Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Gunpowder of focusing on Civs?

More civ types, more cultural artifacts.
- 9 (81.8%)
Gunpowder
- 2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Freehold - Civ Diversity Mod (Testing Thread)  (Read 2565 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Freehold - Civ Diversity Mod (Testing Thread)
« on: December 02, 2013, 11:58:50 am »

Freehold - Civ Diversity Mod
Current Version:

This thread has been changed into the Testing Thread for the Freehold mod. If you find a bug/balance issue, report it here!
The release thread is located here for those who want to view the working version of the Freehold mod.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 12:43:17 pm by MDFification »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Freehold - Civ Diversity Mod (amongst other things)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 12:24:58 pm »

Issues found in the current release:

Balance Issues
-Worldgen tends to kill off certain civs the later in history you get. Generally because neutral civs attack evil civs but never good civs.

Bugs
-Extract blood reaction not available in kitchen (Fixed 0.6.5)
-Cook blood reaction not available in kitchen (Fixed 0.6.5)
-Chain gloves appear as [Material] chain chain gloves as opposed to [material] chain gloves.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 10:33:27 am by MDFification »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 12:25:33 pm »

Maybe have a look at deons essential df as well. He wrote it just for that, as a base for mods. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 12:49:46 am »

This looks pretty awesome. PTW, and I'll be sure to use this... However, at the same time, I really doubt you can make the Arquebus slow firing, since fireing speed is based on skill. (Unskilled Arquebusiers would be -really- slow when firing, Legendary + 5 Arquebusiers would fire at the rate of a normal M134 Minigun.)

Still, as I said, this looks pretty cool. At the same time, I can't picture Dwarves using a bow. Seems so... Undwarvenly.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 07:32:59 am »

This looks pretty awesome. PTW, and I'll be sure to use this... However, at the same time, I really doubt you can make the Arquebus slow firing, since fireing speed is based on skill. (Unskilled Arquebusiers would be -really- slow when firing, Legendary + 5 Arquebusiers would fire at the rate of a normal M134 Minigun.)

Still, as I said, this looks pretty cool. At the same time, I can't picture Dwarves using a bow. Seems so... Undwarvenly.

Hrm. IRL Arquebus' can fire faster than crossbows in the hands of a skilled soldier. I just want to avoid them breaking the game.
I think that dwarfs using  bows isn't too bad, provided they're using a short bow like other races would use a longbow... individual choice I guess.  :D

EDIT: Does anyone here know which variables I should increase to up penetrating power of a ranged weapon?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:55:46 am by MDFification »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 02:05:23 pm »

EDIT: Does anyone here know which variables I should increase to up penetrating power of a ranged weapon?

You will want to increase the shoot force and the max velocity of the weapon, I believe. I'm not sure how much of an effect the attack token for ammunition has on ranged damage, but increasing ammo size will also make the bolt hit with more force.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 09:21:32 pm »

You will want to increase the shoot force and the max velocity of the weapon, I believe. I'm not sure how much of an effect the attack token for ammunition has on ranged damage, but increasing ammo size will also make the bolt hit with more force.

Thanks. I'll start testing this tomorrow.
Also, I think I'm going to duplicate the EVIl civ in the raws. It's getting destroyed in longer worldgens. Other civs seem to build massive armies (first, a few hundred will face off against a few hundred, but the victor of that battle will suddenly obtain potentially thousands of troops) and then proceed to just flatten any resistance unless the goblin/human/dark-elf civ in question is led by a demon.
This could however result in twice the sieges. Hrm. Balancing, balancing...

EDIT:
Since I actually read my poll, we're going to add more civ archetypes, tweak existing ones, and make more (and more detailed) cultural artifacts. Also, future artifacts will actually have effects on gameplay; you haven't seen it yet b/c I don't have an actual release up, but the current artifacts are basically just old weapons/armor with new names. Unimplemented weapons will change that.
On that note, should I bother to make a gunpowder expansion? It's been done, and someone else's gunpowder mod could easily be added to your game. I'd keep corpse burning, of course, because that's something that just makes sense to me as useful garbage control, so should I return my focus to civ diversity?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:54:16 pm by MDFification »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Freehold - Civ Diversity Mod (Testers Wanted!)
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 03:53:29 pm »

New version up! 0.6.4 (I'm kind of just making up these numbers) tweaks existing civs, updates the Orc race and applies fixes that should allow you to burn corpses/bodyparts to ash.
A new feature has also been added - cooking with blood. Since you can do this IRL and there's blood arriving with the caravans, I figured I'd let you both extract blood from a creature and cook blood into blood sausages. This feature may or may not work, so please bear with us.

EDIT: The new version will be up in just a few moments. DFFD has decided it doesn't care to process my uploads today.
EDIT2: New version actually uploaded now! Hooray! Not that anyone's actually downloading it, but that could happen.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 05:13:33 pm by MDFification »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 09:46:53 am »

Guess now that its released and people can play it, you could move it into the mod-release board. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 12:13:37 pm »

Guess now that its released and people can play it, you could move it into the mod-release board. :)

True. It's still incomplete, and in testing, but there's no reason to keep it in the general modding section.
EDIT: I'll move it to the release board after the next release.

---

I'll be making the newest version available for testing in about a week. Haven't got any feedback yet. Also, I suspect the blood cooking (not available in the current release) will be more full of bugs than an ant colony. And I'd like to get the throwing weapons included before next release so balance issues can start being addressed.

After that, I have more things planned. Balancing worldgen + siege timing. Some new civs, some of which are particularly nasty. It'll be fun.

EDIT: New thread made in Mod releases. Link in OP. This is now a testing/bugfix thread.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 10:32:25 am by MDFification »