Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Spaying and Neutering  (Read 2910 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Spaying and Neutering
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 05:33:05 am »

Obligatory dev items post (though there's a good chance this wasn't on the list when this thread was created):

# Req509, CASTRATING ANIMALS, (Future): Dwarves should be able to castrate male animals. Spaying female animals might be beyond the ability of dwarves to do reliably.

Pfft... it is not above dwarven ability to do reliably on females....

One Needle, One yard of thread, and one chain (To hold said animal in place).
Female animal has 95% of orifice sewn shut. Prevents penetration and pregnancy.

Yeah, but it won't stop spores, which is how everything in DF reproduces...
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 06:09:59 am »

Female animal has 95% of orifice sewn shut. Prevents penetration and pregnancy.
The egyptians did that, and many groups in africa keep up the tradition which varies somewhat in severity since then. The egyptian method is outlined below.
The actual procedure involves removal of the clitoris, its hood, all labia, and sewing it up just enough to pass menstruation. A woman had to be surgerically opened after marriage.

Ayway, this IS a real and reliable procedure, even by dwarf standards. I however deem that there should be some risk of injury to the castrator. Especially in cases like elephants etc.

The sami people are reindeer-keepers. Since they herd their animals, it is harder to control breeding. Something not uncommon among them is that if they got a hold of a male they aimed to neuter, and did manage to get the (not tame)animal in a position to reach its testicles, and didn't have a knife handy, they would use their teeth. It is now illegal, since the method wasn't really to sever the tissues, but to crush the testicles in question.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Fuerte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 04:56:31 pm »

A short term solution to the OP's problem is to simply edit the raw's to remove breeding on the animals in question. I'm not sure how to go about that but I doesn't seem out of line.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 07:58:49 pm »

A short term solution to the OP's problem is to simply edit the raw's to remove breeding on the animals in question. I'm not sure how to go about that but I doesn't seem out of line.

Well if everyone wanted to mod to death then yeah...

But perhaps he might want cats then he has enough so he snips them all. using the raw files is not the way to go about this.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 08:10:38 pm »

Time to bring this back into the light.
Good grief, WHY?  It's in the dev notes, didn't you bother to check those before reviving a year old suggestion thread?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 10:57:04 pm »

Time to bring this back into the light.
Good grief, WHY?  It's in the dev notes, didn't you bother to check those before reviving a year old suggestion thread?
Because its time to change it from a line of text into a real feature.

Kinda like congress saying they are going to adress social securities underfunding problem...  We are still waiting on that.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.
Pages: 1 [2]