Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well Drownings.  (Read 659 times)

Koshy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Well Drownings.
« on: June 20, 2008, 04:45:29 am »

So, the dwarves were throwing a party in the well room, which has a cistern located beneath it.

So while I was planning some new additions, adding levels to the killing tower and such, I get the hazardous terrain message.
Apparently dwarves fell into the well during the party? 2 were in the cistern when I looked, 1 climbed out, and I drained it for the other to leave.
It had never happened before so I assumed it was a one off event.
I refill the cistern and 6 dwarves fall in for no reason, this time however they were unable to escape and all 6 of them drowned.

So is this a bug? Are dwarves supposed to be able to fall down wells? It was during a party with quite a few dwarves in the room, perhaps they were bumped into it? Or drunk?
Luckily I didn't lose any legendaries.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well Drownings.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 05:14:28 am »

Well, basicly it happens. So build your well so that dwarves don't fall in, either by placing a door in front, or so that they neither party nor spar near it.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well Drownings.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 09:37:51 am »

I have three wells in a room just off the main shaft.  The shaft starts just under the top of a plateau with a 3z cliff bordering the canyon where the brook runs.

So the wells are on the same level as the canyon floor.

The tunnel to the brook was dug from outside with stairs right next to the brook (for the dwarf who dug it to escape), and stairs right next to the canyon wall, on the other side of which is the well (for obvious reasons).

With no party, no sparring, and nothing else that I can understand going on, my legendary mason takes the dip.  Maybe he wanted to check out the masonry of the well from the underside.  Or maybe he was taking a dump in it and his opium suppository fell in.

I don't know.

Anyway he makes his way to the stairs and climbs out covered in water and right into the not-so-gentle attentions of a goblin hammerlord.

The first hit didn't kill him, but the immidiately subsequent collision with an obstacle did.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.