through the plate mail?

platemail wedgies are one of the most painful incapacitating moves known to dwarfs
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.
Pages: [1] 2