Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Best Military Force  (Read 3134 times)

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Military Force
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 11:16:57 pm »

199 peasants and one legendary speardwarf.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 12:21:04 am »

Every fort I make without fail always has an 'elite guard'.

Normally drafted from the first immigrant wave, I choose 5 dwarves that have certain personality traits that I could see as reflecting hardened military training e.g. being unfazed by others' opinions, havaing a strong sense of duty and the like.

This elite guard all have personal bedrooms, tombs and get priority for the best armour, they are all trained in wrestling until the commander gets to legendary at which point they start training as speardwarves.

In my current fort, the leader has a bedroom with an artifact bed in it, with fully engraved walls and a line of gold statues. Also, since this fort has adamantine (and i make it a habit to bring a highly trained armourer along) he has really good adamantine armour and shield.

The last ambush that I had the commander single handedly destroyed a squad of macegoblins and a handful of swordsgoblins, the rest were captured in cage traps and will later be used as live practice for him (with weapons of course, what sort of elite is he if his enemies are disarmed).

Unfortunaltly, because of my preferance for the elites, my general army is normally rather slow in being built up and I normally lose a few recruits to sparring accidents.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 10:27:56 am »

OK, I've just found a new guy who's awesome. He's an accomplished wrestler, adept armour user and accomplished swordsdwarf. He'd be terrible if he wasn't a legendary shield user.
Can you get artifact blocks?
(as in blocking with a shield. You could probably get a fey mason to create a stone block, but that would be too depressing)

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 11:08:04 am »

I have a mature fortress with ~150 dwarves. 

The melee squad is trained to Champion status as plate-wearing, shield-using wrestlers then switched over to swords.  I have no means to make steel on the map, but I do have obsidian.

The archer division has one Champion and a few elites.  The Champion was unsquaded so he's not wasting wooden and bone bolts.  The rest see little use, anymore.

From the swordsdwarves I draw one founder to deal with goblins.  I send her out and she kills them all.  She's 8x legendary with steel plate & shield.

She seems to be all that's needed.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 01:44:51 pm »

I can do worst military.
Most of the time I would have been better off staying put.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Naze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 01:59:49 pm »

I made a custom race, Helghast, like from killzone, gave them no eat, no sleep, no drink, and I turned all but two of them into soldiers, the two who weren't soldiers were making armor, trenchcoats, gasmasks, and fatigues for the army, who frankly were brutal to the recruits, anyone maimed would be sent to the barracks which had a row of ballistas facing it for a military style firing line.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 02:03:03 pm by Naze »
Elf: Hmmm an ancient book...filled with spells?!
Fuma Amuisa, elf has been struck down.
Tzeentch doesn't like Elves, please don't teach your Elves to read.
Pages: 1 2 [3]