Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Safety first :)  (Read 1660 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Safety first :)
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 02:47:00 pm »

Heh. Yeah, anyone watched Full Metal Panic? There was this one episode with the Behemoth AS (or some such), where he was taken down by a mech putting a Lambda-drive shot through a slit in the lower torso that went out through the head. I imagine I'd have to do a similar thing to make that shot work, except I probably did it and ran back in bullet time, because I was like 10 meters away.  :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 10:51:00 am »

Adventurer mode is so odd, if you choose 'Play now' your given a naked guy with no skill!? HOW DO YOU SURVIVE! :/ and the damage is kinda messed up, I was fighting a minotaur and managed to stab him 5 or 6 times in the head before it got lodged then ended up twisting it around in his face for a few moves until he finally died... then my throat got ripped out by a naked mole rat ><.

Does anyone know how I can change my vision range so I can actually see whats attacking me in dungeons? My buddies/drunken horde/meat shields seem to have two extra senses...

Khain is a dubious worshipper of Stozu Oxtrararstruck Baxstutspen

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 12:14:00 pm »

they do

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 12:26:00 pm »

I think that the whole play now thing is basically Toady trying to tell the player to stop being lazy.   :p

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 05:53:00 pm »

play-now should give random skills.  its a throwback to a large number of roguelikes that had the custom-start or quick-start options.

a skilled player could do well with a custom made character.  but a true master of the game could make do with whatever shit the random generator threw at him.

naked and unskilled is just a wee bit harsh, evern for PLAY NOW!

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 05:14:00 am »

and who the hell suddenly decides to throw off all their clothes and go walking around in the wilderness? except perhaps Chuck Norris...
Khain is a dubious worshipper of Stozu Oxtrararstruck Baxstutspen

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »

Seeing a mention of someone throwing off all of their clothes in a topic named "safety first" might give people the wrong impression...
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 04:04:00 am »

Play now! used to lock you in a cave (with a boulder "building" over the entrance), and you were supposed to try to get out somehow after fighting a bear or other such creature.   I stripped that out, and now it just sort of leaves you hanging.  Now more generally, the Scenarios Arc is supposed to handle Play now!, and situate the player in the world properly, and in some sort of interesting and exciting way, but there's not quite enough for it to work with (hence playing with armies and so on, when I get through this Z stuff).  For a less intense beginning, there will be the standard character creation, which will situate you in an existing site of whatever civilization you picked, or you could just be a traveler etc etc.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2007, 01:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Khain:
<STRONG>Adventurer mode is so odd, if you choose 'Play now' your given a naked guy with no skill!? HOW DO YOU SURVIVE! :/</STRONG>

Funny, I haven't had too much more problem with Play Now! than normal characters.

Tho this is probally a mix of good and bad luck.   :p

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2007, 02:31:00 am »

I imagine to start a Play Now! You have to escape from the first dangerous area and basically play dirty; hide by map edges to escape, strangle zombies and almost harmless enemies, throw rocks at yourself...

Wow, that does sound rather silly. To become Legendary it is not enough to be simply insane; you must also be pretty lucky.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2007, 03:48:00 am »

1) Sneak into your fort
2) Load your backpack, waterskin and any other containers you find with furniture,, vermin, anything you manage kill, and mined out rocks.
3) Throw them at things.
4) ...
5) Profit.

[ June 01, 2007: Message edited by: Grek ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2007, 09:49:00 am »

There's one lil' problem with doing that. You need a backpack. And you don't have one.

Speaking of which.

I tried a play now in one of my fortresses once, and was confronted with a weird bug. If I pick up something, it ends up being a weapon - that much I can understand. What I can't understand, is why I can't wear a mitten I hold in my hand??? Is there any way to carry something without a backpack so it isn't in one of the weapon slots, so it can be put on, for example?

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 [2]