Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: RogueLife (formely Spogue)  (Read 19186 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RogueLife (formely Spogue)
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2008, 12:27:48 pm »

Id love to help in anyway I can... but I have no real coding abilities (The most coding experience I have is programming MUGEN and adding a few weapons in IVAN and Trigger work in RPGmaker... however they both do most of the work for you)

I can sorta do 16x16 pixil art depending on what your making me do...

Other then that, I guess I could make suggestions on the forum....
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 12:34:46 pm by Neonivek »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2008, 01:11:43 pm »

about as useless as me then. ;)

The first prototype uses 24x24bit tiles.

I gather we are going to use sprites in later prototypes,
which I read as that we are leaving the grid and going freestyle.
But I may very well be wrong... quite likely actually.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2008, 05:18:55 pm »

The intent is to allow the graphics to be modded as much as the players want. Right now the prototype only accepts 24x24 images and only with the names currently in use (so you would have to replace them). But in the future most details of the graphics configuration will be able to be modified from an initialization file.

Also, since the game is tile based there will be no problems like several in-game objects using the same tile. Every object type is assigned a unique ID and this ID is used by the graphic engine to select the appropriate tile for the object. In the future tiles might get states and animations too.

I will also rewrite the way images are loaded to allow reading several sprites from a few big image files instead of using one image per sprite.

And I can also confirm that Areyar, which is our resident biochemist :P, has been contributing a lot with ideas and game mechanics on the forums. So, being a coder is not necessary to participate in the project. And feedback is always welcomed.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2008, 06:06:21 pm »

Well, I have a (semi) successful pure opengl single-color tile engine in plain C.
I mentioned it before, but I have recently found a large source of sramerate drop was drawing the background tile.
If it didn't on black, or if it was removed properly, things worked well.

Anyway, I started making it into a roguelike(and leaned how to work with multiple files) and would like to put it up as a possibility.
Also, I "borrowed" the DF text file.
Download.

Edit: might want to mention that the compile.bat file will need to be edited.
Also, compiled with mingw.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:08:48 pm by qwertyuiopas »
Eh?
Eh!

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2008, 12:24:22 am »

Well, I have a (semi) successful pure opengl single-color tile engine in plain C.
I mentioned it before, but I have recently found a large source of sramerate drop was drawing the background tile.
If it didn't on black, or if it was removed properly, things worked well.

Anyway, I started making it into a roguelike(and leaned how to work with multiple files) and would like to put it up as a possibility.
Also, I "borrowed" the DF text file.
Download.

Edit: might want to mention that the compile.bat file will need to be edited.
Also, compiled with mingw.

This could be used as an alternative graphical front for the game if python proves too slow with the graphics. Also, if using OpenGL, you could add some fancy 3d effects for good measure :)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2008, 03:13:36 pm »

This looks promising. Although I'm not a programmer, I would happily help test this.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2008, 04:39:53 am »

why does the compressed exe. occupy 2.8 mb already?

one of the beauties of rouglikes is the limited systemed requirements

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2008, 04:41:45 pm »

I'm sure in time they will streamline the coding and make it more efficient.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2008, 05:43:18 pm »

I'm sure in time they will streamline the coding and make it more efficient.

By the way guys, as a programming rule, don't make any huge compressions or optimizations. They create more trouble then they fix. Wait until you have a working project, save a whole copy of it, then start messing with a new copy of the code. That way, you have your game and you can still go back to it if optimizing proves too difficult or convoluted.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2008, 08:47:45 pm »

Well, you can blame Python for that. It's 99% interpreter code. On the bright side, don't expect the game size in MBs to jump that much from version to version. The compressed source code is just 4k in size.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2008, 03:19:48 am »

Is it safe to assume there will be a compiled executable version as well, and not just an interpreted one?  Interpreted languages make my ass twitch on account of speed issues.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2008, 07:43:49 pm »

We will try to make the game have the best performance possible. But the end product might not be a compiled executable. It all depends on the compilation tools available for python (you can suggest them). Also some python modules will be turn into C++ modules if necessary if they are shown to slow down the game too much.

Just as an update: I'm finishing my thesis (less than a month left to finish it :-\). and regardless if I end it on time or not I will then move to a new location (and country) for a new job and I'll be offline for a while (but I assure you getting online again will be a priority :P). So I have stopped contributing with code for the project for the time being. But the project is still open for anyone who can contribute, and I'm keeping an eye on the project forums to read and manage both code and suggestions from others.

PS. If you are curious about my thesis (or what was supposed to be) you can have a peek at my work here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx2JaK6i9eg
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:06:26 am by Zemat »

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2008, 12:37:40 am »

I know next to nothing about Python and what tools may or may not be available for it.  I'm just voicing a concern, since I've had to deal with one too many Java utilities that were slower than molasses.

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2008, 04:17:07 pm »

Wait until you have a working project, save a whole copy of it, then start messing with a new copy of the code. That way, you have your game and you can still go back to it if optimizing proves too difficult or convoluted.

*cough* ...SVN... *cough*

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2008, 08:39:40 pm »

This seems like it'd be a cool game. Spore was a big disappointment to me even though I didn't have much hope for it in the first place. Is there going to be a space stage in this game too? It'd be cool to evolve a savage zerg-like species and over run a colony with no weapons... I'll help test it as well it sounds like fun. I have only minor programing skills however so I doubt I can help with that part of the project.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 09:50:39 pm by Fourth Triad »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]