Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Guilty Pleasures. No, not those kinds you perv.  (Read 5501 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty Pleasures. No, not those kinds you perv.
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2016, 02:08:18 am »

I once did a karaoke rendition of Every Breath You Take where I jacked my natural creepiness up to maximum and sung it in the spirit of its lyrics. What I didn't realize is that not all of my audience understood it's actually a stalker song...

Not that karaoke is a guilty pleasure to me, I fucking love karaoke. If you can not give a shit about a group of strangers judging your lack of singing ability, you can do anything. God I wish there was a Korean-style karaoke place around here.

I'm not sure I really have guilty pleasures, really. I think I've just managed to strike the balance of only presenting things to people who I've got reason to believe would be interested in them. Though that's also gotten me in trouble sometimes...

So parents will think it's ok to play a B-52s song about visiting brothels at a middle school dance, but I could play a Megadeth song about how war is bad and be accused of poisoning children's minds with satanic messages.
You're missing the greatest kind of ignorance, though: The parent who understands the Megadeath song is against war, and thinks that is a satanic message.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2016, 02:13:07 am »

I once did a karaoke rendition of Every Breath You Take where I jacked my natural creepiness up to maximum and sung it in the spirit of its lyrics. What I didn't realize is that not all of my audience understood it's actually a stalker song...

A savvy former co-worker of mine told me once how Possum Kingdom played at a work social function once, and several other co-workers started talking about how sweet the song is.  She then got to explain to them what the song is really saying.  Wish I could have been there.

Not that karaoke is a guilty pleasure to me, I fucking love karaoke. If you can not give a shit about a group of strangers judging your lack of singing ability, you can do anything. God I wish there was a Korean-style karaoke place around here.

I would totally karaoke with you.  We have a korean-style place here, and I think my System of a Down is infamous in my social circle now.

So parents will think it's ok to play a B-52s song about visiting brothels at a middle school dance, but I could play a Megadeth song about how war is bad and be accused of poisoning children's minds with satanic messages.
You're missing the greatest kind of ignorance, though: The parent who understands the Megadeath song is against war, and thinks that is a satanic message.

Yes, that did cross my mind :)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2016, 04:28:18 am »

I might have to start describing them as Stalker/Non-con songs, because not all of the examples are about specifically stalking people.  Not that I ever describe them to anybody.  There's not a lot of opportunities to say "Hey, have you ever noticed how many songs seem to be about violating consent?" in polite conversation. There was a cracked article about how some song, maybe by Adele, shouldn't be vilified because there are so many other songs that are way worse.  It was some song about leaving hundreds of voicemails or something. The most interesting thing I learned from it was that even though I went through a period where I listened to like every Beatles album repeatedly, I never noticed Run For Your Life.
Hey, it's seasonal, so don't forget Baby It's Cold Outside, everybody's favorite Christmas song about making sure that girl spends the night with you, even if it means putting something in her drink.

I'm not sure why I find these songs fascinating. It might just be the dissonance between fun music and a creepy message.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2016, 08:29:31 am »

I wouldn't call it a fetish.
Invisitext, SG. Invisitext. Probably wouldn't really, either, but it's an easy word to poke (*eyebrow waggle*) fun with.

That said, song/message dissonance is pretty neat. One of the one's I've been listening to fairly regularly for the last bit that's notable on that front is Dixie Biscuit -- a very nice, upbeat bit of swing about cocaine. It took me two or three times looking it up until I actually found out what the hell the euphemism in play was. That feeling when you notice that you probably shouldn't be playing this song particularly loudly in a school zone is a memorable one :V

But yeah, think it came up in the WTF thread within the last few days. Much/most romance related stuff in media is... not good, so far as actual relationships go. Someone's going to end up in jail not good, or rapidly approaching it. It's honestly a little messed up when you start noticing exactly how pervasive it is, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2016, 08:32:35 am »

By all accounts, cocaine is generally a "nice, upbeat" kind of thing... :P   
The "song/message dissonance" thing is definitely a cool phenomenon, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2016, 08:38:00 am »

By all accounts I've heard, even those trying to play it up, it's the exact opposite. Some people enjoy that kind of thing, I guess, but there's plenty that very much don't.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2016, 01:25:09 pm »

Hey, it's seasonal, so don't forget Baby It's Cold Outside, everybody's favorite Christmas song about making sure that girl spends the night with you, even if it means putting something in her drink.
To be fair, they never said anything was actually in the drink.  Except a drink.  It is kind of iffy, though.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 01:27:33 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2016, 01:41:16 pm »

I enjoy watching (good!) performances from talent shows.

I can feel Yoink cringing a quarter way across the planet.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2016, 03:11:46 pm »

To be fair, they never said anything was actually in the drink.  Except a drink.  It is kind of iffy, though.
"Say, what's in this drink?" That suggests that there is something in the drink.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2016, 03:53:22 pm »

The "something" is alcohol. It's a thin justification of "oh I'm so drunk, we'll just have to stay here and maybe bang on the down low even though we're not married and this is the 40s".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2016, 03:54:15 pm »

"it's the 40s and what is consent"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2016, 06:15:23 pm »

« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 06:17:05 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2016, 08:16:27 pm »

And then Putin's eyes start glowing gold and you realize that he wasn't a lizard-person at all.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]