Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Training the Shield Skill  (Read 1507 times)

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
Training the Shield Skill
« on: March 13, 2008, 12:42:00 am »

This is another one that I stumbled across accidentally that I thought I'd share.

I tend to like the wrestling feature, so I wind up training that ahead of other skills, which sometimes creates trouble later on.

So, in most combat circumstances, I wind up with a diminished shield skill and a high wrestling skill.  Since wrestling also covers dodging, my shield skill continues to fall behind as most attacks are avoided rather than blocked.

So, having advanced the stats a little bit, I'm out in an ambush with a bunch of harpies, who have a hard time hurting me, and I stumble upon this combination.

Put away my weapon, leaving just a shield in hand.
set combat preferences (c) to close-combat, so that counterstrikes will engage wrestling rather than smack the enemy with the shield.
drop to the ground (s) so that the normal dodge is diabled.
let the enemy attack (.) and suddenly I'm only using the shield to block attacks.  the wrestling counterstrike just grabs a random limb, and wrestling rises when the enemy struggles in vain to break my grip.
this causes the shield skill to rise very quickly, which tends to make all the difference against those guys with that firey breath attack.

KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Training the Shield Skill
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 12:52:00 am »

Oooo... that's an interesting find. Nice way to train two skills at once.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:55:00 am »

Or, alternatively, stop dodging.  It's another option in the preference list.

However, since you're lying on the ground, they'll get more attacks than you will, so a per-turn skill raise will favor shield skill more.  Not bad, but just make sure you do it at the right time, and not in front of a group of foul blendecs or something.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 04:37:00 pm »

I've had harpies accidentally tear my throat out.  I find that training against a goblin drunk is the safest path.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 08:50:00 pm »

I used this strategy accidentally once.  It involved a lot of wolves, a spear getting stuck, and getting dogpiled, literally.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzlemaker:
<STRONG>I used this strategy accidentally once.  It involved a lot of wolves, a spear getting stuck, and getting dogpiled, literally.</STRONG>

Losing grip of my weapon and getting dogpiled is my second-leading cause of death, after goblin archers.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »

You forgot the step "Equip 7 shields"
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 12:24:00 am »

My leading cause of death seems to be drowning. For some reason, even with novice swimmer, I still get the drowning message when I fall inside water.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 01:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>For some reason, even with novice swimmer, I still get the drowning message when I fall inside water.</STRONG>

That would be because a novice swimmer who dives into water will drown; you have to enter carefully.

The French seem to experience this periodically in swimming class.  Except with real kids instead of digital dwarves.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 08:05:00 am »

I was playing a modded race with 4 arms, and I was surprised that I started with 3 shields   :D

I was a legendary shield user is short order!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 10:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>

Losing grip of my weapon and getting dogpiled is my second-leading cause of death, after goblin archers.</STRONG>

I actually started out with the skill level of expert in armor usage, and was a dwarf so I had steel armor.  They didn't really do much damage to me, just kinda... took a long time for the fight to play out.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>

The French seem to experience this periodically in swimming class.</STRONG>

Don't act bad against french people, many are worth knowing   :D

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 04:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dae:
<STRONG>Don't act bad against french people, many are worth knowing    ;)</STRONG>

Why, thank you.  Still, during the year I lived in France, twice the news had a story about a teacher who'd forced every kid in the class to jump in the pool, and then not paid attention as one of the kids drowned.  Which seemed a propos of this thread, unlike the overfrequent stories of Texan mothers drowning their kids.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 11:30:00 pm »

Or the Australian who tried to enter into his ground-floor apartment by crawling through the window, and then drowned in his kitchen sink when he got stuck because his flailing turned on the faucet.  

The keys to the front door were in his pocket.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 01:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Or, alternatively, stop dodging.  It's another option in the preference list.</STRONG>

How can you do this? I know there's a dodging preference choice, but it seems like if you pick stand ground there, it just results in the enemy "missing" all the time.

Pages: [1] 2