Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spaying and Neutering  (Read 2905 times)

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spaying and Neutering
« on: January 12, 2007, 04:41:00 am »

How about an option, perhaps on the animals list, like 'available' or 'butcher', to spay or neuter animals? A butcher, perhaps, at the butcher's shop (I know, not very sanitary =p). This way you could have bunches of cats or dogs without having to butcher dozens and dozens every few seasons.

Part of the reason is I was making a vegetarian fortress, kinda for a friend who is such and I KNOW would be appalled at the slaughter of puppies and cats I do, even though they are just pixels =p.

It would help with the clutter and jobs taken up by the excess slaughter of these animals, which, for me, do not bear much resources to be worth it after a while. Horses much better for the slaughterhouse, for me, as well as all of the other pesky critters that just want to live the dwarven lifestyle, but aren't invited to the party.

Krakow Sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spaying and Neutering
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 07:39:00 am »

In the meantime you could mass-produce cages and then try to sell the caged animals at the trade depot for humans to keep as pets.

qwip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 08:50:00 am »

or just kill off all of one gender so they can't mate and pretend that occurred before the fortress started...
qwip

Efficiency is intelligent laziness

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 12:43:00 pm »

Right, duh, caging them. I forgot about that, and haven't even tried caging or chaining animals yet.

I would still want to breed the animals, on occasion. So I wouldn't want to just kill off all the females. Good thing we don't have rabbits!

Perhaps I need to start culling the females moreoften. I just normally only cull males until the population starts to get out of control.

omalley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Krakow Sam:
<STRONG>In the meantime you could mass-produce cages and then try to sell the caged animals at the trade depot for humans to keep as pets.</STRONG>

And you should also be able to sell goblins and such as slaves. I tried to do this once but when I moved the cage to the depot the goblin got out. :-(

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 09:28:00 pm »

Putting even one animal of a given species in a cage or on a rope stops all further reproduction (although they will still give birth if already pregnant).

Some players have experienced this bug, some have not.  It's still happening to me.

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 10:39:00 pm »

I've only had that happen with caged/chained dogs. But I read somewhere that its a feature, not a bug. And you can restart the breeding by trading and getting a new dog from the humans. Only I'm at war with them now, so thats no help to my waning dog population. Anyway, I have no trouble at all with every other animal breeding in cages. In fact I am in the middle of a cat population explosion. If I ever manage to capture any of the leopards or jaguars outside, I hope they breed just as fast! Looking forward to having an army of WARCATS!
ho watches those that watch us???

The Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 07:39:00 am »

TO be honest, I enjoy slaughtering cats,dogs and horses for food. What's the point of being a vegetarian? Not to mention  dozen peasants and fisherdwarves bringing in fish...
h34R my 1337 masterwork turtle bone crossbows of doom!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 10:06:00 am »

quote:
Part of the reason is I was making a vegetarian fortress, kinda for a friend who is such and I KNOW would be appalled at the slaughter of puppies and cats I do, even though they are just pixels =p.
[/QB]

Err... and neutering without anaesthetic is better how?

Also, I don't see any reason to slaughter them if you do not wish it so since (last I played) they don't eat food. Train them to be war dogs or sell them to your dwarves in case of cats. More happiness and more defence.

[ January 26, 2007: Message edited by: Virtz ]

Griz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 10:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Virtz:
<STRONG>

Err... and neutering without anaesthetic is better how?

Also, I don't see any reason to slaughter them if you do not wish it so since (last I played) they don't eat food. Train them to be war dogs or sell them to your dwarves in case of cats. More happiness and more defence.

[ January 26, 2007: Message edited by: Virtz ]</STRONG>

dogs are useful because they fight, but cats do nothing but cause hallway congestion, kill vermin that rot into massive purple clouds and get killed by going outside in a siege and making their owner have a tantrum. horses serve no purpose at all except a source of meat/bone/leather.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 10:08:36 pm »

Time to bring this back into the light.

I would really like a system where I could spay/neuter my animals so there is no more catsposion, but I can still have 50 cats as pets.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 10:19:24 pm »

Spaying/neutering without anaesthetic isn't uncommon today; for horses, they just tip 'em over, hold 'em down and snip the sack off with a big pair of garden clippers.

Lovely image, that.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 10:24:44 pm »

Spaying/neutering without anaesthetic isn't uncommon today; for horses, they just tip 'em over, hold 'em down and snip the sack off with a big pair of garden clippers.

Lovely image, that.
A lot of farmers still use heavy rubber bands to cut off the circulation letting the "pair" fall off naturally after the tissue dies.  I was raised on a farm that raised sheep and this is how they did it.  They also did the same thing for tails.  I've never heard of un-anesthetized garden clipper removal though.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:27:36 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 12:16:53 am »

Obligatory dev items post (though there's a good chance this wasn't on the list when this thread was created):

# Req509, CASTRATING ANIMALS, (Future): Dwarves should be able to castrate male animals. Spaying female animals might be beyond the ability of dwarves to do reliably.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 03:59:21 am »

Obligatory dev items post (though there's a good chance this wasn't on the list when this thread was created):

# Req509, CASTRATING ANIMALS, (Future): Dwarves should be able to castrate male animals. Spaying female animals might be beyond the ability of dwarves to do reliably.

Pfft... it is not above dwarven ability to do reliably on females....

One Needle, One yard of thread, and one chain (To hold said animal in place).
Female animal has 95% of orifice sewn shut. Prevents penetration and pregnancy.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.
Pages: [1] 2