Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Warm Stone  (Read 3805 times)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warm Stone
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 12:54:36 am »

Ah.  Excellent advice!  I'm about to learn a *lot* about dwarf fortress :-)  I will tell my wife that I will see her in a couple of weeks!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 01:02:09 am »

:
Additionally, if this is done underground (in 'darkness') then cave flora will start growing, because water makes mud and underground mud grows cave grass and mushroom trees.  You can avoid this by building a 'paved road' over the area, which counts as a building and prevents growth, but allows walking over, and isn't as much of an eyesore as making stockpiles (which also disable flora on the tile).
Actually, stockpiles don't disable flora, they'll just hide it and suppress sapling (and herb) maturation. My usage of stockpiles for sapling suppression and replacing it with paved roads seem to indicate the hidden greenery still affects view FPS.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 02:03:21 am »

I highly recommend reading the wiki page on pressure before doing ANYTHING with water.  Far too many overseers inadvertantly permaflood their fortresses without realizing that pressure is not to be underestimated, and to be planned for properly.

The safest way to fill your onsen project is to have a properly isolated, and computed size cistern, that drains into the onsen.

Say you have a 5x5 area you want to be your onsen.  The ideal depth is 3/7 for each tile, or, 75 units of water.
If you build a nearby cistern that is 1x1x11z tiles (assume your magma is deep inside your fortress, and your water source is on the surface), and fill it all the way to the top, that is 77 units of water, with pressure. That sounds bad, because it is more than the 75 you want, but the 1x1 room at the bottom of the cistern does not empty completely, and will hold 3/7 water after it empties into the 5x5 room beside it. That means 74 units of water will enter the onsen. Very close to your ideal. ;) To safely fill the cistern, you use two floodgates with two levers. The first lever opens the floodgate that fills the cistern from the top. The second lever opens the floodgate that opens into your onsen, at the bottom of the cistern shaft. You only throw one at a time, and by no means have both gates open at the same time. Bad juju *will* happen if you do.

It would look a little like this:

Code: [Select]

O-----O
       |XXXXX|
     O-OXXXXX|
     |XGXXXXX|
     O-OXXXXX|
       |XXXXX|
       O-----O

Where Xs are floor tiles, O, -, and | are walls, and G is a floodgate.

Since this uses a lot of pressure, 7 units of water at a time will blast into the onsen when you open this lower gate. The cistern holds less than the ideal amount, when its own added tile is considered, so will never pose a flooding risk unless you open both gates at the same time. never do that. ever. In this case, the pressure is beneficial, because we have fully accounted for the full content of the cistern, (so no fortress flooding), and it will fill your onsen in under 3 game ticks. Trying to fill it to 3/7 depth without pressure will take substantially longer.

As I and GirlInHat mentioned, a means of purging the system so you can decontaminate it is just good medicine.

A nice trick to dispose of unwanted fluid (water OR magma) is to put a carved fortification at the edge of the map, and use it like a drain behind another floodgate. If you do this, BE SURE ALL FLOODGATES IN THE ONSEN ARE MAGMA SAFE!!  That means magmasafe primary AND secondary materials! (The gate itself, AND the mechanisms!)

That gives a prototype onsen a little like this:

Code: [Select]
             ________This is a magmasafe pump, which you can use to pump magma into the room to cleanse it.
            |              (I suggest manually operating it on dwarf power.)
            V
           O-O|
           |P||
       O---OpOO
       |XXXXX||
     O-OXXXXXO|
     |XGXXXXXG# <-this is the fortification slit on the very edge of the map. Magma and water are drained into oblivion from here.
     O-OXXXXXO|      As you can see, it is behind a floodgate, and the walls are double thick.
       |XXXXX||
       O-----O|

You dont have to design it that way, but this would work very nicely I think. Naturally, the area below this room is all channeled out and filled with magma. That pool of magma is what the magma pump draws from.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 02:10:18 am by wierd »

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 04:01:44 pm »

"I want to build a hot bath"

"Ok, here's a cistern"

"You could use magma under it to keep it at 41* C"

"You should use magma to clean it out, rather than water or a 5x5 retracting bridge-over-grates floor drain"

"MAGMA!!!!"

