Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What if DF becomes a full 3D RTS  (Read 2307 times)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
Re: What if DF becomes a full 3D RTS
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 09:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>If DF were a full 3D RTS...

...Toady would have long since integrated his brain into a computer in order to develop faster.
...90% of the retail gaming industry would go out of business.
...most computers would have DF installed... except for those of people who generally hate RTS.
...people would still complain about the graphics.
...the 2100 AD census would list Urist as the most popular male and female baby name.
..."furred veal" would be available on every street corner.
...hell would freeze over.</STRONG>

Incorrect...

100% of the retail gaming industry would go out of business.

You know Wall Street back in the 30's? Yeah... That was Toady...

I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Sindai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by subject name here:
<STRONG>Just another thread where people pat eachother on the back for playing DF instead of other games and smugly declare that those other games are for graphics whore retards who simply can't grasp DF and how playing it means you're smarter.</STRONG>

Nah, DF in 3D would be awesome. I'm picturing a bronze colossus punting a dwarf off a cliff.

C0nscript

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2008, 01:10:00 am »

It'd be 10x more awesome.

Moronical

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 07:44:00 am »

So it's gonna be some sort of Dungeon Keeper 3 with z-levels and physics. No prob. There's a lot of game engine with terrain deformation and mini ragdoll physics.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 08:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by subject name here:
<STRONG>Just another thread where people pat eachother on the back for playing DF instead of other games and smugly declare that those other games are for graphics whore retards who simply can't grasp DF and how playing it means you're smarter.</STRONG>
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 01:18:00 am »

If we assume that Df becomes 3-D W/O unbecoming DF it would be awesome. However, 100% of the VG industry would not go out of buisness, Bay 12 would just boast 95% of all video game downloads and sales. Toady would become more powerful than Wall-mart. Second only to Ironblood.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

J Lensher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2008, 06:34:00 am »

I don't think DF could ever be fully 3D, the layout is just more suited to a birds eye view, maybe there would be an option to view in 3D or to follow a dwarf,
But can you imagine the size of it? Simple games with mediocre graphics like A0# are like a few hundred megs, a game the depth of DF would be a few gigs

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 06:59:00 am »

ITT people make immense overstatements.

Sindai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2008, 08:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by J Lensher:
<STRONG>I don't think DF could ever be fully 3D, the layout is just more suited to a birds eye view, maybe there would be an option to view in 3D or to follow a dwarf,
But can you imagine the size of it? Simple games with mediocre graphics like A0# are like a few hundred megs, a game the depth of DF would be a few gigs</STRONG>

I'm not sure, but I think you're conflating 3D with a first-person view there or something.

As to size, that mostly depends on how many sounds, textures, and meshes you need. I actually doubt DF would need more than any game that currently exists, since it uses the same terrain bits and objects over and over again. I'm sure a conventional game studio could deal with it.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 02:41:00 pm »

I think, no matter what problems the theoretical 3D DF might face nowadays, in 10-15 years time, it would be so much easier considering the speed at which computer industry in advancing.

I think I know what I'll be dreaming of tonight: Playing a completely complete (ALL arcs, bloats, power goals...) bug free 3D DF using complete immersion goggles you put over your eyes, simulating that you were actually part of the world, thus being able to experience first hand the life of Urist McDwarf. All this on a 550 Giga-hertz 32-core quantum computer with 100 terabyte ram.

But seriously, even withought graphics, DF is a game that could cover alot of grounds ounce (if) it is completed one day, even if not as much as it would be with graphics.

And I think a DF-like adventure mode MMORPG would be EXTREMELY NICE, especially if we included the basics of fortress mode skills and building in it... Basically, it would be a low-graphic version of Wurm Online with much more added freedom (multi-story buildings, more realistic and actually 3D tunneling, maybe even possibility of individual players to host a server with a modded version!!!)

I think I might die of a heart attack long before anything like this might be implemented...
speaking of witch, anyone know of an easy programming language which could be used to create a simple server for an extremely simple game? there is something I'm dying to try...

<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out
Pages: 1 2 [3]