Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Terraformer: The Promised Land (SG)  (Read 1508 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraformer: The Promised Land (SG)
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 02:40:50 pm »

> Terrestrial Colonization Protocol Subroutine - Initiated
    > Create landing shuttles (4)
    > Create construction drones (20)
              >Subroutine: habitable domicile construction
    > Load landing shuttles with (5) constructions drones apiece
    > Load relevant construction materials
    > Divert previously deployed scanning drones to identify possible construction sites
    > Dispatch two landing shuttles to two likely colony sites on each planet
    > Initiate human domicile construction

We have plenty of time, but very little in choice. I think we should specialize in our construction rather then place two pigeon holed outposts.
The fact that the worlds are classified means that the people who created us has done this before, perhaps alot, perhaps a little, but it's clear that we have the experience to know some specifics.

Personally, I am all for heading to Planet 1.

Not only does it have pimping huge oceans, it's absolutely massive, bigger than perhaps the captains mother. We could land right in the middle of the equator and have a great time. We can farm the hell out of the oceans with great algae farms, land right on the poles with drills to get minerals, and maybe even practice the art of fusion power there. Not like Planet 2, where there wouldn't be enough water for fusion power. Nuclear Fission is just ugly, and maybe that's why the deadly surface and air radiation is there, perhaps some race nuked themselves into oblivion and the planet is just recovering. Radiation would not be good for the organics.

>initiate Main_Thrusters
>Run Nav.EXE
>Nav Planet1-LPO (Low Planetary Orbit)
>Construct Landing Shuttle (1)
>Construct Construction Drones (5)
>Construct Scouting Land Drones (5)
>Intiate Probing of Planet1: Goal (Colonial landing site)

Since that's basically the same thing except only on one planet instead of both, I guess I can +1.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 03:05:49 pm »

We're also moving the ship in orbit of planet 1, and instead of landing the first place we find we get options we can pick, which we can do immediately because we built the landing shuttle and construction drones.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 07:54:22 pm »

I mean, the ice planet is technically habitable, but I would really prefer to scout out the other three before landing.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 08:09:38 pm »

PTW.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 10:09:36 pm »

I don't think the others will be habitable since they would be out of the supposed "habitable zone".

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 10:52:23 pm »

I don't think the others will be habitable since they would be out of the supposed "habitable zone".

4 of the seven planets (not including gas giants here) are within the habitable zone, we've only looked at the first 2.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 02:52:42 pm »

Day 7

The final two planets within the star's habitable zone are reached and scanned by drones. For future reference, the planetary classification system recorded in ship databanks works as follows:  A four-digit number, with the numbers in sequence representing major observable qualities (relative size of planet; temperature; atmospheric pressure; and water presence), from low to high. 0 is non-existent, or planetoid/moon in the case of planet size.

> Planet 3 - Class.3410 - Large planet, within habitable zone - Extremely hot - **Extreme** volcanic activity - Normal-pressure atmosphere - Water totally non-existent - High levels of toxic volcanic ash in the air - Landmasses broken by major rivers and lakes of molten lava - Strong magnetic field
> Planet 4 - Class.2231 - Medium planet, within habitable zone - Fairly temperate - High-pressure atmosphere - Gravity somewhat higher than expected - Presence of water confirmed: confined to small lakes & seas, clusters of green, swampy vegetation nearby - Terrain mostly flat, with the majority of raised terrain bearing marks of extreme erosion and wear - Large, dried seas - high probability of toxic salt winds

Production begins on an array of dedicated atmospheric landing shuttles, equipped with groundside construction drones. The process consumes 25 drone-equivalent resource units, as the shuttle needs to be large enough to carry equipment along with the drones themselves. Production of a single shuttle and 10 attendant drone units finishes during the trip. Current stockpiles now stand at roughly 125 RU's (Resource Units).

In the meantime, the main AI colony ship arrives in high orbit of the ocean world, Planet 1. Ship scanners have some difficulty penetrating the clouds, which accumulate unopposed without the presence of noticeable high ground to trap moisture, some banks reaching the size of small continents, and thus it is difficult to locate a possible landing zone. Three possibilities, each with their challenges, are available:  Landing in the ocean to establish a platform or underwater outpost; landing on an island, which in all probability would require underground drilling to weather the storms; or landing on the polar icecaps. The latter still has merit despite the intense cold, due to the relative lack of cloud cover which could otherwise pose a danger to landing craft, and leave outposts out of communication for long stretches of time. On another note, probability of life on planet is still viable due to the nearby K-class star, the planet's nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere, and immense quantities of water; but on the surface of the islands, the frequent storms would likely scour all known forms of life in ship databanks away in short order.

Recon drones are approaching the asteroid dome. Preliminary scans do not reveal artificial RF frequencies, particle emissions, or odd energy readings from the self course-correcting rocks. There is also no sign of devices on the surface -- yet, at least. It will be some time yet before the drones actually arrive, as the asteroids almost totally surround the edge of the system. You do notice something odd about a few of the rocks, however; several of them, most notably the ones closest to the massive openings at either parallel end of the wall, bear what looks like black carbon scoring marks, and/or areas where the asteroids seem to have been shorn almost cleanly through on one side.

Initial readings from the other three planets in-system, as well as the gas giants scouted by probes, are now beginning to filter back. The results are very promising:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:55:19 pm by Xvareon »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 03:40:09 pm »

Too little info but honestly toxic salt wind storms seem like less of a problem then no ground or heat at all.

If we establish a base on the ice/ocean world we will need to begin mining some other body for minerals, we have no idea what is under the ice.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 07:08:32 pm »

Let's divert scanning drones to Planet 7 while waking the crew. Planet Number for is... eh... I very much doubt that life can survive easily without suits in Planet four, and there is a confirmed life. The life that our introduced life would have to compete with. If we land on the ocean planet with a surface platform, we will have no problem introducing the organics we need to create a Terran esque life, unless there is some small microbes or maybe even alien fish.

>Land [Shuttle 001] on [Optimal Platform construction site]
>Intiate Wake up Protocol.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 10:06:49 pm »

Do not initiate wake up protocol.  We have no long term human habitation set up at all.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 10:02:57 am »

Were only gonna wake up the captain and some choice tactical crew that deserves to know what is going on.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 10:47:32 am »

In that case,

> Initiate Wake Up Protocol Phase I: Awaken captain, tactically necessary crew.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 [2]