Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: War Dogs!  (Read 2804 times)

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Dogs!
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 01:57:55 pm »

My dwarves would never ride horses anyway.

Onward, my mighty muskoxen!  Charge!
What lives in mountain cave, is large, and vicious...
Bears.

Some post the bear cavalry meme please.  :D

Already have. :P
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008, 02:01:54 pm »

My dwarves would never ride horses anyway.

Onward, my mighty muskoxen!  Charge!
What lives in mountain cave, is large, and vicious...
Bears.

Some post the bear cavalry meme please.  :D

Already have. :P

Oh, i didn't know it had upgraded to a webpage. Silly me. Good choice of song too.  :P
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:06:29 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2008, 02:58:08 pm »

You don't use a dump zone, you use a pit zone.  Then, while selecting the pit (i), you can use (P) to decide what animals to throw in there.  It's kinda like cages in that aspect.

Unfortunately, you can't tell which animals are already in a pit and which are still available for pitting, right? I have that problem with my livestock pits. I'd really like to pit just the ones that get loose, but I can't tell which ones are which from the pit screen.

You can't even tell which sex they are, if you'd like to use the males for guard dogs and the females - and one male - for breeding.

Bill

About breeding: it sounds like you're keeping a male and a female in the same cage/pit together to breed, but I believe it's not necessary. You just need to have a male somewhere on the map for females to breed. Of course, keeping the females safe is a good idea...

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2008, 04:55:34 pm »

You don't use a dump zone, you use a pit zone.  Then, while selecting the pit (i), you can use (P) to decide what animals to throw in there.  It's kinda like cages in that aspect.

Unfortunately, you can't tell which animals are already in a pit and which are still available for pitting, right? I have that problem with my livestock pits. I'd really like to pit just the ones that get loose, but I can't tell which ones are which from the pit screen.

You can't even tell which sex they are, if you'd like to use the males for guard dogs and the females - and one male - for breeding.

Bill

About breeding: it sounds like you're keeping a male and a female in the same cage/pit together to breed, but I believe it's not necessary. You just need to have a male somewhere on the map for females to breed. Of course, keeping the females safe is a good idea...

Either fortunately or unfortunately depending on your situation, that's totally right.

It seems a single male animal can @$%# every female of its species in the fortress telekinetically even if you bury it at the bottom z level in the farthest corner of the embark area.

Hence why it's wise to keep all the females caged or dead except one or two if you don't want exponential animal population booms.

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2008, 05:25:37 pm »

Gotta train up your butchers and tanners and leatherworkers... somehow.
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2008, 06:56:29 pm »

This thread has inspired me.
I'm going to start a fortress that centers around wardogs.
Wardog traps, wardog meat, wardog trainers....
Pages: 1 2 [3]