Poll

Answer

Yay!
- 30 (81.1%)
Boo!
- 7 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Granite's Law (and others)  (Read 2072 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Granite's Law (and others)
« on: November 18, 2008, 03:30:43 pm »

Granite's Law : As the length of any suggestion thread grows longer, the probability of someone tying in one of the most common suggestions approaches 1.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 04:02:57 pm by Granite26 »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Granite's Law
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 03:41:22 pm »

Law of Geothermal Potental: The chance of magma causing the death or distruction of any object, creature or entity in a succession game with a magma pipe rises exponentally for every year the fortress survives.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 03:48:56 pm »

Law of Psychological Fragility: The chance of a cataclysmic civil war occuring is directly proportional to how hilarious said cataclysmic civil war would be, given the amount of potential destruction that could be caused. (Boatmurdered, TouretteDog et al, 2006)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 03:55:22 pm by Brendan »

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 03:52:51 pm »

Law of bloody single mindedness: Unforbidden pigtail sock on battlefield.
'Nuff said.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

peekama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Granite's Law (and others)
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 04:18:39 pm »

Law of Geothermal Use: The chance of magma being used to solve trivial problems increased exponential as a fortress ages.

Dwarven snow-shoveling... awwwrriiiiiight
It'd be cool if unicorn refuse gives off rainbow miasma.
It should totally bleed the laughter of children, too.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 04:22:16 pm »

Law of Geothermal Potental:The chance of magma causing the death or distruction of any object, creature or en tity in a succession game with a magma pipe rises exponentally for every year the fortress survives.
Boatmurdered's corallery:

The chance of magma causing the death or destruction of every object, creature and entity in a succession game with a magma pipe rises exponentally for every year the fortress survives.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 05:59:24 pm »

Law of Sadistic Boredom:

The likelihood of torture in fortress designs/experiments rises in direct correlation to a player's aggregate experience with the game.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 09:34:12 pm »

Mayor McLegendary's Parabola: The more annoying mandates your mayor tends to make, the more useful he actually is to the work force. Increase in skill exponentially increases the chance one of your units will be hammered to death.

Murphy's Meatshield: The more important a unit is, the more likely it is that he/she will take a stray bolt meant for a different dwarf. The highest likelyhood is caravan pack animals, because if they get injured, the entire caravan leaves (or in my case, stands on my trade depot doing nothing and ruining my framerate).

Mace Lord's curse: Every Mace Lord you have without spinal injuries will get wounded every season with at least a broken arm. Said Macedwarves are also much more likely to get permanent injuries, such as mangled lungs and broken spines, leaving them nearly useless.

Law of bad backed bolt blasters: 75% of all marksdwarves have spinal, neck, or brain injuries.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 11:34:39 am »

Law of Licking the Toad: The value of "fun" is an exponential function of amount of work put into a fortress and the rapidness of death and failure of it.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Zwergner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 12:36:46 pm »

Law of Excavation:  Leaving a group of dwarfs to channel an area of any size unsupervised will at the least cause a collapse or stranded dwarf, and at the most, kill or injure everyone.
Dwarf Transplant updating utility

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 12:41:03 pm »

What is this doing in the disscussion forum?

EDIT:  Laws of this forum: Post things in the right forum
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:44:03 pm by Krash »
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 01:18:36 pm »

Well, the original comment was an observation about how the suggestions forum behaved, making it appropriate for the suggestion forum.  (The fact that noone has commented on or apparently even appreciated that observation not withstanding)

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 01:44:37 pm »

Well, the original comment was an observation about how the suggestions forum behaved, making it appropriate for the suggestion forum.  (The fact that noone has commented on or apparently even appreciated that observation not withstanding)

And i thought the suggestion forum was about suggestions.  Silly me
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 04:08:30 pm »

Law of Geothermal Use: The chance of magma being used to solve trivial problems increased exponential as a fortress ages.

To inject some pedantry into this, this is mathematically impossibility since the chance would eventually exceed 100%.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 04:31:38 pm »

the chance would eventually exceed 100%.

Anything less just wouldn't be dwarfy. (technically a probability larger than 100% could be taken to mean that it is probable that a number of trivial problems _greater than 1_ will have been solved using magma)
Pages: [1] 2