Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Next challenge to put in the que!  (Read 5995 times)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
Re: Next challenge to put in the que!
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2008, 11:48:05 am »

Easy one:

Take a beach square with a near deep enough ocean (10+ water level) and collapse the whole of it into a chasm. Bonus points if your computer crashes in the process.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2008, 12:36:22 pm »

Hi!

I am not quite sure whether it fits with your intents, but if you are willing to take requests/suggestions for fortresses, here is something:

First, gen an umodded world with lots of civilizations (like 60 on a SMALL world, 80 on a MEDIUM) and lots of forests running to at least year 1500 (as long as possible, basically, but genning grows slow over time). Have all variances except volcanism relatively low (about 100) so you get a lot of big subregions. The aim of this is to get a world with a lot of historic events (lots of forests help elves survive so they can fight many wars with humans). Ah, do not cull historic figures and do have history hidden. Also turn OFF history revealation via engravings in fortress mode.

Pick a site in at least one large subregion where a lot of wars have taken place. (If you get more than one main subregion in your embark site, it is even better).

Make a fortress without any underground constructed floors or walls and double engrave ALL walls that are reachable at one point or the other (so, if you place furniture into a room that blocks movement, double engrave beforehand).

For a special challenge, make the fortress a 3- dimensional labyrinth of corridors with small and medium rooms hidden in the depths of the labyrinth (nice for testing the pathfinding AI :) :) :) ).

Surface constructions can be as you like them (towers, houses, none, whatever).

Finally, abandon that fortress regularly (that is, do not lava-flood or otherwise destroy it) and upload it to the file depot.

Option: Abandon during a siege.

Basic Idea: The bigger, the better as there will be more engravings.

Option: Hide interesting rooms/secrets that adventurers of other players can uncover in the fortress. (Don't tell people about them, rather let them report here when they found them)

I know, it is not much of a challenge, but I think it would be fun for people to explore your maze and uncover the history of your world that way. And maybe be surprised by what spontaneous ideas you have put into the fortress (the design definition here is deliberately vague).

Deathworks

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2008, 01:44:21 pm »

I don't know if its been suggested before, but here's my idea for a challenge:

Make a fortress, and build an incredibly elaborate trap labyrinth to reach it (With weapon traps, chained beasts, dead-end paths, the whole caboosh, Urist and Cog) , try to make it as rich as possible with lots of treasures and artifacts. Then abandon it, and revisit it in adventurer mode (I have no idea if traps work after a fortress is abandoned, either way, it should be rather interesting)
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2008, 01:56:37 pm »

(I have no idea if traps work after a fortress is abandoned, either way, it should be rather interesting)
AFAIK, they work, but you can't avoid them.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2008, 02:06:47 pm »

(I have no idea if traps work after a fortress is abandoned, either way, it should be rather interesting)
AFAIK, they work, but you can't avoid them.

Unless you've turned them on for adventure mode in init.txt, they shouldn't do anything
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2008, 03:45:20 pm »

I am presently building Noah's Ark. I'm going to need some more animals though...
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]