Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Painting, Paper, and Smoothing  (Read 3470 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Three suggestions
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 01:59:42 pm »

Pottery and other stuff like that is in the bloats.

# Bloat77, CLAY, MUD, ADOBE STUFF, (Future): Can use the kiln, have glazes, etc. Bricks.

As for sand walls etc. -- currently the game doesn't model erosion or anything like that, meaning sand walls are just as permanent as stone ones.  Until this gets addressed, I'd prefer to minimize the number of absurdities.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 03:25:52 pm »

Why shouldn't we be able to make clay?  I'm pretty sure the ancient Romans did.  I don't see what's so un-dwarven about clay burned into a stone form.

Ancient Romans? More like ancient Mesopotamians, and other even older societies. We have clay remains from Jericho, 7000 BC. Romans were a bit more advanced, they knew how to make cement.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 04:57:32 pm »

Why shouldn't we be able to make clay?  I'm pretty sure the ancient Romans did.  I don't see what's so un-dwarven about clay burned into a stone form.

Ancient Romans? More like ancient Mesopotamians, and other even older societies. We have clay remains from Jericho, 7000 BC. Romans were a bit more advanced, they knew how to make cement.
Doesn't mean they never used clay.  But point made.  Cement would also be a good addition, perhaps as a way to fill in dug out tiles.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 05:18:13 pm »

Doesn't mean they never used clay.  But point made.  Cement would also be a good addition, perhaps as a way to fill in dug out tiles.

Hehe, not if Toady sticks to the "pre-14th century technology" maxim he's going by (if interpreted as "medieval" or "dark ages"): cement was forgotten after Rome (from Byzantine time) until the the late medieval age. :P
You are a pirate!

If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2009, 06:20:39 pm »

Hehe, not if Toady sticks to the "pre-14th century technology" maxim he's going by (if interpreted as "medieval" or "dark ages"): cement was forgotten after Rome (from Byzantine time) until the the late medieval age. :P

That's meant as a cutoff point.  It's not like bronze was in wide use at that point either.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 06:29:28 pm »

Dude, cement is an ingredient of concrete, get your constructional terms correct

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 06:45:01 pm »

Dude, cement is an ingredient of concrete, get your constructional terms correct

Quote from: Dictionary.dom
Code: [Select]
ce·ment      (sĭ-měnt') 
n. 

1. A building material made by grinding calcined limestone and clay to a
            fine powder, which can be mixed with water and poured to set as a
            solid mass or used as an ingredient in making mortar or concrete.
         2. Portland cement.
         3. Concrete.

The word is of latin origin (caementum), while concrete is more modern. What we today call concrete was then known as cement. Cement is still used synonymously with concrete in certain parts or the world.

Compare with:

Quote from: dictionary.com
concrete  (adj.)
1471, from L. concretus, pp. of concrescere "to grow together," from com- "together" + crescere "to grow" (see crescent). A logicians' term until meaning began to expand 1600s. Noun sense of "building material made from cement, etc." is first recorded 1834.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 06:52:04 pm by Mikademus »
You are a pirate!

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2009, 01:11:56 pm »

I don't understand it...

How many people here ever made a sand castle?

I assure you that Smoothing Sand and mud walls are more then possible...

Thank you!  I feel vindicated.  :)
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
Re: Painting, Paper, and Smoothing
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2009, 04:03:03 pm »

I would absolutely love to be able to build giant castles from sand, and engrave them with elaborate reliefs.

I do feel that erosion, wall crumbling and other dangers of building a city from sand should be implemented before sand engraving or even smoothing gets put in. You gotta have the groundwork first.

"Captain MadHelm! The goblins have a catapult."

"Blast it all! I knew I should have ordered this thing made out of wood!"
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
Re: Painting, Paper, and Smoothing
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2009, 02:01:39 pm »

Anyone else wanna put their two cents in?
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0
Pages: 1 2 [3]