Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: Spore Editor  (Read 56884 times)

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Editor
« Reply #225 on: June 24, 2008, 08:05:48 pm »

(even the demo!)

...What the heck?! For real?

Quote from: Google
Yes, even the demo.

Well, that was the one thing I wasn't expecting, a copy-protection rootkit in a free demo. Drat. Now I have to look up a rootkit remover...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 24, 2008, 08:33:03 pm »

If the copyright holders (or licensed distributors) of the game are no longer selling the product for pay, it is legal to download it for free.

However, if they are still officially selling it, it is illegal to download for free.  This is why stuff like the first and second DooM games are illegal to download, because Id Software is still officially trying to sell them.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 24, 2008, 10:03:51 pm »

Because I'm paranoid, and as said before, lawful good, can you provide proof that what you say is true?
Shoes...

Nohnoz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 24, 2008, 11:55:19 pm »

If you seriously thought that spore would do everything it did in the demos well then... nevermind.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #229 on: June 25, 2008, 10:32:45 am »

I can't be bothered to read all SIXTEEN PAGES of posts, but I just wanted to flail a bit about the CC, so excuse this mess of a post.

I am quite disappointed with Maxis' decision to make the game 'more accessible.'
They changed the algorithms for determining movement, stats, and overall creature behaviour just so that kids and people with little patience can crank out creatures that are effective in-game. The entire stat system is designed so that it doesn't matter how you build your creature, its just what parts you can afford that determines how he functions. This, I think, defeats half the purpose of Will Wright's supposedly educational 'toy.' There should be two versions of Spore: one, with the early algorithms reinstated (the Willosaur, Tweetybird, Stupid Little Hoppy Thing version) called the 'Advanced' version, and the simplified, child-proofed 'Commercial' version. Well, perhaps some sort of super-powerful group of modders will get together and do that themselves after the game is released. Sigh.

EDIT: Also, check out my kickarse collection of creatures. http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Reasonableman
MORE EDIT: One last thing: why in the hells do creatures look around with their mouths, not their eyes? ARGH.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:47:35 am by Reasonableman »
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 25, 2008, 12:25:34 pm »

Anyone remember THIS video from back in 2005? It seems that the editors have been... scaled down since then. I mean, we've seen it go from having a interesting and seemingly functional skeleton to being ... a blob with a backbone, in the name of what? Simplicity? It's all rather depressing to see it ... well, devolve... from what it was, into what it is today.

That being said, I still want it, but I've lost a lot of the empathy I felt towards it since it went from a sandbox toy to a ... sandbox toy lite.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 25, 2008, 12:34:42 pm »

Read the topic before posting, we've already been over this.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 25, 2008, 01:09:43 pm »

Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 25, 2008, 01:10:41 pm »

Anyone remember THIS video from back in 2005? It seems that the editors have been... scaled down since then. I mean, we've seen it go from having a interesting and seemingly functional skeleton to being ... a blob with a backbone, in the name of what? Simplicity? It's all rather depressing to see it ... well, devolve... from what it was, into what it is today.

That being said, I still want it, but I've lost a lot of the empathy I felt towards it since it went from a sandbox toy to a ... sandbox toy lite.

Here's a video from 06. http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Spore&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1#
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 25, 2008, 01:12:26 pm »

I never said it was a disappointment a la 'thatguyyaknow', the basic ability to drag out the spine was always there, as was the limb selection. But let me reiterate my opinion, we've lost 'center of gravity' a la tweetybird and limbs stacking as demonstrated by whatever the hell they called this. We've evidently lost quite a bit of the potential diversity.

Oh and calls to "Read the topic" are fairly unrealistic, as it still didn't manage to answer my sense of loss. Or my questions for that matter.

edit: either that or I've completely missed some features... somewhere :-\
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:31:06 pm by Surma »

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 25, 2008, 01:32:22 pm »

Here's an interesting video from GDC.  Will says some things that Toady has in interviews interestingly enough.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Spore&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1#

It's basically a longer, higher quality version of the video Surma posted.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:37:41 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 25, 2008, 03:15:37 pm »

Actually, limb stacking is still in. You have to hold ctrl or alt or something, and you can make complex limbs. There's also a button to take part of a limb off.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 25, 2008, 03:18:39 pm »

Ctrl to drag a part of a limb off, or to connect a limb or part of a limb to another limb. Alt to copy something you drag. Alt+Ctrl to drag away a copy of a part of a limb.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 28, 2008, 10:12:01 pm »

Is there any way to post these without using an image hoster?  I have 30 files I have to upload if I want to show any of them.

EDIT:  I shouldn't have made so many.  I'll show the ones I have uploaded now, in PNG format.

From left to right, top to bottom:  Balrog, Gremlin, Cyclops, Giant Cave Spider, Gug, Hydra.

Cthulhu, I'm pretty sure Gug's are supposed to have a single arm descending from their chest that splits into two at the forearm, though the descriptions were a bit... unwieldy, so I could be wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]