Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Learning Curve - illustration  (Read 21804 times)

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Learning Curve - illustration
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2010, 08:05:30 am »

From the time I played simcity I remember that there were things that weren't known to the player base so 100% was non-existant.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2010, 08:31:40 am »

Waitaminute.. Doesn't the last one imply that after some time spent playing you cease to understand how the game works?

Yes, it should be something like level of skill you realise you have rather than how good you are.
As in you start knowing nothing, you think your getting better and understand how it all works and then everything goes wrong and you realise how big the game is and how little you know.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2010, 12:34:32 pm »

The sudden vertical uprise represents the moment when a player discovers that there is a DF wiki... ;)
;)
But that implies that if you sacrifice enough, you find the wiki. This isn't true

I view Dwarf fortress learning curve more like a step pyramid. You have your initial "I can survive!" which is one sharp cliff, then you have a gentle curve to the base of the "I can weaponize magma!" cliff.
Of course now there is a third step, the "I know how to make a axedwarf get off his lazy butt and kill a kobold!" cliff.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2010, 04:05:04 pm »

Waitaminute.. Doesn't the last one imply that after some time spent playing you cease to understand how the game works?
Yes.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]