Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Keshanlidod - Braving the Badlands  (Read 2189 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Keshanlidod - Braving the Badlands
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 10:48:01 pm »

RECLAIM

Scenario, the mountain homes are in distress because ties between the humies was lost in the caravan, a military party has been sent, and have leads on many places.

One in the mountains, one in the woodlands, and many more, at the bottom of the list of leads is haunted badlands. After exhausting all possible leads... well of course you know where it goes from here.

Bring plenty of spear dwarfs for teh lulz.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 08:36:08 pm »

(Hah, thought I wasn't going to reclaim, did you?)

The story didn't end there.

The merchant's families became worried at the end of the month, and very worried by the end of Slate. They filed missing persons reports, and the mountainhomes started investigating on the 12th. After a year, The small army has finally found their quarry, but not without resistance...

Log of Vylka Metobmegid, 28th Granite

Well, sorry I haven't reported in a while, Diary. This whole fiasco has kept me a tad busy. We were sent to look for some lost merchants, expecting to find them screwing around in the wood, or captured and eaten by those treacharous elves. We returned only with dead bodies wolf bites, and confused elves who'd never heard of the merchants. We then tried the desert, thinking the dwarves couldv'e been ambused by goblins, only to have more dwarves killed and a bunch of supplies lost due to getting rash and wandering too close to a gobbo fort. With low spirits and numbers, we desperately asked around what possible other location the merchants would be in. One human merchant directed us to the sinister badlands to the north. We really had no other ideas. The badlands claimed more lives, and we were about ready to abandon the search when we spotted a shape off in the distance. upon closer inspection, it was a broken wagon, with the dusty and tattered banners of the mountainhome, barrels falling out the side of the decrepit thing. Unfortunately, as soon as we got close enough to the wagon to reclaim the goods in it, Skeleatal fish sprung out of the rivir, killing what was left of out poor pets and another few dwarves-not to mention breaking the wheels of our own wagon, tipping it over and rendering it immobile. We suspect this is the same thin that happened to the merchants. We would've assumed that the merchants had died then and there, but another dwarf spotted a hole in the ground in the distance. I explored the hole myself. There was a skeleton of a dwarf beard and clothing still clinging to it, many of the bones broken, and one of the arms detached from the resto of the skeleton completely. By the corpse, on the wall, there was horrible writing in blood, most of it rubbed away by time, wind, and signs of struggle but still barely legible.

Ru...ay...
...is pla....curse...
...e...rie...cut ti...e...
W...e... Mis...ken...
Learn fr...m...ake...
...et awa...fr...ere...
...ever...com...ack...

From this we assume they tried to cut across the badlands to save time or something. We found a faded papyrus note with more warnings.

To say the least, all of this talk of curses and death certainly hasn't been good on our already failing morale.

Two of us have subbcumbed to despair, sulking around the cave entrance, waiting for death to take them. Another has gone mad, yelling warnings, singing disturbing songs in haunting tones all the while ripping off this armor and clothing. Several others have started bursting out into tears and violence, killing and injuring more people, not to mention just hurting morale more.

I don't see much hope, but I've decided to hold out. I've found etchings of a plan in the basement, where the vestiges of bedrooms were, and there were plans of a watery deathtrap and plans of a gigantic tomb area-a necropolis. Setting my hobby to good use, I started working loose stone into mechanisms so I can create a retracting bridge to seal the small fort. We'll survive this disaster yet.

I christen this place Flamewastes. We shall survive!

( Also, I'm not going to post certain dwarves right now because most of them are spiraling into madness or are injured. After everything cools down and the dwarves are back to a relative level of sanity, I'll post specific dwarves.

For now, we have Marksdwarves, Axedwarves, Swordsdwarves and Hammerdwarves. Request a military skill and a gender along with a name, And I'll try to find a non-insane/tantruming dwarf like that. )
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 08:42:00 pm by Vincent »
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 01:25:53 am »

Ah, poor Sil. And I really thought we'd make it.  :-[ Oh well. Give me a marksdwarf, maybe the brother/son sister/daughter of Sil, and name them Sreth if male, or Sarh if female. Either ones fine. Im assuming I'm allowed to here, since I got one of the first ones. If not, thats fine.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 02:12:23 am »

I'm in as a swordsdwarf, preferably a squad leader. Name of Neo and no living relatives if you can work a reference like that into the story.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 02:26:00 am »

I'll take any kind of melee dwarf, preferably an axedwarf.  'Gaius' is male, 'Milly' if female.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 04:11:51 am »

Flint II
the hammerdwarf

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 10:07:16 am »

(( Added, But don't bet on how long they will last. ))

Log of Vylka Metobmegid, 25th Felsite

Things have been going badly over the past month, journal.

The writing on the wall was right. This place is cursed. Of the original 28 of us that arrived here, only about 10 remain. Many of us have fell to the skeletal fish and camels that wander the landscape. More have been claimed by madness, and more still to despair. Since last I wrote, another hammerdwarf has fallen to the babbling madness, another axedwarf to melancholy. To make matters worse, one of our miners went beserk, slaughtering two of our animals before getting his skull crushed by one of my traps. Those of us who are left are miserable , injured, or both. most people who were injured earlier were claimed by thirst, as they refused alcohol, wanting water instead. They knew as well as us that the river itself was hostile, and the blood of many a fighter polluted the water. They insisted on water anyway, and every time someone went to complete their inabe demands, they were scared away by skeletal fish. We've started work on a way to siphon water into our base so we can drink it, but It's too late for them now. I just hope we have time to complete the well before we get more wounded.
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 08:42:50 pm »

(Double post ftw!)

Log of Vylka Metobmegid, 7th Hematite

It seems nowadays that I only write in my journal to record death. Another dwarf has been claimed by melancholy, and Neo, the current leader of what's left of our fighters, has suffocated after being strangled to death by a tantruming dwarf. We've had to start slinging the bodies into a graveyard, as we don't even have proper tombs set up.

There are only six sane dwarves left of our original fifty. I don't know How long I'll last, but hopefully at least until rescue.

*The rest of the writing is obscured by blood spatter.*

The rest is fairly unintresting. The 5 dwarves all go batshit insane save one, and the final dwarf(Also the sane one) Rested in bed, and died of thirst.

I'm not coninuing this. It's apparent that I'll only get failure after failure. While this is entertaining for a bit, It just gets repetitive and frusrating.

Go home.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 09:20:59 pm by Vincent »
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 09:50:07 pm »

Succession anyone?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 01:25:52 am »

I'm game. If each wave of doomed dwarves builds just a little bit more of the defenses, perhaps eventually a breeding pair will manage to gain a toehold. :)

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 08:44:15 pm »

... However, sucession is a fine Idea.

...If someone tells me how to transport world data and saves (never done it before lol) I'll set this train wreck in motion once again.
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 11:46:54 pm »

... However, sucession is a fine Idea.

...If someone tells me how to transport world data and saves (never done it before lol) I'll set this train wreck in motion once again.

You just go into the save folder, zip or rar the region file, and upload the rar'd file to the Dwarf Fortress File Depot.  dffd.wimbli.com/

Then post the link to the save download on the forum for all to sacrifice countless dwarves attempting to reclaim enjoy.

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 06:36:32 pm »

After tons of frustration, Huzzah!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=795

Blood for the blood god!
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]