Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: RogueLife (formely Spogue)  (Read 19189 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Spogue (Spore Roguelike)
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2008, 08:59:49 pm »

There are various A-life programms available online,
personally I found DarwinPond rather interesting as it has procedural movement of the flagella, generated by -number of tails, joints and stroke timing.
You can sample a specimen and reintroduce a clone of it at a later time.

Obviously we are not interested in this level of simulation depth, as we want more 'parts' to be variable than the tail and its colour. Also food is abstract in this, we probably want to have food of various types and it's metabolisms.
Still it is a true evolution simulator and a good example.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2008, 10:16:28 pm »

OK so this is a nice imagination thread but who wants to take the lead. We may need a few leaders and they should decide it honestly. I.e. I know myself and I can't be a project leader for now: I can disappear for some time without warning and I don't want a project to be halted because of it. However I have enough fanaticism to sit at the computer days and nights when I have an inspiration and ignore family and daily needs to finish the work I'm intended to do so I can be a nice helper. So let's decide the core team and start a small separate forum.

Hehe, I kinda nominated myself with this post. But you are free to topple me and select anyone you see more capable.

Anyway. In other news. I have taken Fualkner's site suggestion and made a temporary forum there for this project:

http://spogue.forumer.com/

You can go there now and start posting away.

By the way, if any of you want to be a moderator there just give me a PM in this forums. Only people that I know well from B12 forums will be able to be a mod for now.

You can continue to add comments to this post and I will continue to read and comment here with general updates. But I encourage you to move there along with your ideas if you really want to get involved with the project since this thread is getting to cluttered too be useful anymore.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 12:34:34 am by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Dryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2008, 10:18:21 pm »

I think that he's talking about the actual game, and not the scope and focus. Basically, he's referring to making a tech demo of moving about and generating a food object.

Yep, I see that. :) I just feel that it would be a little premature as what he makes it may not be relevant to what is decided the game will be like. If he is enthused he should go ahead though; the last thing I want to do is kill someones enthusiasm.
You come back from the mansions of sleep with your pockets full of silverware.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2008, 12:09:24 am »

Dryn and I will be taking suggestions from this post and post them on the new forum (with proper quotes redirecting here) I hope you don't mind.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2008, 08:29:29 am »

Well, as it was told on those forums, Spogue is not too good as a project name while it's funny. There're many reasons for it, possible difficulties with EA, a comparison with a non-evolution game etc.
How about RogueLife?
Almost Roguelike and if you remember the "Life" game...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 08:38:48 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

sjmarshy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2008, 08:39:06 am »

Well, as it was told on those forums, Spogue is not too good as a project name while it's funny. There're many reasons for it, possible difficulties with EA, a comparison with a non-evolution game etc.
How about RogueLife?
Almost Roguelike and if you remember the "Life" game...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life
I think this is a much better idea

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2008, 08:43:48 am »

I like RogueLife. It sounds kinds like Roguelike.

Also, a tech demo just so see if this can actually happen instead of just a bunch of people talking about features would be nice. I have seen many projects die that way. Some people who could pull it off come together with some nice ideas, but no real drive to get something out.

Also, some ideas of what others have come up with.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2008, 08:46:29 am »

Well, I feel myself a bit insulted. Why do they call them spore-like games? It's Spore like them not the opposite,
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2008, 09:03:46 am »

Well, I feel myself a bit insulted. Why do they call them spore-like games? It's Spore like them not the opposite,

Keep in mind many of them were developed after hearing about Spore. However, the commercial games section are just games that have similar gameplay mechanics to what we thought Spore would be like at the time.

And it is a VERY old article.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2008, 12:25:33 am »

Hey people, just to let you know that the first prototype request went live, this is your chance to participate with actual code!

I also changed the name by popular request (in those forums) to RogueLife. So I will change this post title too to match. Too bad it seems I cannot change the site address. But I guess that would create more problems.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:30:08 am by Zemat »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: RogueLife (formely Spogue)
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2008, 08:35:25 am »

Pygame? I'm out.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2008, 08:40:59 am »

Keep in mind many of them were developed after hearing about Spore. However, the commercial games section are just games that have similar gameplay mechanics to what we thought Spore would be like at the time.

Games that different Spore stages have been compared to

* Microbial Stage: Pacman

What are they, stupid?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Old School Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.arthuman.com
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2008, 08:53:52 am »

Sporzilla, one part Spore, one part Dwarf Fortress, one part the old arcade game Rampage;  You breed and evolve megabeasts and unleash them on various sites such as Dwarf Fortresses and so on.

Actually, this game sounds kind of anticlimactic.
Currently Playing:  DF, Galciv2, Eschelon Book 1, Helherron, Unreal World.

Currently Playing With: Linux.

Going to Buy: Warhammer Online, Space Rangers: Reloaded, Stardock's MoM Clone.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2008, 10:01:27 am »

Games that different Spore stages have been compared to

* Microbial Stage: Pacman

What are they, stupid?

Will Wright said that once during an old interview. Course, that was back when you could form the thing and add spikes and no freaky eyes or tentacles.

And that was back when Will Wright was the lead designer. Before EA started to fund it majorly.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2008, 10:12:40 am »

I had another look at the old movies, and for some reason I find the old graphics a lot nicer. They are more "filthy", just like I would imagine a primordial soup.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8