Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: 9/11 Its been a while but I never saw this mentioned...  (Read 16219 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: 9/11 Its been a while but I never saw this mentioned...
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2009, 05:10:42 am »

Just the little risks of running for office in Texas.  But hey, just look how it backfired for Tom DeLay.  Long story...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2009, 05:13:42 am »

A Dwarf Fortress fanatic running for office? Congratulations and good luck, Aquizzar, but I sorta had to think of Hunter Thomson ... to quote Wikipedia:

"In 1970 Thompson ran for sheriff of Pitkin County, Colorado, as part of a group of citizens running for local offices on the "Freak Power" ticket. The platform included promoting the decriminalization of drugs (for personal use only, not trafficking, as he disapproved of profiteering), tearing up the streets and turning them into grassy pedestrian malls, banning any building so tall as to obscure the view of the mountains, and renaming Aspen "Fat City" to deter investors. Thompson, having shaved his head, referred to his opponent as "my long-haired opponent", as the Republican candidate had a crew cut.

With polls showing him with a slight lead in a three-way race, Thompson appeared at Rolling Stone magazine headquarters in San Francisco with a six-pack of beer in hand and declared to editor Jann Wenner that he was about to be elected the next sheriff of Aspen, Colorado, and wished to write about the Freak Power movement.[15] Thus, Thompson's first article in Rolling Stone was published as The Battle of Aspen with the byline "By: Dr. Hunter S. Thompson (Candidate for Sheriff)." Despite the publicity, Thompson ended up narrowly losing the election. While actually carrying the city of Aspen, he only garnered 44% of the county-wide vote in what became a two-way race as the Republican candidate for sheriff agreed to withdraw from the contest a few days before the election in order to consolidate the anti-Thompson votes, in return for the Democrats withdrawing their candidate for county commissioner. Thompson later remarked that the Rolling Stone article mobilized his opposition far more than his supporters."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_S._Thompson

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2009, 07:33:56 am »

Quote from: Aqizzar
common sense
Hmph. Had I tried to rebuke mainiac's common sense argument, it'd be nowhere as clearly laid out as that. It would've probably spurred more heated arguments in response and the thread would continue. Oh, well.

Can somebody tell me what movie is the bomber-batman from?

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2009, 09:28:33 pm »

Looks like it's from the batman and robin series, pretty old now.
*BaM!* *Pow!* *THWACK!*

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2009, 02:48:45 am »

"Good thing we landed in this pile of raw rubber batman!"
"You just have to know where to look robin"

Best. batman. ever.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2009, 03:09:03 am »

*Nuns* *Peace Corp* *Baby Carriage* *Ducks* *Lovers*

"Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb..."

One of the best scenes in movie history.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2009, 03:09:12 am »

Keep us posted Aqizzar!

I'd donate for another sign, but all of my disposable income went to a money order for Toady.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2009, 12:15:37 pm »

If there's still enough time before the election, you should take a page out of the Obama handbook and try to text message people.  Text messaging campaigns require technical sophistication but they're cost effective and don't require manpower.

You obviously don't have the Obama grassroots to give you tons of numbers to text.  But if you put a "text here for more info!" number on your signs, some people call since a text doesn't take much time.  Then you can send back a real short pitch or a link to a website.  But more importantly, every number you get is number you can mass text on election day, asking them to make time to vote.  It could mean a couple hundred votes.  Or it could be more since JoP elections feature such low turnoutand Hispanic voters responded best to text and are a big deal in Dallas.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2009, 03:48:48 pm »

Hey, thanks for the support and such.  Great ideas all around, but I'm pretty sure I can't even put my name on the ballot until next year.  So it's going to be awhile.

One thing I'm worried about is - The incumbent is doubtless a pretty rich guy, and isn't used to people running against him.  If I start running too soon, he could easily out-campaign me with far more money.  I'm going to discuss it with an expert though, to get a handle on what all I need to do.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2009, 04:29:31 pm »

How much money is he going to spend on a JoP position anyway?  If he spends a lot, keep running cheap campaigns every election so he goes broke buying votes.

But even if he buys some radio ads or something, how much of that will translate into actual votes rather then soft support?  You can beat this bastard!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2009, 04:32:22 pm »

How much money is he going to spend on a JoP position anyway?  If he spends a lot, keep running cheap campaigns every election so he goes broke buying votes.

But even if he buys some radio ads or something, how much of that will translate into actual votes rather then soft support?  You can beat this bastard!

Past experience in the matter being as it is, I'm rather optimistic.  Maybe more than I should be, but I imagine the guy won't know, and certainly won't care, that I'm running against him, figuring I'd pose no threat.

Running against him again however is another matter.  This election is the fulcrum of my career plans as an MMO mogul, and I can't afford to wait around another four years.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2009, 04:33:21 pm »

For what it's worth... (NULL) you have my total confidence and support Aqizzar.  I'll send powerfull magical energies your way.  :P  If you ever need Internet advertising (close to SPAMING but not) I'm here, hell, we're all here.  I can help you with the spanish community ;)
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]