Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: The Elephant of DOOM! Version 2.0  (Read 32896 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elephant of DOOM! Version 2.0
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2021, 06:07:14 pm »

At the beginning of summer, the necromancers launched a siege on us.

A large army of undead and freakish experiments descended upon our fort.  The experiments were six legged creatures with short trunks and shaggy hair.  They weren't very tough though and proved easy to kill, but even more interesting was that our dwarves were willing to butcher their corpses.  I managed to get some tallow out of them, and it will be used to make soap for the elephant.  The siege dragged on all summer and I ended up having to kill or capture all the zombies to break it. 

It's a total mess outside now:

So we began the cleanup and....

Akul Nemenkom, Human Spearman corrupted corpse is visiting.

What.  The.  FUCK.

Ol' Akul here is the undead piece of filth that was responsible for stealing that artifact.  And he participated in led that 3 month siege we just got out of.  So he's just going to waltz in here like he owns the place looking for a good time?!  Kiwan Winebowls must have balls of solid slade to send him here!  I dropped my whole army on him and smashed him into ruin, them marked what was left for magma dumping.  He managed to kill my clothier though.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 04:49:05 pm by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2021, 03:02:52 pm »

In late autumn, we sent a raiding party up to Shoveldream to steal whatever they could from them.

They didn't return with anything, but they did inflict a lovely amount of mayhem along the way.  Even better yet, we slew Kiwan Winebowls.  Oh yeah.  We'll need to send another raiding party to try to grab our precious artifact back, and maybe kill even more necromancers.  Once we're done plundering, I'm going to tear that lousy tower down.

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2021, 03:01:36 pm »

Year 105.

The goblins of the Elevated Dungeons attacked us at the beginning of winter.  It was a tiny force of 10 goblins, nothing that posed a threat like the necromancers' army.  They were utterly wiped out in 5 days. 

The next month, another raid was conducted against the necromancers.  Another of the necromancers, Mones Clusteredheld, was slain.  Mones was responsible for creating the experiments used by these necromancers, and his death should weaken them further.

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2021, 01:48:20 pm »

In the spring, another attack on Shoveldream slew two more necromancers and several undead and experiments.  In the summer, instead of attacking Shoveldream again, an attack was launched on Releasehell, a goblin fortress that had been captured by the necromancers.  This time, 4 necromancers were slain and we looted a bunch of crap.

A sleazy dwarf bard pretending to be a noble visited us and conspired to steal an artifact. The artifact was noticed as missing before the bard left, and going through the stocks screen, I found it on her person.  She was hauled off to the guard captain, refused to confess, and got executed anyway.

A cyclops dropped in during late spring, but proved to be little of a threat.  The marksdwarves made short work of her.

The goblins attacked again in the fall.  They launched a larger attack this time but were still defeated.  Unfortunately, it disrupted the visit of the fall caravan.

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2021, 04:58:03 pm »

Year 106.

The fortress launched another raid on the necromancers in midwinter.  Unfortunately just as the army was leaving, a hydra entered the map, and killed half the speardwarves, ripping and shredding with its terrible heads.  It got caught in a cage trap, and I'm considering using it against goblin raids if I can handle it safely.

The riad itself was another success.  Two more necromancers died, and we looted their library.  Two of the books contained the secrets of life and death, and 6 of the dwarves have become necromancers from their leisure reading.  According to Legends, that should be the last or the necromancers.

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2021, 12:45:11 pm »

Year 107

The rest of 106 was relatively uneventful as life went on in the fort.  We caught and executed one or two more infiltrators. 

About 20 of the dwarves have become necromancers at this point, and I'm not sure it was a good idea to let them read the secrets of life and death.  As we were executing some goblin prisoners, the necromancer soldiers felt the need to raise the corpses from the dead.  This led to some fun as the corpses turned around and killed one or two soldiers.  One goblin was raised and killed 20 times and I suspect the dorfs just wanted to raise their kill counts and get a special name.  Anyway, this creative necromancy could start causing !!FUN!! in future sieges, and I'm not sure it may be wise to keep the books around. 

In addition. since the necromancers no longer need to eat, it means my food stocks won't deplete, and I'll have tons of meat sitting around as I butcher animals to make soap.  So I'll either have to stock thousands and thousands of units of meat that won't be used up, grind them into meals that don't get used, trade them, or dump them.  Or I could just let it rot in the butcher's workshop, since a tribute to Boatmurdered should have lots of miasma floating around.

Fortressdeath

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2021, 06:41:50 pm »

It lives!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2021, 11:59:09 am »

I've been a bit busy with other things the last week or two, and haven't been plugging away at this as much.  And a lot hasn't been happening in game, just routine fort stuff.  Most of the action is down in cavern 1 where a FB is rampaging through the underground wildlife, but I haven't bothered to breach it yet.

I sent the fort's army to raid a goblin fort that my home civ attacked and lost against a few months earlier, and the attack leader was taken prisoner.  My army looted some stuff, stole some animals, and rescued a bunch of people.  One of the humans though has a bunch of the necromancers we slew in his family tree -- no less than that bastard Kiwan Winebowls was his great-great grandfather.  I'm kind of wondering what kind of recreational reading he's going to take up.

