Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A quick question?  (Read 1771 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A quick question?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 12:51:21 pm »

If you want to try DFHack, you can add it without disrupting anything and can even still play DF without the hack by just running the DF executable instead of the DFHack executable. It won't break your saves.
There is no DFHack executable. It replaces SDL.dll with a modified one to trick DF into running the hacked code. You need to rename that to something else, then rename SDLreal.dll to SDL.dll to get back to vanilla.

What DrCyano said is correct on Linux. On Windows the hacking method is different.

Maybe engraving? But that'll ruin the aesthetics of it so kinda against the point.

You can make engraved tiles look similar to one another and similar to regular walls and floors using a designation in the 'd' menu.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: A quick question?
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 06:48:59 pm »

If you want to try DFHack, you can add it without disrupting anything and can even still play DF without the hack by just running the DF executable instead of the DFHack executable. It won't break your saves.
There is no DFHack executable. It replaces SDL.dll with a modified one to trick DF into running the hacked code. You need to rename that to something else, then rename SDLreal.dll to SDL.dll to get back to vanilla.

I play on Linux, and the Linux version of dfhack does have an alternate executable in addition to overwriting the SDL dll (and using the original DF launcher prevents dfhack plugins from loading). Sorry I didn't know it worked differently on windows.

But in either case, DFHack won't corrupt the save so long as you don't mess with raws.

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.
Pages: 1 [2]