Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stone bars  (Read 1126 times)

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
stone bars
« on: December 06, 2016, 02:13:38 pm »

i have a moody dwarf asking for stone bars. any ideas?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: stone bars
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 02:34:46 pm »

Blocks?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 03:34:52 pm »

the same dwarf is also asking for stone blocks. i have plenty of those. i also have plenty of bars, of the metal, soap, ash, charcoal, potash, pearlash, and coke varieties.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 04:16:32 pm »

Then it definitely sounds odd. Have you checked the wiki for the interpretation of the various mood item descriptions?
Is your game modded (either affecting moods or the items used in the reactions, most probably)?
There is a DFHack script that can show what a moody dorf is looking for, which might be of help.

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 04:34:19 pm »

the wiki didn't help. tis why i'm here. no mods. v0.31.25. I'm also on a defunct macbook, and as far as I know DFHack isn't an option for me :(

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 05:44:08 pm »

When he says stone blocks, he's already selected a specific type so it doesn't matter how many other blocks you have, it only matters how many of that type are available.  If you use 't' on the workshop it will show you what the dwarf has accumulated so far - sometimes he will already have say, 3 microcline blocks and what is happening is that he can't find the 4th.  If that doesn't work, his thoughts also are worth checking to see if he has a preference for orthoclase or something.  Check that that type is available. 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 06:56:36 pm »

"Fey dwarves will sometimes ask for rock bars. This is just a typographical error, caused by stones and metals having been joined into a single "inorganic" material type in version 0.31 - they are actually asking for metal bars."

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Strange_mood#Demands

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 10:10:27 pm »

the only thing he's collected so far is the shell of a forgotten beast, so i'm not sure exactly what's hanging him up. i figured it was the stone bars. i've got everything else he's asking for as far as i can tell. will investigate further.

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 10:14:33 pm »

could be that she has a preference for white-browed gibbon leather, and all my leather is like donkey and cat. I will prepare her grave.

sorry loci, i must have skipped over that part in the wiki. thx for all yer helps!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 11:56:53 pm »

the only thing he's collected so far is the shell of a forgotten beast

The shell indicates this is a bone-carving mood in a craftsdwarf's workshop. The first demand may be for 1-3 of the stated item, even though the message is not displayed longer than normal. The rest of the items are always collected in order, with the display time reflecting the number of items needed. So your dwarf either wants a second shell, or whatever item comes immediately after "shell" in his demand list.

Also, specific types of blocks and leather are never required; any will do for those. Specific types of metal bars can be, depending on the preferences of the moody dwarf. Demands for cloth always specifically require one of the 3 general types (yarn, plant, silk), though it's possible that adamantine cloth might override the choice.

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 03:11:08 pm »

the point is moot, since the dwarf in question went berserk and had an artifact warhammer embedded into her skull, BUT, i don't recall shells being on her list, but body parts were, i suspected the shells filled that requirement. however, no other shells existed on my map. the wiki says 'body parts' refer to skulls, and i had plenty of those. as far as i could tell, i had everything she demanded, it was the 'stone bars' that tripped me up, but i have every type of metal bar available in the game.

i was excited for the possibility of an artifact made from forgotten beast shells :(

is it possible that the clutter of a stack of 61 forgotten beast shells tripped her up?

it will forever be a mystery what exactly she wanted, since her mad brain is now pulp. so it goes.

Seolferwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 03:48:26 pm »

It won't help in your case anymore, but you can buy more time by forbidding an artifact component your moody dwarf has already collected.
The berserk-timer will reset every time an item is brought to the work station, so by forbidding you can force the dwarf to collect another item which meets the requirements.
This way you have more time to do research and find a solution.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 03:07:19 pm »

Also, it's not a berserk-timer, it's an insanity-button. Some will go berserk (flying into a mad rage and killing everyone around them), some will go stark raving mad (throwing off their clothes and running around babbling), and some will go melancholy (drowning, starving themselves, stumbling about dejectedly and running into goblin hordes suicidally, although since dwarves already do this, the only notable differences are a. purposeful starvation and b. refuses to follow orders).
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 03:18:28 pm »

Also, it's not a berserk-timer, it's an insanity-button. Some will go berserk (flying into a mad rage and killing everyone around them), some will go stark raving mad (throwing off their clothes and running around babbling), and some will go melancholy (drowning, starving themselves, stumbling about dejectedly and running into goblin hordes suicidally, although since dwarves already do this, the only notable differences are a. purposeful starvation and b. refuses to follow orders).

Sooo... just "a" then.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 05:46:13 pm »

Sooo... just "a" then.

Heh. Dwarves usually will sometimes work at workshops, insane dwarves won't. That's the main purpose. And the number of times miners have trapped themselves with channels... I'm not sure if insane dwarves are that unusual anyway.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!