Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Learning Curve - illustration  (Read 21808 times)

marchewa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Learning Curve - illustration
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2010, 11:14:48 am »

Does this satisfy you?

(sure, it's always easier to grumble, than to make something by yourself...)

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2010, 11:38:59 am »

A fine and proper engraving! Including the menacing spike. Tis all in the details!

---

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2010, 11:45:32 am »

Now we must determine if the misuse of "good" in "How good you know the game" fits the theme of Dwarf Fortress, or if the grammar should be fixed.[/GrammarNazi]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2010, 11:46:01 am »

*Sigh.*
That graph indicates that after a certain amount of time you suddenly become very very good at the game.

That's not a difficult learning curve (yes, it takes longer to get good, as opposed to flipping it over the line y = x where it means you become good instantly after very little time, then never improve).

A truely difficult game like DF would have a learning curve that is nearly flat:

Very little improvement, regardless of time, or effort spent.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2010, 11:50:47 am »

*Sigh.*
That graph indicates that after a certain amount of time you suddenly become very very good at the game.

That's not a difficult learning curve (yes, it takes longer to get good, as opposed to flipping it over the line y = x where it means you become good instantly after very little time, then never improve).

A truely difficult game like DF would have a learning curve that is nearly flat:

Very little improvement, regardless of time, or effort spent.

The thing is, with a game like DF, for many players there comes a time (if they stick with it long enough) were it all suddenly clicks and starts to make sense.  At which point the player can learn whatever remains in the game relatively quickly, because the conceptual model just acquired makes it all seem so obvious.  At least, that was roughly my experience, and seems to agree with what many others have said also.

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2010, 11:56:57 am »

The message is not so much mathematical, as psychological. You need to climb vertically after traversing dangerous terrain. Maybe you number crunchers can manage to come up with a graph representing every minutia down to the quantum level, and post it so we can be properly educated. But I bet it would be more boring to look at. :P

---

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2010, 11:59:12 am »

I love it, marchewa - and I think it's accurate. There are only two types of DF players - new players and elitist jerks.  :-X
This graph properly describes the transformation from not knowing anything at all to knowing everything all the time. It's like someone flipped a switch.

Enough baiting from me!
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

marchewa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2010, 02:03:20 pm »

A fine and proper engraving! Including the menacing spike. Tis all in the details!

---
And a Giant Corkscrew! ;)
Now we must determine if the misuse of "good" in "How good you know the game" fits the theme of Dwarf Fortress, or if the grammar should be fixed.[/GrammarNazi]
Daaamn... I just knew I will miss something ;) Pardon me, English is not mi first language.
The thing is, with a game like DF, for many players there comes a time (if they stick with it long enough) were it all suddenly clicks and starts to make sense.  At which point the player can learn whatever remains in the game relatively quickly, because the conceptual model just acquired makes it all seem so obvious.  At least, that was roughly my experience, and seems to agree with what many others have said also.
The sudden vertical uprise represents the moment when a player discovers that there is a DF wiki... ;)

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2010, 02:04:53 pm »

I don't care what it means, it's beautiful. Especially the silver giant corkscrew trap and the buried fossils.

EDIT: Damn, ninja-ed by the artist.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2010, 02:22:53 pm »

The learning curve of DF reminds me of the times I've visited/climbed the Mayan ruins in Mexico.  Lots of very steep increments.  A lot of work to get up, but once there...  Wow!
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2010, 07:00:34 pm »

This is funny and scary to observe how joke is teared apart and nitpicked to death. Why so serrrioussss...?

Or it is just trolling. Hard to tell.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2010, 09:08:22 pm »

Here is a (realistic) Learning curve for dwarf fortress. Link to page on Graphjam.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2010, 09:14:44 pm »

There we go, that's better. :D

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2010, 07:09:12 am »

Waitaminute.. Doesn't the last one imply that after some time spent playing you cease to understand how the game works?
Love, scriver~

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2010, 07:45:30 am »

you guys are right. especially this:
It requires two different levels of required player skill at the same time. I'd say that's impossible. A game can't be both hard and easy.

Edit: Three, even.
we all know that in mathematics there is only one possible (y) for each (x). i think it's just meant to be funny...

But seriously about learning curve, i always thought x is the amount of time, and y is "how good you understand the game". then: for DF the graph would rise very slowly, and for let's just say simcity it would be very steep, because you get to understand sim city much faster. also for simcity at the end it would be very high, and for DF would be lower - i can imagine it is more common to understand simcity in 100% than to understand DF in even 95%4% ;)
Fix'd
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5