Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A quick question?  (Read 1773 times)

JakeSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A quick question?
« on: May 15, 2020, 06:36:15 pm »

Okay so I have a fort running smooth but I may have accidentally flooded it with river water and while I got that all delt with there is now a layer of muck in all my dwarfs houses. Is there a way to force them to clean it all up?
VALLHALLA HUNGERS!!!
-JakeSlayer

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: A quick question?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 06:40:32 pm »

The old fashioned way is to lay down flooring and then, optionally, tell them to remove it.

Im not so sure you can save any florr engravings you have though, if you do that.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 06:47:08 pm »

If you're using dfhack, there's the clean mud command.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

JakeSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 09:43:03 pm »

Alas I do not have DFhack. In fact I have no mods at all, not even homemade ones which is unusual for me as I tend to add in things I like. I shall try the floor thing but I do not look forward to flooring that muchs area. I was trying to give every dwarf a 5x5 "house" underground. As apposed to just rooms.
VALLHALLA HUNGERS!!!
-JakeSlayer

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 12:17:08 am »

The wiki also says that construction and smoothing/engraving will remove mud. No need to build and remove a floor.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 01:28:02 am »

Yeah I can verify that covering the floors with paved roads (or whatever's convenient) and then deconstructing them will clean up the mud. I know this because I often put workshops in the caverns when starting a new fort and they annoyingly clear the mud, preventing future plants from growing there.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 03:53:56 am »

Note that there's a bug that randomly causes the rock floor under a road/floor/... to morph into soil when you remove the construction. Magma can burn away mud, but it's unlikely to be a practical solution.

I would try smoothing the rock, but I've had mixed experiences with that, with cases where the designation refused to take effect on muddy tiles, as well as cases where I've definitely been able to get rid of the mud (and you tend to get a little mud from piercing the new light aquifers). My failures might have been caused by things growing on top of the mud, though.

TheyreAllGullyDorfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 10:05:18 am »

Just breach the caverns and turn your entire fort into a lush subterranean ecology  8)

JakeSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 10:39:23 am »

Smoothed everything, didn't work. Maybe engraving? But that'll ruin the aesthetics of it so kinda against the point. And while I have hit Magma in my mines I have never used pumps before so I have no idea even where to begin 😂 been playing this game for more than 5+ years and I had never even farmed until last year.
VALLHALLA HUNGERS!!!
-JakeSlayer

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 11:53:39 am »

Build a floor
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 06:32:15 pm »

Magma can burn away mud, but it's unlikely to be a practical solution.
There is no problem in this game that cannot be solved by applying magma.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 07:59:52 pm »

Including excess magma.

(You just put it somewhere else.)

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 12:23:03 am »

Dwarves will clean blood and such from smoothed/constructed floors and walls, but not mud (that's how I often make farms, in fact), so it's a sticky situation.

I think re-flooring is the simplest (but very expensive/time consuming) option.

If you want to try DFHack, you can add it without disrupting anything and can even still play DF without the hack by just running the DF executable instead of the DFHack executable. It won't break your saves.

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 09:26:29 am »

If you want to try DFHack, you can add it without disrupting anything and can even still play DF without the hack by just running the DF executable instead of the DFHack executable. It won't break your saves.
There is no DFHack executable. It replaces SDL.dll with a modified one to trick DF into running the hacked code. You need to rename that to something else, then rename SDLreal.dll to SDL.dll to get back to vanilla.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:28:57 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 11:42:17 am »

The 'real' file (last time I looked at it) is just what's already there but you may have overwritten.

A simple batch file can REN the original .dll to .orig.dll, then make the (as I'd rename it) .hack.dll into the plain .dll file, and another reverse it.

If you want to do that, and be 'safe' (save you the trouble of redownloading/extracting files if/when things go wrong) I'd have a permanent .orig.dll and .hack.dll, personally, and for each switch:
Code: [Select]
IF NOT EXIST sdl.dll THEN GOTO ERROR1
IF NOT EXIST sdl.OLD.dll THEN GOTO ERROR2
IF NOT EXIST sdl.NEW.dll THEN GOTO ERROR3
DEL sdl.dll
IF EXIST sdl.dll THEN GOTO ERROR4
COPY sdl.NEW.dll sdl.dll
IF NOT EXIST sdl.dll THEN GOTO ERROR5
GOTO :END

:ERRORx ...
Here I've used OLD and NEW for original/hack versions, whichever way the batch is supposed to convert to. If you're on 'NEW' already, effectively, it neither knows nor cares what you currently use[1] becsuse it's only (effectively) overwriting accordingly.
What you do with the errors is up to you, here they're prepared to tell you (seperately) what is wrong, i.e.
1) You don't seem to have a working SDL, which is recoverable if you have everything else where it should be, but nice to know,
2) You don't have a copy of the (presumed) working SDL, and you don't want to switch without the ability to switch back, do you?
3) Though if you don't have something to switch to, it's a bigger problem,
4) If we tried to delete (or, in other versions, rename) and it's still here then maybe you've not got permissions and/or the file is locked in use...
5) The copying of the new working copy failed, and you need to know why.
...but you could just have any/all hard-fail to the END without remark or to an "OOPS" output without any clue if you wanted. For use outside the command-line (clicking on batch in explorer/etc) do put a PAUSE after at least the error messages (even if success just flashes up and off in a blink of perfect execution). And accidental double-double-click8ng is probably where some of those error-checks come into their own.

That's overkill, without some finesse it could have, and is a wrapper over and above the standard DFHack 'installation' instructions that worked perfectly well last time I followed them, but I like the extra level of flexibility and safeguarding so the method is still stuck in my head... ;)

[1] But if you rewrite as a "whichever it is, toggle to other" single .BAT rather than a pair of DO/UNDO batch files then you can make it rename vanilla to OUT, rename an OFF version to the vanilla then ren the OUT to OFF to be ready for the detoggle to be called.
Pages: [1] 2