Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Training the Shield Skill  (Read 1510 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Training the Shield Skill
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 01:27:00 am »

Well, I was referring to the 'stand ground' order.  I haven't spent much time using that however, so I didn't know that it didn't give the other guy an easier time in hitting you...

So, I guess it's lying down and taking it time.  Seems to work quite nicely.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 12:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>

Losing grip of my weapon and getting dogpiled is my second-leading cause of death, after goblin archers.</STRONG>

Archers and fireballs (and drowning...) were the only thing that actually harmed my fully-outfitted-in-masterwork-adamantine-armor adventurer. Both only did brown injuries generally. I did lose the grip on my sword once, when something managed to stab a hand and turn it red (while I was trying to sleep) - which was rather a lucky shot. He completely failed to hurt me any more after that despite having several attack rounds. Losing the sword resulted in me whacking him five times and then saying "Wait, why didn't he die when I hit him the first time?" before I noticed that I had been bashing him with my *shield*. Oddly, a masterwork adamantine shield doesn't do much when bashing (but a thrown masterwork adamantine crossbow can sever bronze colossi limbs...).

(I put the shield away, picked my sword back up with the one good hand, and then sliced the enemy in half)

That was a goblin guard, I think. Yes, I took a nap in a goblin fort and lived. Several naps, actually.

[ March 17, 2008: Message edited by: Shadowlord ]

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 03:34:00 am »

people who do adventure mode with adamantine gear are MISSING.THE.POINT.
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!
Pages: 1 [2]