Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Keshanlidod - Braving the Badlands  (Read 2192 times)

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
Keshanlidod - Braving the Badlands
« on: January 03, 2009, 01:36:49 am »

We never intended to stop here.

We're just some merchant caravan, really. We were heading north from a human town, and we were expected to reach the Mountainhomes within the month. Our leader, and my friend, decided it would be quicker if we cut across the badlands instead of taking the human road around.

Damn, he was wrong.

The wagon broke apart within a day of the rough terrain. It was never designed for running over boulders. Worse, we were accosted by skeletal camels and fish. Constantly. I had my more-than-fair share of work fending off the buggers while the bloody craftsdwarf sat in the wagon, hoping to hell he didn't get hurt.

I swear, he's going to be the death of us all...

Our Wagon broke down right next to the stream he was following. I'm still unsure how he planned on crossing it with the wagon. Perhaps he planned on making the miners dig out a quarry and build a bridge all the while skeletal Pike nibble at their toes.

Nevertheless, we have no choice. It's much too far to walk, we'd run out of food long before we reached another town. Stuck in the middle of bloody effing nowhere, We're going to have to do the dwarven thing... and carve out a home for ourselves out of this tainted soil.

-----

Welcome to Flamewastes, A community fortress I'm making. Located in Sinister Badlands with a stream directly nearby, It's sure to be very interesting...

We have 6 free dwarves- a Miner/Mason, A Carpenter/Woodcutter, a Multitalent Craftsdwarf/Leader, A Hunter/Marksdwarf, a Miner/Mechanic, and a Farmer/Cook. The Hammerdwarf is mine.

Strike the earth!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:40:49 am by Vincent »
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Keshanlidod - Braving the Badlands
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 02:12:34 am »

I'll take the miner/mechanic. Name him Sil. Every now and then, have him come up with some kind of defense mechanism. Sounds interesting. Hope we survive! I wonder what will happen when the caravan comes...?

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 02:28:59 am »

(EDIT: And we're back online! However, The goods and the exact skills are a tad different, but the jist is the same.)

Sil added. I already have a nifty and possibly impractical defense mechanism in mind!

But, sadly, I have to hit the proverbial sack. Expect updates daily!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 02:44:47 am by Vincent »
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 03:07:01 am »

After (literally) rolling a dice to decide which dwarf I wanted, I would like to request the Farmer/Cook.  Named Mook.

As for personality, he/she will control food rationing with an iron fist.  Not because the wagon broke down in a badland, but because of control issues.  In reflection of the selection method, Mook should also be a gambler, taking ridiculous risks for no real reason.  If there is an aspect of his/her personality which specifically states "opposed to risk-taking" then it can be played off as split/dual personality disorder.

In short, a crazy gambling control-freak farmer/cook.  Named Mook.  Like a cat.  Or a disposable henchman-esque enemy.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 03:17:02 am »

I love survivalism scenarios, and I've long wanted to participate in a community fortress. May I take the miner/mason, name of Snuzulsa? Mechanical tricks and gizmos are a fine sideshow, and it's always nice to be able to crunch a few stray skulls with a hammer, but the thing that's going to save is is good, strong, solid _walls_ to keep the monsters out.

Walls of stone, walls of earth. Dig deep and build strong. Nothing can get in that way. Make sure there are no holes or unaccounted breaches - it's not like there's anything we want out there, after all.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 03:26:32 am »

I'll take the carpenter/woodcutter. Name him or her Ikthol. He or she will have lots of work on the badlands!

Make sure he's oppressively optimistic, like how the trees will start sprouting tomorrow, and loudly praying to whatever god she worships to let the trees grow, that sort of thing.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 05:28:17 am »

I will take the marksdwarf/Hunter
name:Flint if male and Sairek if Female
Personality:Dwarf with a god complex who thinks that he/she is light walking the Earth never doing a deed considered evil, and feels that he/she has to explain to every other dwarf why they are evil and he/she is a better dwarf than them. Also does not fear death but that is a hinderance as it will probably cause a very abrupt death.

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 11:59:53 am »

I see nobody's taken the craftsdwarf. Well, I wouldn't want to be blamed for stranding my friends in the middle of bloody effing nowhere either.

-----

Journal of Vincent, Early spring, Year 1

Well, our merry little troupe has boldly gone where no sane dwarf has gone before, and it's starting to bite us in the ass. Flint, the self-rightous bugger, keeps going on about it all of our fault. Ikthol is still incredibly optimistic, Saying that since it's spring, trees'll start growing soon. I don't think He grasps the concept of "Badlands" well. I've had a breather from smashing Skikes and Skamels, Mook's done bloody all nothing but slouch against the broken wagon, and Sil's been chatting exitedly to Snuzlsa. After a bit, the two grabbed their picks and ran off away from the river.

