Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Noble disposal without indoor plumbing  (Read 1858 times)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
Re: Noble disposal without indoor plumbing
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 12:17:05 am »

Actually, make a 2-tile room, put a statue and a spike, and assign the statue to the noble.
THEN pull the lever when he goes to stare at his statue.
The last this he sees is a solid platinum statue glaring down at him.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 12:34:40 am »

Actually, make a 2-tile room, put a statue and a spike, and assign the statue to the noble.
THEN pull the lever when he goes to stare at his statue.
The last this he sees is a solid platinum statue glaring down at him.
Ah, even better.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Hangatyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 04:21:30 pm »

Mention both noble and death in the same post and friendly and practical advice for execution is given.

I don't really want to bother with building rooms for the specific task of removing unwanted individuals and I find it more amusing that the dwarfs disposed of the countess themselves.

The unhappy consort doesn't seem like he will loose it any time soon though, as he has managed to find himself a friend. Perhaps if I let him starve for a while and savescum for appropriate reaction.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 08:36:38 pm »

What is more expensive: One stone/log, 4 logs and a few minutes of one dwarfs time, or countless metal bars/logs and mechanisims used to make spike traps?
Wooden spike = 1 log
3 mechanisms = 3 stones

As wood is generally harder to come by than stones, I would consider a spike closet to be the cheaper option. ;D
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 10:18:37 pm »

What is more expensive: One stone/log, 4 logs and a few minutes of one dwarfs time, or countless metal bars/logs and mechanisims used to make spike traps?
Wooden spike = 1 log
3 mechanisms = 3 stones

As wood is generally harder to come by than stones, I would consider a spike closet to be the cheaper option. ;D

Well, that depends, most of the suggestions od spikedeathrooms come with suggestions of turning an ENTIRE room into a deathtrap, which means more traps.

But you've got a point with stone being easier to come by.
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 03:30:18 am »

It would be simpler to have a one-tile room with a spike trap in it, with a locked door, and have a dwarf outside pull the lever.
Aye, this is what I do for my "immigration office" (any dwarves that bring pets when migrating face summary execution...well, I say summary, but there are so few spikes in each trap that it's a bit prolonged and half of them bleed to death rather than being impaled...still fun to watch, though); a 3x3 room filled with spike traps, a locked door and a lever near the 'office' that gets pulled once all illegal immigrants are in the office ready for processing. Then the games begin and I watch to see who survives the longest (and hopefully get to quickly check his/her injuries before s/he dies as well. I think only one has ever survived beyond all of dwarves around him without suffering any internal organ failure; that was one extremely lucky dwarf, even if he was still sentenced to death for bringing a fucking mule into my fortress)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 04:41:16 am »

You all have equaly boring and difficult plans as mine...
I've never tested it out, but i have a 10 long bridge out over the lava with a lever at both sides
the noble goes and pulls the far lever and the brodge disappears beneath him before he can escape...!
it might take 2 bridges to asomplish if it dosn't work, but the noble should fall into the lava...

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-832-dutchessconsortexecution
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0
Pages: 1 [2]