Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven caravan decimated - will they attack me?  (Read 1035 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Dwarven caravan decimated - will they attack me?
« on: November 08, 2008, 10:57:02 am »

A grassfire took my wooden, aboveground trade depot, and the traders with it. The hamlet liaison was hanging around with my broker at the time, so he is fine. This is the first time this has happened. Will the dwarves attack me in their justified anger? Or does that happen at all, or only when the diplomat is killed?

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven caravan decimated - will they attack me?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 11:01:02 am »

Your own civilization won't attack you.
One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 11:08:01 am »

Even if it was a different civilization, they wouldn't attack you on account of one caravan.

Maybe if the next four to eight caravans were annihilated, but not just one.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:11:23 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 11:34:50 am »

Great. A siege or two might be fun later, but right now my fortress is woefully unprepared.

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 06:54:42 pm »

I killed the Human Liaison with Dwarf Companion because he wouldn't leave.

They sent a platoon sized force to attack me, which was annihilated with no Dwarven causalities.

Year after that they asked for peace.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 06:55:43 pm »

Dwarves will never attack you, no matter what. This may or may not change in future version, but for now abuse them as much as you want and they will always come back for more.

Humans take quite a bit of caravan loss to prod into attacking you, HOWEVER one diplomat (the guy who pops in, says nice fort, then leaves not the trade rep) loss will almost always make them attack. Trade rep getting killed might cause them to siege, but not usually.

Elves will NOT siege you if you steal from/kill the merchants or say no to a tree cutting limit (though if you keep saying no year after year they might eventually, not tested it extensively). They WILL siege you if you kill the diplomat, or agree to a tree limit then violate it.

Goblins will eventually start sieging you even if you don't start out at war with them. I don't remember the requirements offhand but I think you need to have the baron or something. Goblin sieges are usually alot easier then ambushes, though, because you can see all the enemies right from the start.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 09:38:10 pm »

From what I can tell the goblin siege trigger is based on wealth and how close you are to a goblin fortress rather than noble-based; I had one fortress besieged three times without getting a single noble, and another get up to a count and countess consort with no more than the odd ambush.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 04:46:25 am »

Goblins will eventually start sieging you even if you don't start out at war with them. I don't remember the requirements offhand but I think you need to have the baron or something. Goblin sieges are usually alot easier then ambushes, though, because you can see all the enemies right from the start.

That's if you actually see ALL the incoming squads. I've had some nasty surprises.