Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Painting, Paper, and Smoothing  (Read 3479 times)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
Painting, Paper, and Smoothing
« on: January 30, 2009, 06:27:06 pm »

I just emailed this to Toady, but I thought you guys could discuss this too:

1. I know this is very OCD, but could you please allow us to smooth sandy/peaty/earthy soil?  I know in real life it wouldn't make much difference, but visually it helps to make a space feel more formal.  At the very least the walls.  You could make it not improve the value and disallow engraving and fortifications.

2. Could you enable painting?  Wall and item painting would be fun...

3. wood + bucket of water + workshop = pulp
    pulp + some skill + workshop = paper
    paper(s) + some skill + workshop = blank book or scroll
    blank book or scroll + writing skill + study = trade good book, with description of random story/historical event(s)

Keep up the good work!

PS. Topic name has changed due to request.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:09:41 pm by Rainseeker »
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Three suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 06:36:33 pm »

"Just discuss the five suggestions-"
"Three suggestions."
"..three suggestions as best you can."

How exactly would wall painting work? Perhaps designate->paint->color and the dwarfs use dyes?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 06:42:22 pm by Fenrir »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 06:55:05 pm »

This thread-whatever faults it might possess-gets bonus points for suggesting wood pulp, which would ofcourse piss off the elves.

Urist McElfHater: "I'd never thought of actually pulping the trees before..."

Especially when you handed them a paper reciept after every transaction, or carefully jotted down all their obnoxious requests. In triplicate.
For they would be your masters.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 06:57:04 pm »

My take:

1) Dirt walls are SUPPOSED to look less awesome.  If you really want them to be smoothed without adding value, then dig out one more square in each direction, and build constructed walls out of stone or wood!

2) I like paint.  That sounds like a lot of fun.

3) That's planned, though the details are sketchy, but it's pretty far in the future because it's kind of huge.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 07:03:18 pm »

1.  I understand your aesthetic concerns, but... sand and other soils should probably get LESS shape-able if anything.  I mean, sand stairs?

2.  Frescoes!  Yes please.  They should be more easily defaced than engravings, though.

3.  This is mostly in the dev notes already:

# Core99, WRITING, (Future): Existing objects (such as wall engravings and blades) need to be able to support writing in any of the in-game languages, and there can be associated skills/professions for this. Requires Core98.
# Core100, NEW LANGUAGE ITEMS, (Future): Parchment, vellum and their buddies then books, songs, poems... all for your entertainment (and horror, if there are random poems). Requires Core99.

But the wood pulp is a new idea -- hadn't seen any suggestions for a paper-making process before.  I like it.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 07:35:20 pm »

I agree about the sand stairs, and I'm still a little paranoid about antmen (even though they don't tunnel...or so I've been told...), but I agree that it ought to be possible to make packed dirt/sand/soil floors.

Floors only, though. If you don't like rough dirt walls, just face 'em with stone blocks. Atleast until we get some kind of wall-bracing. After that, a little smoothing might be ok (you could do kind of a half-assed adobe thing, by spraying the walls with water and then smoothing them out, or even real adobe/brick.).

Still no stairs, though.
For they would be your masters.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 08:21:01 pm »

What kind of soil is it that can be mixed with animal blood to make it hard and shiny?  That would be awesome to be implement as well.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 10:32:09 am »

re #2: Yeah, this is a good idea, so +1 vote!  :)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 10:47:34 am »

Ok, if this thread actually contains something worthwhile, please, OP, rename it to something meaningful and descriptive. It is impossible to find any suggestion some time later when its thread has a name like this one...
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 10:54:41 am »

let me see

1) I entirely agree... Smoothed walls of mud and sand are much more stable if done correctly. (another word for Smoothed mud is brick :D)

2) Goes without saying... unless you mean immediately.

3) Id think they would use objects other then wood... Such as Leather/skin or cotton.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 11:47:29 am »

No. 1: i disagree, if you want it to be smooth then dig the room slightly bigger and build constructed walls and then build stone floors over the mud floor.

No. 2: yes sounds good not sure how you go about making pigment/paint though

No. 3: sounds good too
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 12:57:55 pm »

No. 1: i disagree, if you want it to be smooth then dig the room slightly bigger and build constructed walls and then build stone floors over the mud floor.
Why?  There are, as has already been mentioned, soil types that can be smoothed.  Just saying "I don't want that, do this instead" without giving any solid reason is no good.

For example, you dig out a tunnel in clay loam.  There are lots of roots, giving the walls a very rough look.  The roots sticking out and giving the room a jagged edge can be cut, and the clay loam can be dampened and wiped smooth.  When it dries, you have a nice smooth dirt wall.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

BonSequitur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 01:56:40 pm »

I don't want soil to be smoothable, as it makes little sense, but it would be good to be able to simply build walls "over" soil walls to brace them, likewise with floors. It makes sense and would look neater than simply digging out and building walls, as well as reducing micromanagement.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 02:11:03 pm »

I don't understand it...

How many people here ever made a sand castle?

I assure you that Smoothing Sand and mud walls are more then possible...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 02:21:53 pm »

I don't understand it...

How many people here ever made a sand castle?

I assure you that Smoothing Sand and mud walls are more then possible...
I feel stupid for not having brought that up in my first post on this thread.  Yeah, this pretty much destroys all arguments against smoothing soil.
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2 3