Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Card Repository  (Read 2601 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Card Repository
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2023, 11:17:38 am »

I checked a bunch of the CYOGTCG Wars games (which were pretty well balanced) and the person who went second won more often (though not every time)— it seems being able to play  a 1 star card early more than compensates for having 1 less card on the field. Being able to play two cards instead would probably be fine instead, though maybe even bigger advantage for setting up synergies. We can test it!
Huh, that's a surprise. I would've thought that even Tentacle Kitty and the like were enough to preserve the first-turn advantage, but I guess not. Thanks for checking.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2023, 05:00:20 pm »

I've been going through the cards for another game and I've noticed there's several cards which you say that you can attack them while facedown and at least half of them allow that as a sort of trap, either being immune to damage or doing something horrible if attacked. So why would anyone ever attack them when a facedown card can't defend anyway?

Well, there's exactly one card that works the opposite way!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2023, 09:49:36 pm »

Fear the 4x Hungry Crocodile / 4x Acid-Pit Trapper / 4x Paranoia deck

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2023, 04:01:32 am »

The mechanics of face-down cards seem to be poorly defined. Are you supposed to declare that a face-down card can be attacked when you play it? In the case of the Acid-Pit, does it die when it is attacked? Does it do damage to the attacker? If so, how does the opponent know how much damage their card received? Worst case, you have a scenario where someone attacks into your face-down Acid-Pit, then uses the card for something else afterwards- then on your turn, you reveal that actually their card died before they could do the other thing. The alternative being that the Acid-Pit doesn't do any damage to its attacker, but then why does it even have an Attack strength?
Long Live United Forenia!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2023, 04:24:02 am »

Having reread the rules, my understanding is it's:

1. You declare your card face down without revealing its face
2. You declare whether or not it can be attacked
3. If it is attacked, the card flips up as it counts as "somehow doing something", and the attack is processed as normal- this breaks the turn sequence, with the attacker's turn paused while the defender makes clarification

The alternative way of interpreting it is that if it can be attacked, it does damage without doing attack back, and the defender has to weigh in on whether or not an attack killed their mystery card. In this case, the attack value is just for when the card is flipped up and acting like a normal card.

Either way, being able to attack face down cards is bad design for a forum game, as ideally no card should break the turn sequence and require the defender to respond before the full turn can be processed.

Perhaps a way to fix this would be to just rule that faceup attacks are processed at the start of the next player's turn?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 04:47:50 am by notquitethere »
Pages: 1 2 [3]