Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Petition for Adventure mode advancement.  (Read 3396 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Petition for Adventure mode advancement.
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2007, 07:10:00 pm »

You could, I suppose, carve out a small cave in which to live.

Introducing the all new: Hermit mode.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Sestze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 03:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by a1s:
<STRONG>
I've been thinking: in fortress mode your miner can clear out 100, 200 tiles tops per season, right? so it should take some 6 hours to clean one out, and that's with good skills. this would be pretty boring to adventurers...</STRONG>

Well, when you sleep, you don't wait 12 hours to do things. It compresses time a small amount.

If you're chopping down trees, time can move along automatically.

I mean, a game type that's looked great to me has always been "use whatever tools you have to survive in the wilderness". Imagine, in the future, your character can build a house, a fence, and start to cultivate animals for food, eventually clearcutting and building enough to give himself a following.

It'd be amazing.

kein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress Wiki page
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 10:37:00 am »

Believe it or not Toady is getting there. With what hes working on now its major progress to tying the Fortress gameplay to adventure mechanics. Once all that is in place and bug tested I believe the adventure mechanics will flow out very quickly, all in due time.

With that said, I believe adventure mode has vast potential.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »

Have hardly played adventure mode but i sign this to.

The reason why is becouse i don't want to adventure before i have a awsome fortress to visit.

Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2007, 10:07:00 am »

/me signs with blood.  :cool:
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2007, 07:05:00 pm »

I'm split on this, really.   ON one hand, Toady will eventually do what is best, invariably.  On the other, merely having a few neat Adventure Mode toys would vastly increase the playability of it.  A few things would be the ability to use digging tools and axes, or some extra quest types.  I mean, the mode is fun when there's really nothing more to do besides slaying foes.  But, I am absolutely pleased at some of the things in the dev notes:

quote:

Bloat163, COLLECTOR QUESTS, (Future): Quests to gather rare bugs in glass vials (coins too). Since these are actual game objects rather than scripted events, these quests could be very open and challenging.

Bloat185, LIBRARIES, (Future): Books and libraries utilizing histories. Once these are in, people that you chat with don't need to know as much. You can find legends here that reveal locations of ruins made by world gen, or your dwarf games. Various other books are possible.

Bloat195, ADVENTURER MOUNTS, (Future): Should be able to acquire mounts and beasts of burden.

Bloat233, ARENAS, (Future): Fight for food or money, stuff can be on chains or just waiting inside. Various associated industries.

Megaqwerty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2007, 12:21:00 pm »

Hi, I just made an account to post in this thread.

I have never played Fortress mode. Ever. One day, I'll get around to it, I promise: I know it's great, but the learning curve sounds atrocious.

But I do play Adventure mode a lot and it's a real pity that many aspects are displayed in game, but not wholly implemented (in contrast to planned gameplay elements that are listed on the site, but do not appear in the game at all, period).

So, yeah, there are a lot of silent people who play Adventure mode, and I'm just saying that devoting any time to it would not be wasted.

[ August 04, 2007: Message edited by: Megaqwerty ]

naptha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2007, 11:43:00 am »

I too would love to see Adventure mode fleshed out to be more interactive with the Dwarf mode. The lore and history aspects of DF are just begging to be unlocked to include a player's exploits!

Anyway, this sense of a detailed timeline with a holistic mindset towards creation is what keeps me here instead of waiting for UnReal World to come out with another glacial patch/feature. I want to forge new trade routes for Elven art! Introduce new species of flora and fauna to my far-flung dwarf cousins! Discover the Northwest passage! Bring it on!

burninating the countryside, burninating the peasants!

Kaizoku

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2007, 12:26:00 pm »

Hi all, I would just like to add my opinion on the issue.

The development of Fortress Mode is the growth of the entire game universe. The primary aspect that will make Adventure Mode more engrossing is a living world. That living world is created through the growth of Fortress Mode. In that way Fortress Mode is the actual game itself, as I'm sure is the intent of the developer and general consensus of the players.

Adventure Mode is a side feature that utilizes the developments of Dwarf Mode. Of course it can be updated to follow the development of Fortress Mode, but can't you see how it would stunt the growth of the game universe and thereby retard itself?

I'm with you in that I want the game to be further developed, but I'm satisfied where Adventure Mode is now in relation to the current release of Fortress Mode -- It exists, and is playable. As for the expanse of features you're all eager for, please understand my opinion that there are many developments that need to be completed before it's reasonable and efficient to upgrade Adventure Mode.

I'm sure if the developer implemented all currently available features, not only would it take a lot of time out of advancing the core features but there really aren't enough developed features available to satisfy the bulk of you for long before you're once again eager for more!

And after all, features implemented in Fortress Mode spill over to to Adventure Mode, at least in terms of how the world works, and that's good for now!

Dwarf Fortress is a great game, and Toady One is a great developer who I trust will grow the game in a clever way even without our direction (though no doubt the player community is helpful in many areas!)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2007, 01:08:00 pm »

Of course adventure mode is where you can really explore and get involved in the world toady has created, once this game is done (if toady doesnt lose interest or enthusiasm or scrap it) i predict adventure mode will be the true gem of the game.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!
Pages: 1 2 [3]