Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What if DF becomes a full 3D RTS  (Read 2308 times)

Moronical

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What if DF becomes a full 3D RTS
« on: May 27, 2008, 08:30:00 am »

Yep. Wonder what would happen if, let's say, in 2011, the Dwarf Fortress game has been completed and rid of bugs and glitches. Let's say that someone is willing to purchase the DF story, etc and makes it into a fully 3D RTS game, fully crediting anyone who participated in making Dwarf Fortress and such. Maybe with the graphics of WoW. I'd say i'd buy it

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
Re: What if DF becomes a full 3D RTS
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 08:31:00 am »

It's heading there eventually, without the help of anyone buying Toady out.

And yes, I'd buy it.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 08:50:00 am »

i'd give toady everything i'd own if it was done by 2011
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 09:21:00 am »

A 3d tunneling game?

Would be hard to do.

The adventure mode could be cool in ed (awesome fight scenes) and fort mofe would look cool aboveground, but underground might be a challenge.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Laghed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:35:00 am »

WURM online has 3d tunneling and malleable landscapes.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:52:00 am »

If DF were a full 3D RTS...

...Toady would have long since integrated his brain into a computer in order to develop faster.
...90% of the retail gaming industry would go out of business.
...most computers would have DF installed... except for those of people who generally hate RTS.
...people would still complain about the graphics.
...the 2100 AD census would list Urist as the most popular male and female baby name.
..."furred veal" would be available on every street corner.
...hell would freeze over.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 10:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Laghed:
<STRONG>WURM online has 3d tunneling and malleable landscapes.</STRONG>

But unfortunately the gameplay reduces you to being a human macro program by expecting you to do the same rote mouse and keyboard movement 50 times over the course of half an hour or (much) longer in order to do anything significant. (IE it can easily take you 2 hours to mine out the first couple of tiles that form the mere -entrance- to digging a mine)

The tunneling system is also a little bit weird and has some major limitations, because while the tunnel environment itself is 3D in terms of having elevation and 3 dimensional volume, the map of the underground world itself is basically a 2D grid of either "mined" or "not mined", so if you accidentally cross underneath an existing tunnel with a new one, the floor drops out of the above one and makes a death-pit.

The Z-level system of tunnels in DF is actually more sophisticated than the underground world of Wurm.

Wurm still gets credit for taking a premade world, making it extremely malleable, deformable, and editable, and letting all the players have a hand in shaping it, though. The big organized public-works projects like player-built highways and mountain passes were pretty darn cool from a game-theory perspective.

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: MuonDecay ]

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »

I don't think any game developer whom is owned by a publisher would have the freedom Toady has. Take Atari for example - or EA. They routinely destroy games to to increase profits just before quarterly reports; Troika suffered victim to this repeatedly at Atari's hands, whom would often change (bump up) the release date to months before when it was scheduled, refuse to allow the designers to release patches (because it apparently costed them ten grand or so to release each patch; and after a certain point where Atari didn't think they could make more money, they simply didn't care enough to allow them to release patches - even finished ones.)

EA, on the other hand, is even more notorious for intentionally releasing poor sequals to games to milk every last dime from them until the franchise is dead.

In the end, DF would probably not be that great - at least, it //might// rock, but wouldn't have the fame and endurance that say, Nethack would - because it would be released early, with loads of bugs, and Toady wouldn't have the final say in its development.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 03:59:00 pm »

It would be horrible!!!

Since Dwarf Fortress is also a Simulation

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »

I think the graphics of WoW will be ... unimpressive in the year 2011.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 10:07:00 pm »

Deleted due to possible Flame War

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: Neonivek ]

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 10:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Javis:
<STRONG>I think the graphics of WoW will be ... unimpressive in the year 2011.</STRONG>

The graphics to WoW were already unimpressive when the game first started. The motto to WoW is "The Lowest Common Denominator" and thus it can't afford to have a cutting-edge graphics engine.

Anyway, I wouldn't play an RTS Dwarf Fortress. I'd rather not dilute the game into mindless genres for the sole purpose of... well, nothing, really.

Maybe a Dwarf Fortress-themed mod of Hearts of Iron, or Victoria? I've been thinking that those sort of games would be right up my alley.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »

Dwarf Fortress RTS?

Starcraft II would get some good sales, but would pale in comparison to DF RTS. Thus Blizzard goes through some troubling times and sends hitmen after Toady.

Of course, with DF being done he starts on a new project comparable to DF RTS: Robotic Jesus Ironblood.

Needless to say, he rules the world.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 10:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Laghed:
<STRONG>WURM online has 3d tunneling and malleable landscapes.</STRONG>

But that is not an RTS game.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 11:44:00 pm »

There is a plenty of 3d rts and only one fantasy world simulator.

However I'd buy DF Adventure slasher with all that meaty features in 3d with hi-res textures and all hi-end graphic and physics crap... ESRB would rate it '21' I guess.

Pages: [1] 2 3