Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrows not working, please help :(  (Read 2317 times)

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burrows not working, please help :(
« on: April 19, 2018, 04:56:59 pm »

Edit: I posted this in gameplay questions. The answer seems to be 'No, you cannot get a child to move anywhere you want. Just wall off half your fortress.' this has really got on my nerves.

I have two were-beast dwarves. I am trying to wall them off somewhere save. Have set up a burrow, assigned them to it, put other dwarves in a seperate burrow, tried activating alerts etc.

The adult dwarf seems to at least hang around there, if I put a meeting area in, but the child just will not effing stop playing in a storage area nearby. Have had to save scumm already. I cannot get them there and it is driving me crazy.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:38:52 pm by Llamageddon »

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Burrows not working, please help :(
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 06:08:01 pm »

A child does as it pleases. ;)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 02:00:12 am »

Please don't start multiple threads for the same topic. See the answers posted in the first thread of yours I saw.

DiacetylMorphine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 09:32:36 am »

assign a bed to that child in the zone you whant him. Make sure he has no other bed (and maybe assign evry free bed to someone). you can also up the value of the room that seem to help in my memory. it's he easyest way i know to move childs.

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 12:41:56 pm »

Thanks Diacety, that was informative advice, I'll try that out nex time. I didn't consider room quality.

Sorry Patrik. Yeah I know it was a bit of a stretch, but one was more about containing were beasts/getting dwarves to move on command and I was hoping this one would get me more answers specific answers about how burrows work. I also wasn't sure which of the forums were the most apropriate for each question.

I will refrain for posting two similar topics in future. I realised I was probably going to get similar answers and as I couldn't delete posts I quickly edited this one to let people know it was redundant, but now I review what I had said I realise that wasn't very clear anyway.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 07:25:39 pm »

It's also important to note that burrows don't actually force a dwarf to move to them, child or not. They only restrict the area in which a dwarf will take a job, which for an adult amounts to basically the same thing most of the time.

The one exception is if you activate a civilian alert burrow from the military screen; this will force *all* non-active-military dwarves to attempt to move to that burrow for safety. You could use this feature in this context by assigning your weres to a squad (also allowing you to move them where you want) and activating a civilian alert burrow that does not include their prison-to-be.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 10:18:53 pm »

It's also important to note that burrows don't actually force a dwarf to move to them, child or not. They only restrict the area in which a dwarf will take a job, which for an adult amounts to basically the same thing most of the time.

The one exception is if you activate a civilian alert burrow from the military screen; this will force *all* non-active-military dwarves to attempt to move to that burrow for safety. You could use this feature in this context by assigning your weres to a squad (also allowing you to move them where you want) and activating a civilian alert burrow that does not include their prison-to-be.

If I want to get (an adult) to move somewhere (without messing with squads and burrows), my one weird trick is to use profiles to build a lever attached to nothing that only they're allowed to pull then assign a pull task.  If your concern is not specifically moving children but getting dangerous dwarves to some particular place to lock them up, you can do this one by one without disrupting the entire fort with burrows.

You can also set it on repeat while you wall them in or whatever.

Also if you can get children to move to some specific location with a pit in it, it's easy to get them to stay in magma.  Forever.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 12:23:41 am »

Child will move to the bedroom you build for them.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 03:48:11 am »

Yeah, I did try civilian alert and switch pulling, also thought of military but can't conscript children (so unrealistic) ;) . Child still plays make-beleive. Someone on another forum told me the problem is that playing is considered an essential need fulfilling task so must be completed first. Bedroom one is an interesting solution but I suspect he would be playing anyway. The spoiled brat managed to play for almost a month without stopping!

Magma is a great solution, unfortunately I would have had to bring it to him on very short notice and hadn't even broken into the first caverns yet. This does make me want to make a creche and a throne room with luxury magma chandeliers for the residents and a quick release switch for the magma in case they need some extra excitement. I think this might have to be my long term goal for this fortress.

I ended up DFhacking the child in in the end as this was bothering me so much.

In-case you are interested in a good tradegy, it turns out the first were-gila monster was the child's father, and the other one infected by that monster was the childs mother... and the child ended up killing it's mother when he transformed, and then had to watch her decompose in front of him.

Poor little blighter, I will be sure to keep him well entertained with goblins and other sacrifices on full moons. He will live like a king. Actually that makes me realise that the room bove the pit might make a very nice throne room for any nobles... perhaps I should make a skinner box out of pressure plates, do some Science! on wether were-creatures prefer Nobles or plump helmets when they can walk over a button. :D

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 06:22:36 am »

Do they transform in csage? Theg are good citizen when contained, but it be annoying if there's pause and rezoom every month.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 12:15:33 pm »

I haven't caged him, his is an arena/gladiatorial style pit, happily playing away in the dirt. Food/drink/needs don't really seem to be a problem for him. Have put in an overhang as I heard climbing is an issue now. My thought was I could drop creatures into the pit for a montly sacrifice. Luckily I get no pause and zoom when he tranforms, just a report. He is a model citizen when he is in dwarf form. Unfortunately I have to contain him or he would just infect my whole fort (which I hear can be a valid but awkward strategy). I am thinking of putting in a workshop and some nice furniture for him. Not certain I can make an easy airlock to get in and out though. Dismantling a rebuilding walls are the only solution I have come up with so far.

Now I say that I just realised a drawbridge is probably the answer.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 01:15:51 pm »

I am thinking of putting in a workshop and some nice furniture for him.
Friendly reminder that those are destructible buildings.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 02:06:40 pm »

Ah, thanks, though it probably wouldn't have hurt me to realise that the hard way ;). Poor little fella, I will just have to drown him in toys instead. Maybe I can him as an elaborate way to control my cat population... that should keep him entertained.