Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I know if I've got a book with a secret?  (Read 1160 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I know if I've got a book with a secret?
« on: October 15, 2018, 10:23:13 am »

I've raided a tower and recovered "Records of the Secret". The description says something along the lines of recording the events where the secret of Life and Death was learned from necro X, but doesn't actually say that the secret itself is recorded in the book. Since I haven't seen one of these books, I don't know if they clearly state that the secret is in them or not.
As I've understood books on display can't be read, I immediately ordered it displayed in my display case, as I don't want a necro mess in my fortress.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: How do I know if I've got a book with a secret?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 11:28:41 am »

I want to know it too!
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 07:01:25 pm »

Well, if it doesn't contain any of the words in raw/objects/text/secret_death.txt, it doesn't contain the secrets of life and death.

I haven't checked if that's an exclusive list, though.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 01:40:55 am »

IIRC, secrets are viewed through the details screen, same as any other book content.

I recall having to check each book recovered from the tower in Breakfastpit. It was conveniently close and abandoned, and we needed books so the scholars could be happy, but it was a bit tedious checking each book as it entered.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:42:33 am by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 02:47:11 am »

I know the title is supposed to indicate the contents for those books, so that's the only one I've looked at, ignoring stuff like "Do you know the Tower?" and "The life of the Gorlak", and all the other garbage. Some titles indicate scientific knowledge, though, and are worth getting. I'm trying to empty the tower of books, but there doesn't seem to be an end to them...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 11:32:45 am »

I have had one before. (A book containing secrets)

In its description, it will outright say "It contains the secrets of ____"

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 11:04:14 pm »

I have had one before. (A book containing secrets)

In its description, it will outright say "It contains the secrets of ____"

Can confirm.

It will have the item description, then a space, and then it will say it contains the secrets of life and death on it's own after a paragraph break.