Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Spore Editor  (Read 57925 times)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Editor
« Reply #210 on: June 21, 2008, 04:23:44 pm »

That's a shame. I was hoping I'd run into a planet populated by various penis/vagina monsters. Oh well, guess I'll have to do it myself.

On a related note, here is my first attempt at a dwarf in the full version. I think it came out pretty well.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 08:32:45 pm by Tahin »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 22, 2008, 07:40:15 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?amp=&feature=related&v=vnUXnnH6sY0

Edit: Tahin, can you put a video on youtube? I want to see it in action! Looks pretty well as png!

p.s. Why didn't you give it human feet?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hamenopi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 22, 2008, 10:47:41 am »

dwarves have human feet?

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 22, 2008, 01:28:11 pm »

Those were the feet that worked best for an "armored" look. Notice the plating.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le-KBBbVXXg

The legs are  a bit thin, but I can't find a suitable way to make them bigger and make the plating look decent.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 01:48:44 pm by Tahin »

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 23, 2008, 09:53:54 pm »

That... was really weird...
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 24, 2008, 10:28:01 am »

How come no-one's tried to make Cautionsaurus yet?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 24, 2008, 11:25:37 am »

I accept your challenge!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 11:40:10 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #217 on: June 24, 2008, 01:55:02 pm »

If I understood the websites correctly, aparently spore(even the demo!) instals SecuROM, a rootkit-trojan-copy protection program apparently made by sony. Who was taken to court for something like it in the past.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecuROM

"This has been called malware, and users must use 3rd party tools to remove 'protection' after uninstall of product"
"and Spore Creature Editor"
"It installs a shell extension that prevents Windows Explorer from deleting 16-bit executables"

And, from the discussion page, the final proof.
It is a rootkit by definition.You seem to be repeating SecuROMs line which has been refuted by many security professionals. Lets look at the definition in connection with the facts.

"Rootkit: (N), A type of Trojan that keeps itself, other files, registry keys and network connections hidden from detection." The null registry keys, hidden network traffic, and malformed files that can not be removed by windows all fit this part of its description.

"It enables an attacker to have "root" access to the computer, which means it runs at the lowest level of the machine." Securom runs at ring0 and effectively has kernel level access rights to the OS. This is how it blocks hardware or software. Although it is true that it also has ring3 processes the root of the application is on ring0.

Lets not forget that SONY, who is responsible for SecuROM also lied about their previous DRM by saying it was not a rootkit and were found incorrect in court. Their statements and those of secuROM should be considered highly suspect. --Cuberhobo (talk) 16:53, 11 June 2008 (UTC)—Preceding unsigned comment added by Cuberhobo (talk
Eh?
Eh!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 24, 2008, 02:02:18 pm »

What annoys me most is when people talk about how bad copy protection is, there are always people who call them pirates and tell them to just buy the games.  Dumbest thing I've ever heard, why would a pirate worry about copy protection when it gets cracked within days?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 02:09:43 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 24, 2008, 02:13:14 pm »

What's funny is that SecoROM actually causes allot of piracy since it only really stops legitimate users from accessing the products they paid for. ::)
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 24, 2008, 04:03:40 pm »

I think copy protections, if anything, endorse piracy, so a game must be of surpassing excellence to be purchased in its legal form.

My line of logic is - "If a game is good, the pirated copy is better only when copy protection is present, because in that case you don't get update compatibility and any key-dependent multiplayer, just for a lower price."
In my eyes, GTA 4, a game of undoubtedly surpassing excellence, is a prime candidate (rather, decided candidate) for pirating the moment it gets released, strictly because the game is good, it's out there and I can't play it on my PC, and that pisses me off. Supreme Commander, another game of surpassing excellence (at that point anyway) was much more useful when purchased, because the copy protection was removed straight away, leaving only the key for multiplayer access (that I didn't even need). For bad or even mediocre games, only the lack of copy protection can be an incentive to purchase them, because there's no point in buying what you don't like that also tries to force some rules on you.
I guess this logic is why I have so little purchased games, although there's also my dislike of russian localized versions to factor in. All in all, I probably have as little as 10-12 non-pirated games out of like 200 that I have stacked on the shelf.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 24, 2008, 04:08:34 pm »

Geez.  I buy games, because I'm Lawful Good.

The biggest problem with this is games that aren't in stores anymore.  Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi is awesome, but it's out of print and the sites of both the devloper and publisher have been taken over by domain squatters.  I'm still trying to decide if that means I can get it legally by downloading it, since the creators aren't making any profit off of it anyway.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 24, 2008, 05:33:46 pm »

You might want to look at www.abandonia.com.  As far as I can tell, it's entirely legal, and allows downloads only of games wo which no-one owns the distribution rights any more (Or whatever the proper legalese is).  I can't find that title on there, but it's not comprehensive so perhaps you can find the answer to your question.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 24, 2008, 05:40:28 pm »

I love Abandonia, but Nosferatu isn't that old, it's from 2003ish, which is why I'm worried about downloading it.  If it was from like 1990 or something I'd already have downloaded it.
Shoes...

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 24, 2008, 05:49:57 pm »

AFAIK it's not legal even if no-one's selling it anymore. I think all Abandonia's older games aren't completely legal to download either, but if you can't buy it from anywhere, who would give a damn if you download it?

I say go ahead and download it if you find it somewhere. It's 5ish years from 2003ish, too, so I don't think anyone will care.

Great job on the Cautionsaurus, by the way! It made me chuckle.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16