Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: 9/11 Its been a while but I never saw this mentioned...  (Read 16220 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: 9/11 Its been a while but I never saw this mentioned...
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2009, 10:28:39 pm »

Hey man, I'm all for examining things.

But...

That argument says that all of Hitlers actions were legitimate!

lololololololololololololololz

Goodwin's law aside, I hope the reduction to absurdity demonstrates how "legitimate" and "rationalized" aren't the same.  I am unaware of serious thinkers who would say that religious persecution is just.

Code Zero, care to tell us what is the legitimate argument?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2009, 10:35:10 pm »

I was just being a smart alec, you know I side with pallazo pretty much. The legitimate reason of saving souls is interchangable with lives.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2009, 10:42:56 pm »

I was just being a smart alec, you know I side with pallazo pretty much. The legitimate reason of saving souls is interchangable with lives.

Well, clearly we've got different notions of legitimate.

Your notion of legitimate, I can't object to however, it's perfectly legitimate.  But I do tend to prefer a more stringent definition (see hitler reference.)
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2009, 10:46:59 pm »

Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2009, 10:50:23 pm »

What took you so damn long Cthulhu?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2009, 11:39:35 pm »

What took you so damn long Cthulhu?

I would like to note that I think this argument has pretty much winded down.  We've eliminated eliminated the points of contention and come down to a pretty simple explanation for our differing views.  He holds that we should be cynical towards motivations in all cases and thus we do not need to be worried about what the subtext of a statement says about the morality of the subjects motivations.  I maintain that subtext about motivation is essential to the words meaning and thus ignoring the subtext is drawing a false comparison.  While he can see me as making an arbitrary distinction and I can see him as losing sight of truth by blurring the lines, our positions are pretty clearly laid out and reasonable at this point.

So uh, the fight you're expecting is kinda over at this point.

Unless Il Palazzo wants to delve into the existance of morality.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2009, 11:46:05 pm »

What's this? An intelligent discussion? TERRORISM!
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2009, 11:48:26 pm »

What's this? An intelligent discussion? TERRORISM!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2009, 12:10:57 am »

Captain Hat: Best Movie Scene Ever.

I would like to note that I think this argument has pretty much winded down.  We've eliminated eliminated the points of contention and come down to a pretty simple explanation for our differing views.  He holds that we should be cynical towards motivations in all cases and thus we do not need to be worried about what the subtext of a statement says about the morality of the subjects motivations.  I maintain that subtext about motivation is essential to the words meaning and thus ignoring the subtext is drawing a false comparison.  While he can see me as making an arbitrary distinction and I can see him as losing sight of truth by blurring the lines, our positions are pretty clearly laid out and reasonable at this point.

So uh, the fight you're expecting is kinda over at this point.

...Well, I've been trying to keep up on your argument - the subject of imprisonment and rationality of seizure is rather important to me, as I'm pursuing a career in criminal justice.  Likewise, I've studied argumentative method quite a bit, and both of you are pretty worrying in that regard.

Anyway, at the risk of starting this up again, I'll give you my take.  I'm just going to ignore any analogy of Guantanamo to the Spanish Inquisition, because I think both of you were putting yourselves too close to the argument over your perceptions of meaning.  This just about imprisoning "terrorists".

Moral reasoning or theoretical risk must be ignored when deciding to imprison or hold someone, not out of cynicism, but out of recognition of fallibility.  The whole point of written law is to try to establish what is "right" and "wrong" according to the best consensus on practical threat of a person's actions.  Legal action, including forcible arrest, must only ever be undertaken when there is obvious cause, not possible cause or belief of moral righteousness.  Punishment must likewise follow exactly the written rules for the situation and crimes, where guilt can be definitively proven.

There is no threat, no matter how great, that nullifies those laws, at any time, or under circumstances.  If we can act outside those laws, then they are not laws at all.  The whole reason we have them if to avoid questions of morality, for no matter how certain any one person may be, there will always be disagreement, most certainly of all by the accused, and morality is by nature undefinable.

Seizure of people and punishment thereof must only be undertaken for definitive reasons, and nothing less - we must, as a humane society, always err on the side of innocent intent.  But, will bad people slip through this net and do evil things to good people?  Yes.  That is the price of freedom - not the willingness to give up rights for any particular person, but the understanding that any particular person may be harmed, because someone with evil intent could not be legally stopped in time.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2009, 12:57:12 am »

Very fine summery of why we should never consider ourselves above the law in the matter of criminal justice.

Gitmo was definitely a case of unlawful imprisonment (habeus corpus being the most flagrant violation).  I believe the lack of legal oversight is even worse then the fact that innocent men were imprisoned.  Mistakes happen.  But we can't tolerate the institutionalization of those mistakes.  That strikes at the legitimacy of justice itself.  To have had Gitmo ever exist is a stain upon American justice.

I'd question the universality of your argument for obedience to the law however.  While we must certainly be aware of our own human tendency to wrongfully judge, I'm skeptical of an absolute stance.  Look at the history of hate crimes in the US for example.  While we now have laws in place to target hate crimes, for a long period there were none.  Thus to fight hate crimes, many people often resorted to what was cruel and unusual punishment under the existing laws, by giving a case special attention because it was a hate crime.  And more generally, it would be quite naive to think that judges and juries don't change the severity of their sentences based on crimes outside the trials scope.  While we should usually strive for justice to be blind, we must recognize the fact that she is not entirely undiscerning.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2009, 01:06:22 am »

I know that my absolutist stance on respect for the law completely fails to recognize when the law itself is tyrannical, or in any way inhibits recourse against misuse of law.  It's a very Americanist view, taking into account the stated aim of American legal philosophy that the accused should have recourse not just against the accuser, but the law itself.  Which might actually take my view beyond the American definition entirely.  But hey, that's why I'm running for office.

For someone stuck under a legal system where recourse or attempts to change the system are themselves illegal, obviously my previous arguments don't apply.  Viva la Revolucion.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2009, 03:22:05 am »

You're running for office?  What office?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2009, 05:29:44 am »

Oh god, I was wrong. You were all sensible

I apologize

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2009, 06:13:01 am »

You were all sensible

Truly frightening?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2009, 07:18:49 am »

Spoiler: morality (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10