Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Molotov Bombs and Ice Grenades  (Read 782 times)

Nightcore Angel

• Bay Watcher
  • Noice! Now, keel over and DIE!!!
    • View Profile
Molotov Bombs and Ice Grenades
« on: November 16, 2016, 09:23:47 am »

Like the name said, im hoping to make an object that are primarily used in Adventure mode that will cause AOE damage when thrown/on impact...i might have difficulties implementing it in fort mode as the dorfs-while not impossible, rarely throws objects as a means of offense or defense, thus a probable workaround is exploding arrows...
So the question is:

1. Is it possible with current utilities, framework, tools, and technology?
2. Is it worth the time and effort?
3. Where can i gather the info on this ex. Token list in DF wiki? DFhack command list? (im reading it bit by bit everyday, but you pointing it out if you know where it is will help me alot  :D)
4. If everything is a go, please give me ideas, ex. Poison Bombs, paralytic agents, (bombs that spawn ko/cutebolds when detonated?), etc

Back then i was planning to make a mod that adds interaction list in the image creation page (when you design image/banner for your fort, or making figurines shape (which in reality really, we call them action figures), engraving on smoothed walls, etc) but the veteran modders told me it wasn't worth it and/or nigh impossible since it was deep within the executable and gave me the advice to start something easier.  Ive seen explody stuff in DF, but im aware that there are tokens that are added and removed throughout the ages, like that exploding cat with [dismemberondeath] token, is that right? thus causing chain explosion...

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
Re: Molotov Bombs and Ice Grenades
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 10:09:45 am »

Me and my friends experimented with a rock similar to this. Basically, when it was struck with significant force, we'd have  it explode. Naturally, we decided to mess around with this for awhile. We named it Phlogistinite.  Heres what we got after messing around with it

Phlogistinite Crossbow Bolts: Worked. Usually.
Phlogistinite Sword/Hammer: Actually worked 100% of the time. We'd have dwarves specifically designated to run up to Forgotton beasts with basically a bomb on a stick and suicide.
Phlogistinite Traps:  Would not recomend
Phlogistinite Furniture: Would explode,  but not be destroyed for some reason.
Minecarts full of Phlogistinite: Would Kill literally anything. This included our Computers FPS, so we stopped after that

Keep in mind this was just a couple of buffoons messing w ith RAWs. No idea what could happen if you actually  had someone competent do it
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 03:01:02 pm »

Projectile-trigger for DFHack is where you want to start. It should let you trigger an arbitrary material emission (like freezing vapour, or firejets) when a projectile of a specific material lands or strikes a target.

Nightcore Angel

• Bay Watcher
  • Noice! Now, keel over and DIE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 05:54:19 am »

Me and my friends experimented with a rock similar to this. Basically, when it was struck with significant force, we'd have  it explode. Naturally, we decided to mess around with this for awhile. We named it Phlogistinite.  Heres what we got after messing around with it

Phlogistinite Crossbow Bolts: Worked. Usually.
Phlogistinite Sword/Hammer: Actually worked 100% of the time. We'd have dwarves specifically designated to run up to Forgotton beasts with basically a bomb on a stick and suicide.
Phlogistinite Traps:  Would not recomend
Phlogistinite Furniture: Would explode,  but not be destroyed for some reason.
Minecarts full of Phlogistinite: Would Kill literally anything. This included our Computers FPS, so we stopped after that

Keep in mind this was just a couple of buffoons messing w ith RAWs. No idea what could happen if you actually  had someone competent do it

Projectile-trigger for DFHack is where you want to start. It should let you trigger an arbitrary material emission (like freezing vapour, or firejets) when a projectile of a specific material lands or strikes a target.

so Dfhack is required afterall...LordPorkins, if you still have your raws, can i borrow it so i have an example?