Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why is my eyesight sucking?  (Read 1417 times)

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
Why is my eyesight sucking?
« on: August 23, 2016, 06:26:24 pm »

2 Years ago, I could read closed captions on the TV 5 to 10 ft away without glasses (I'm nearsighted).
Now I see things as blurry when it's 2 ft away without glasses.

Last time I had an eye exam was feb 2016. Then the doctor reduced my prescription and said I was less nearsighted.
He implied it was odd I mentioned my vision without glasses and said I was lucky to have it as good as I did.
I don't get it. He doesn't seem to think it's anything but requesting sugarcoating. I'm not that old.
How am I less nearsighted when i can't see better, but seem to see worse for distance.
Why does my vision without glasses not matter?

He did say my astigmatism got worse but wow.

Sidenote: I don't have diabetes (I got tested) so it's not that.  Is there anything I can do / stop doing?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:28:12 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Why is my eyesight sucking?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 10:29:46 pm »

I've had a few eye exams, the first found nothing, the second found minor astigmatism, the third found nothing again, and it was ultimately decided that my vision got slightly blurry sometimes mostly because of eyestrain. Could be a similar thing here. Does the blurriness come and go at times?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 11:26:07 pm »

2 Years ago, I could read closed captions on the TV 5 to 10 ft away without glasses (I'm nearsighted).

Last time I had an eye exam was feb 2016. Then the doctor reduced my prescription and said I was less nearsighted.
He implied it was odd I mentioned my vision without glasses and said I was lucky to have it as good as I did.
I don't get it. He doesn't seem to think it's anything but requesting sugarcoating. I'm not that old.
How am I less nearsighted when i can't see better, but seem to see worse for distance.
Why does my vision without glasses not matter?

Sidenote: I don't have diabetes (I got tested) so it's not that.  Is there anything I can do / stop doing?
Did you...ask these questions to your eye doctor? :O Because there's a LOT of context that they can know because of the method of communication. Here, we've to ask many things or put down contextual assumptions to give answers.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 06:23:17 am »

Astigmatism matters as much as lens curvature. So if your eye doc said your astigmatism got worse, get new glasses that compensate for that.
It could very well help with the tv text reading, or in any case prevent you from getting chronic headaches.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 05:14:43 pm »

If your problem is astigmatism you need to treat the astigmatism. That's why you're having trouble with captions, I'd bet.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 10:44:24 am »

Get a second opinion(or even 3rd).

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 04:54:08 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 04:15:14 pm »

So uhm... Did you get new glasses after this eye exam to correct the changes in astigmatism?

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 06:07:33 pm »

I'm not sure about this but if any of you read reports from nasa the sun has been violently dimming and rising in luminosity over the past few years as a result of climate change or whatever. All I have to say is this effects everyone but some people are born with genetic eyesight problems.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 06:11:03 pm »

What?

That's not...

What...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 08:42:21 pm »

It's simple, climate change is starting to take effect and with the sun changing so damn much recently it's starting to effect people. Radiation, and eyesight problems. For instance they said if you look at the sun too long you'll go blind, well now we don't have that layer of protection the ozone gives so you don't even have to look at it for it to effect you....

Not trying to scare anyone just being realistic.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 09:49:01 pm »

It's simple, climate change is starting to take effect and with the sun changing so damn much recently it's starting to effect people. Radiation, and eyesight problems. For instance they said if you look at the sun too long you'll go blind, well now we don't have that layer of protection the ozone gives so you don't even have to look at it for it to effect you....

Not trying to scare anyone just being realistic.
'Being realistic' also includes providing understandable data for the reader rather than assumptive implications going by concepts alone. :P There's a lot more to that than what you're giving off here as being realistic.
In pertinence to the thread--it is best to ask your eye doctor, as this thread cannot answer your queries other than give 'this probably affects this', but if the context and details by the OP is too general, there won't be much to help...especially if there's no response yet from the OP.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 09:57:58 pm »

Good grief. The ozone layer has nothing to do with global warming, except that it's another case of People Fucking Up the Atmosphere Again.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 12:34:34 am »

Good grief. The ozone layer has nothing to do with global warming, except that it's another case of People Fucking Up the Atmosphere Again.
It actually does, given how those interactions are related, but not in the way x2yzh9's post implied. which has the notion of natural affect merely by itself. These are interrelated things, as it seems y'all all have your own definitions of those words which is why those extremes are being said to be as they are. :P
Discussing this should be taken to the relevant thread in GeneralDiscussion. :v