Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Noble disposal without indoor plumbing  (Read 1862 times)

Hangatyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noble disposal without indoor plumbing
« on: November 15, 2008, 09:19:55 am »

A countess decided to grace my fortress with her presence. Nothing had been made in preparation for her arrival so I ordered a few new rooms to dug out and new furniture to be made then forgot all about it.

A while later the countess reminds me of the situation by tantruming and destroying a door. Checking her profile shows that she has had to sleep on the floor, a mandate was ignored, angered by lessor's pretentious something, having to have a meeting in an ugly room and aged a year without a tomb. The only positive thought was that she was satisfied at work. Perhaps I should try to speed things up a bit I thought? No, the furniture is on its way and the rooms are dug out. It will just be a little while longer.

Two tantrums later the countess goes berserk and starts to chase a fishery worker. She doesn't get very far tough before she runs into the army's only female member, a hammer champion. The champion is shortly joined by two fortress guards  and the three of them proceed to bash the countess to paste.

Now I have to see if I can make her consort go the same way.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noble disposal without indoor plumbing
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 09:41:59 am »

give a dining room to consort, as soon as he enter, close the door. he will die.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 10:10:10 am »

"Why, Mayor, this room is awfully narrow and I can't imagine what the fortifications are for."
"Didn't I tell you? Your room doubles as a ballista range. Have fun now."

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 07:51:37 pm »

Ballistae are a little expensive...

You can try setting up spike traps in a room all hooked up to the same lever nearby, then marking the lever only usable by the noble you want dead. I haven't done this myself so I don't know how many spike traps are good to set up so your noble doesn't get out of the way before they go up (or how many spikes in each trap are necessary), but this is a good way to get rid of friendlies as long as you can make any spears or spikes. Reusable, too!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 08:09:21 pm »

What is more expensive: One stone/log, 4 logs and a few minutes of one dwarfs time, or countless metal bars/logs and mechanisims used to make spike traps?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 08:22:46 pm »

Ballistae are a little expensive...

You can try setting up spike traps in a room all hooked up to the same lever nearby, then marking the lever only usable by the noble you want dead. I haven't done this myself so I don't know how many spike traps are good to set up so your noble doesn't get out of the way before they go up (or how many spikes in each trap are necessary), but this is a good way to get rid of friendlies as long as you can make any spears or spikes. Reusable, too!
Ballistae aren't expensive, it is how retarded you are that is expensive.

I suggest a simple set up, a lever, a hatch, and dangerous area to put it over, like an arena, or simply a pond, filled with feral fish.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 08:29:39 pm »

how about you try the exploit that sleeping dwarves trigger traps?
put him in a room with a lever and a door.
make it so the lever shuts the door.
have a serrated disc trap on the floor.
when he falls asleep BAM he gets sliced in half. just keep in mind that the noble might fall asleep on the lever not the trap.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 08:59:17 pm »

how about you try the exploit that sleeping dwarves trigger traps?
put him in a room with a lever and a door.
make it so the lever shuts the door.
have a serrated disc trap on the floor.
when he falls asleep BAM he gets sliced in half. just keep in mind that the noble might fall asleep on the lever not the trap.
I prefer cage traps, so I can manage them, sell them, or use them to entertain the arena folk.

I mainly use a tower of doom ( a large sacrificial tower to fall into his domain ) .
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 09:05:54 pm by Foa »

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 10:22:13 pm »

Why do people think it's such an AMAZING idea to build so many spike traps? Just build a small room within a room and have the noble pull the lever. No chance of escape without impalement.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 10:39:35 pm »

Ballista are the best. You can line up several nobles and get rid of all of them for one ballista bolt!
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 10:43:52 pm »

Why do people think it's such an AMAZING idea to build so many spike traps? Just build a small room within a room and have the noble pull the lever. No chance of escape without impalement.
Shouls think about the non-spikie rooms, unless the noble gets drag to his room that has been rigged with deadly beasts to fight Urist McDefenseless, and you then send it his bloodied room to your god's dwellings.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 10:57:34 pm »

Another option is to set up a cave-in chamber, with a noble-exclusive lever controlling the support.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 10:59:19 pm »

Shouls think about the non-spikie rooms, unless the noble gets drag to his room that has been rigged with deadly beasts to fight Urist McDefenseless, and you then send it his bloodied room to your god's dwellings.

Err... I'm assuming this was defense for my idea (your general lack of a coherent point made it hard to figure out). It's simple. Set the lever on repeat and forbid the door. Eventually the noble attempts to leave the room... and then gets impaled by the spikes on the way out.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 11:05:29 pm »

Err... I'm assuming this was defense for my idea (your general lack of a coherent point made it hard to figure out). It's simple. Set the lever on repeat and forbid the door. Eventually the noble attempts to leave the room... and then gets impaled by the spikes on the way out.
Er, no.  He can't pathfind, so it could be ages before he did that.  It would be simpler to have a one-tile room with a spike trap in it, with a locked door, and have a dwarf outside pull the lever.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 12:02:55 am »

You all have equaly boring and difficult plans as mine...
I've never tested it out, but i have a 10 long bridge out over the lava with a lever at both sides
the noble goes and pulls the far lever and the brodge disappears beneath him before he can escape...!
it might take 2 bridges to asomplish if it dosn't work, but the noble should fall into the lava...
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!
Pages: [1] 2