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2021, 01:52:06 pm »

Year 108

Dwarf necromancers proved to be a problem indeed.  The fort had a goblin siege in the fall, and unfortunately, the necromancers in the military just had to keep raising goblin corpses over and over again.  As a result, two or three soldiers died from goblins that just didn't stay dead, and it took a lot of extra work to end the siege.  What a mess.  As a result, I exiled nearly all the necromancers to a nearby hillock under our control.  There were two necromancers married to useful dwarves in the fort though, so they were sent on a suicide raid to die or get captured.  Unfortunately, that dropped the fort population by 30, and there was no fall migration wave to replenish the losses.  I requested some workers from the other nearby hillocks to beef up the workforce a bit, but I'll probably need another migration wave or two to get back to normal.  The military was depleted quite a bit though, and it'll be a while before I start raiding again.  Three of the books stolen from the necromancers had the secrets of life and death; one was sold to the humans in the summer, while the other two are in the library but forbidden.  All the copies made by the former scribe were burned in the magma.  I haven't decided whether or not to sell off the other two copies during the next caravan, or leave them forbidden where they can still be used in adventure mode or something.  Of course, I only need to keep one book, since all three apparently taught the same secrets from some adventure mode testing I did.

The new fort has lasted almost as long as the original attempt, but we're a bit behind on the construction.  That's probably due to having invasions active and the resulting construction downtime.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 02:05:55 pm by orius »

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2021, 06:25:12 pm »

And now for the tale of Inod Matchcanyons.

Inod was a dwarf from another civilization, The Outrageous Cloister.  After visiting a third dwarven civilization, The Hollow Guilds, he visited the fort looking for a book.  This book had been written by a dwarf of our civilization that founded a monastery but then returned to one of our civ's other forts, leaving the books in the monastery behind.  The book was about the monastery.  Anyway, someone plundered the monastery and eventually the book wound up in our fort, either from one of our raids or in the hands of a visitor that got killed during a siege, I don't know which. 

Anyway, some lousy elf scholar wanted the book in her collection.  She was living in a dwarf fortress of The Hollow Guilds, following her master, another elf, who was buddies with a dwarf scholar from that fort.  Her civilization, plus two other elf civilizations were at war with this fortress, but a third of the fort's population were elves, which leads me to suspect these dwarves are a bunch of elf lovers.  Who knows what kind of perverse and undwarfy behaviors the elves may be putting the dwarves up to like drinking water because it's all natural.  Anyway, since this book was written by a dwarf of our civilization, it belongs to us, and this elf has no right to it.  If she wants to read it, she can travel across the world and visit our fortress herself, that is if I bothered to open the library up.

Anyway, he asked for the book and we refused.  He left and then came right back, asking for the book again, and was again refused.  On his way out, he flew into a rage and decided to take the book by force, which merited a full military response.  The first dwarf to attack him was the Macedwarf Likot Tuftedtool the Disembowler of Canyons.

Once again this game displays its warped sense of humor.

Likot smacked Inod on the head with his mace, and Inod dropped his sword and shield.  Then Likot and two other macedwarves pounded him into a pulp.  Inod will be rewarded for his treachery in an appropriate fashion by being dumped into the magma with the goblins and other scum.  It's the least he deserves for dying for an elf.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 06:27:03 pm by orius »

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2021, 02:42:37 pm »

Year 109

Life goes on and the elephant gets bigger.   Little occurred out of the ordinary aside from slaying the occasional villainous visitor and the mass execution of the goblin prisoners that had been building up in the fort.  A giant dropped by in the middle of the year, but was swarmed by the mob of undead that had been raised up by the necromancers, and they beat it to death.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 01:02:54 pm by orius »

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2021, 12:53:21 pm »

The Minotaur Okgush Bathruturot Bikda Nocam has come!

Bullshit.

Actually, I don't really expect this guy to be too much of a threat at this point.

Fortressdeath

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2021, 09:04:44 pm »

Here seems like the best place to post this image:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I would assume anyone living there would have elephant themed house decorations.  Perhaps even their soap is carved into the shape of an elephant?

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2021, 02:03:48 pm »

Year 110

Well, it's official.  This is my longest running fort of all time. 

Winter saw another celebration of Goblin Christmas.  My army is nearly rebuilt, but unfortunately my crossbow squad still needs to get its ass into shape.  I didn't have nearly enough marksdwarves or humans firing on the goblins, only two or three individuals, and I think a lack of training is mostly to blame.  And I still have to fill 4 spots in the squad.  I still managed to kill a few goblins outside with bolt fire, but I had to lure the rest into the fort and the waiting cage traps to break the siege.  This time the goblins brought 4 demons with them, but two of them ran off at the end, while another one composed of steam was easily shot to pieces by the crossbow squad.  Unfortunately, another steam demon jumped into the volcano and is swimming around in the depths.  I'm hoping it's trying to find its way out instead of hanging around to be a nuisance, but it's also fighting magma crabs down in the magma sea and neither the crabs nor demon can hurt each other.  That's getting tedious.

Construction has reached the levels where the head of the elephant will be.  The head's proving to be the hardest part to engineer because of the detailed work.  The legs are mostly just pillars while the body itself is kind of a box, but the head's got the face, the trunk and the ears, and it's more complex.

The Amzaing Craft is growing stronger.  After 10 years, their population has grown to 524 dwarves, 4 humans and a bobcat man.  All the humans were former goblin prisoners rescued by my army and who settled in my fort.  Meanwhile, the nearby hostile goblin civilization, The Elevated Dungeon, has only a population of 157, and they're at war with several nearby civilizations.  I'm certainly going to take some bites out of them.

Fortressdeath
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]