Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Click the option you feel would best describe your beliefs.

Anti-Theist
- 1 (1.2%)
Atheist
- 30 (35.3%)
Agnostic
- 15 (17.6%)
Unsure
- 3 (3.5%)
Heretic
- 7 (8.2%)
Blasphemer
- 2 (2.4%)
Pastafarian
- 3 (3.5%)
IPU Follower
- 0 (0%)
Frisbeetarian
- 3 (3.5%)
Teapot Watcher
- 7 (8.2%)
Other
- 14 (16.5%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Disbelief by the Numbers  (Read 13833 times)

vanarbulax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disbelief by the Numbers
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2008, 07:45:00 am »

In medicine, the term opiate describes any of the narcotic alkaloids found in opium, as well as any derivatives of such alkaloids

Opiate just means derived from opium. I fail to see the difference, opium is a pain-killer and an opiate like morphine is addictive so the distinction between it being opium or opiate in the quote from Marx is irrelevant no?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2008, 09:08:31 am »

Opiate just means derived from opium. I fail to see the difference, opium is a pain-killer and an opiate like morphine is addictive so the distinction between it being opium or opiate in the quote from Marx is irrelevant no?

The difference is entirely in Marx's intent, not in the physical reality of (certain?  all?) opiates.  Any quote separated from its intent/context has no value, as the definitions of words, and thus the quote itself, can be twisted.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2008, 09:11:23 am »

I remember seeing a quote taken out of one of Nietzsche's (I'm amazed I can spell that without looking it up) books, where he said how much he hated things that were taken out of context.

I thought that was dreadfully funny.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2008, 10:13:38 am »

I think the point is that Marx said the opium of the masses quote in a sort of cool, unusually clear way.

And I have to say, if you honestly disagree with the idea that religion makes people feel better about their problems but doesn't really solve them, then you must have something wrong with you.

The Point I was making is that if you are unable to see any good sides of religion (a lot of people apparently are this way) then you have something even more wrong with you. Particularly since so many rabid critics of religion in any form are also real big on how "open-minded" they are.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2008, 12:59:14 pm »

Straw man. I never said that religion didn't have it's good points - only that I prefer to eschew faith and embrace reason.

Opium has it's uses, too.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2008, 07:06:04 pm »

You know, I'm confused here...

When did agnosticism become skepticism?

Agnosticism = I don't agree with your interpretation of God, so I'm making my own.

Skepticism = I'll believe in your God and repent and be a good little Christian/Islam/Pastafarian if you show me proof! I'M SITTING ON THE FENCE LOLOL! (Okay, not really.)

And yeah, religion has its good points. It's when you get inherently corruptible humans involved that it sort of goes off the rails.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2008, 03:10:36 pm »

I thought agnosticism was the belief that it's impossible to know or comprehend God, and that there's no point trying?  The word itself suggests this, A as in "No" or "Non" and "Gnos" meaning knowledge.
Shoes...

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2008, 06:35:49 pm »

Close, but as I hear it, Agnosticism means that:

"There may be a god. There may not. Whether there is or not is impossible to know. Whether there is one religion that is 'right' or not is impossible to know. We will only know the truth after we die. Hence, choosing a religion is useless."

Something like that, anyway.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]