Poll

Answer

Yay!
- 30 (81.1%)
Boo!
- 7 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Granite's Law (and others)  (Read 2069 times)

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Granite's Law (and others)
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 05:09:16 pm »

The more opinions a suggestion thread gets, the more I think Toady should just do it how he wants.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 05:22:58 pm »

To inject some pedantry into this, this is mathematically impossibility since the chance would eventually exceed 100%.
What if you approach it from the other direction? The chance of it NOT happening decreases exponentially, but never reaches zero.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 09:02:22 pm »

the chance would eventually exceed 100%.

Anything less just wouldn't be dwarfy. (technically a probability larger than 100% could be taken to mean that it is probable that a number of trivial problems _greater than 1_ will have been solved using magma)
First and foremost of which, the existence of Nobles.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 08:08:39 pm »

Granite's Law : As the length of any suggestion thread grows longer, the probability of someone tying in one of the most common suggestions approaches 1.

Complete agreement (see how many common suggestions came up in UD...even ones already in the first post).

This thread demonstrates Otho's Law:
% chance of thread being hijacked or side tracked = (degree of opportunity for pointless self expression)^(number of members with posting rights)

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 10:26:00 pm »

I refuse non-peer reviewed, unpublished studies, because this is how stuff like Murphy's law get popular. This is complete drivel.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 11:12:40 pm »

:-p

As far as DF is concerned, this IS peer review and publishing...
Pages: 1 [2]