Meanwhile we get another lovely suprise skirmish, and our war dogs are crippled. This is just getting better by the effing second.

*The writing is intterupted abruptly by blood spatter.*

(Well, so much for Vincent. He died pretty quickly. :<)

Journal of Sil, Early spring, Year 1

Poor Vincent. He was always an angry fellow, but he was a good hammerdwarf. Now we just have Flint for protection...

I'm digging out that mechanic's workshop. ASAP.

I was beginning to worry we wouldn't strike stone. While two layers of soil meant an extra layer between the farm and the skamels, It meant we would have to build everything out of wood. A commodity we are in short supply of already. While we have twenty logs in the wagon, It's not nearly enough to make everything we need.

However, we dug down a bit more, lo and behold, Gabbro and siltstone! Snuzulsa takes this as a good sign. Siltstone is sedimentary, and a sedimentary layer means Coal and Iron veins!

... However, He quickly shot down my exitement with an observation that we don't have an anvil because the humans bought it off of us, and we only have 10 bars worth of charcoal to start with, so the best we can do is make iron walls.

Damn Humies.

I get to hear more yelling and suddenly a dog screming bloody murder. We took it as motivation to dig out secure lodgings even faster. If they're out there for much longer, they might not be out there at all soon!

I hear more animals screeching. Sounds like our cats and our donkey died.

We're going to have to dig out a big tomb for the animals alone, never mind us!

Well, after some time, I managed to dig us out some workshops. A Mason's, a Mechanic's and a Carpenter's.

However, when Ikthol went outside to grab some wood from the wagon, she attracted the attention of a skamel.

Flint and his dog were trampled to death trying to save her.

This is like a bad horror movie. If this keeps up, we'll be just another statistic...

Ah, shit. The camel's on a rampage, and it's up to us to stop it. Say hello to Mr Pick, Came...

*The writing is obscured by blood smears.*

(Among the dead are Sil, Mook, and Snuzulsa.)

*The writing is hasty and scribbled.*

Oh, god, oh man...

Sil, Mook, and Snu are dead! They've joined Vincent and Flint in the afterlife...

It's only me and Asob left...

It's all Asob's fault! If He just had taken the road around this never would've happened!

To whoever's reading this note, congrats on surviving so far. GET OUT! Run away! this place is cursed! We're all long dead by the time you read this! Go, save yourself! Now, I have a Skamel to kill!

*There's blood spatter on the note, but it continues on...*

... Oh god...

Asob's injured badly, and I somehow survived... His entire lower body is a mangled mess... He'll be bedridden for the rest of his short life...

It happened so quick. I just rushed in with my axe... soon, the Skamel was just a pile of bones, and Asob's injured.

We have to march on! For Vincent! For Flint! For Sil, Mook, and Snu!
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 12:10:06 pm »

I'll take the craftsdwarf then. Name him Kjartan.

He may well die soon, but do it anyway.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 12:14:44 pm by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 12:21:05 pm »

I sure know how to pick 'em. Last dwarf standing, Ikthol the optimist!
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 12:39:27 pm »

I've set about my solemn work. Since Asob, who now insists on being called Kjartan, is critically injured, I have to do everything myself.

However, he asked me over. He started telling me that he was sorry. He was sorry for getting us all killed. He was sorry he ever considered crossing the badlands. He explained that he was at peace now. He knew he was going to die. He told me to keep going. He told me that I still have hope. After he closed his Eyes and rested on the warm floor, I went to drown my sorrows with alcohol. Now, Another skeletal fish faces me...

Pay attention to my previous warning. Leave this blighted place. Run away, and never look back.

*The note is smeared with blood. This time it does not continue.*

*On the silty wall is a writing in blood.*

Run away...

This place is cursed...

We tried to cut time...

We were... Mistaken...

Learn from our mistake...

Get away from here...

Never come back...

(Well, so much for that.)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:04:16 pm by Vincent »
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 03:19:39 pm »

It seems I spoke too soon. Well, that was fun anyway.

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 03:50:21 pm »

At least Mook died in a mookish way.  Skeletal creatures are hardcore.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 04:37:26 pm »

Reclaim! :)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 09:53:33 pm »

That was creepy. If we made an actual horror movie out of that, I would watch it. I wonder I'll have nightmares about a flooded fortress filled with skeletal pikes and carp and surrounded on the surface by skamels.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!
Pages: [1] 2