Looks like fun, and a nice idea. I might have to build one. I would suggest the above-mentioned 5x5 retracting bridge atop a floor grate assembly (on the next Z-level down if you can't just build it all right there, bridge on floor grates) to instantly drain the entire thing. Doesn't matter where the water goes, so long as it's to some place that can use it or to a drain. And put this in an antechamber (the ONLY one) to your main meeting area - that way, you can have a large, nice dining hall, dwarves happy because of a waterfall (oh yeah, you should put that somewhere too - you've already got a water source, just open the falls when you close the cistern's top fill slot) and because they're clean. Add a nearby 7/7 tile of water (Z-level beneath) as a cleaning station (soap nearby), and you've got perfectly happy dwarves. Unless your living quarters or entire fortress are ransacked by something large, evil, and exceedingly dangerous.
But that doesn't happen too often, so you should be good.
It's the small things you've gotta worry about.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 05:06:46 pm »

If you drain straight through the floor, the water will fall onto the magma in the chamber below, turning it from an onsen into an obsidian caster.

Unless that is intentional, It will complicate onsen cleansing and return to service. Given the small size of the room, and short distance to drain, my design would drain to 1/7 and 2/7 water pretty quickly.

I agree that you should make this an optional antechamber, and be able to stop all traffic through the room when purging.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 05:08:25 pm »

I would suggest the above-mentioned 5x5 retracting bridge atop a floor grate assembly (on the next Z-level down if you can't just build it all right there, bridge on floor grates) to instantly drain the entire thing. Doesn't matter where the water goes, so long as it's to some place that can use it or to a drain.
The heating magma must be directly under the bridge. You need to somehow dump that cleanly down a separate drain, or else you're going to get obsidian clogs.

If obsidianization happens on the z-level below a bridge, you'll need to deconstruct the bridge to channel out the obsidian floors.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 05:17:46 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 05:16:12 pm »

Hm. Even if you do it with multiple layers at once, there would be lingering water. Perhaps keeping magma above the setup? Edges where one gets in from would be cold for sure, though.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 05:17:51 pm »

The best solution I can think of is to atom-smash the water where it is, pour magma, smash that, then re-fill.

The less gamey solution is to pump the water out and send in a cleaning squad. Moss won't grow on paved roads, so just ignore the mud.

Alternatively, drop magma from (2 z-levels) above and mine out the bath. Design to avoid spillage.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 05:27:55 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 05:25:18 pm »

Atom smashing does not remove contaminants on walls. Iirc, magma does. It would be more effective at water/magma elimination if you don't like to wait for evaporation though.  Just be DOUBLE SURE that nobody is in the room when you smash.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 03:10:39 pm »

I should've mentioned - the magma would NOT be used below the system I put forwards. That was a minor oversight, lol, I dropped the magma when going to vertical drainage; it COULD be above or to the sides, but I don't see why you'd bother, really; except for the "I-did-it" rights, it seems pointless, unless Dwarves appreciate heated baths. Hope that clears up what I meant, lol.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 03:19:18 pm »

that removes the stated premise of making an onsen, which is a tradtitional japanese hotspring type bath.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2016, 08:07:00 pm »

LOL!  As for pointless, it's even worse...  I'm conflicted about calling it an onsen because an onsen should be a natural hot spring.  So if I pump water to the magma (or the other way around), should I really call it an onsen or a sento (artificially heated bath)?  My gut tells me that any bath heated with magma *must* qualify for the title onsen :-).  Anyway, I've never done anything particularly dwarfy in this game yet, so I feel I need a project to serve as my trial by magma.

Having said that, I've made very little progress so far.  I'm building my hospital fortress as a hybrid dwarf/other locality.  All my workshops are above ground, with rooms tied to the tavern on the second floor.  The proper bedrooms for the dwarfs is a few layers down in a marble layer.  I'm building the hospital/research center using marble, microcline and orthoclase blocks.  I have no military to speak of and am currently hoping to hire mercenaries.  My civilization is dead (there seem to be 3 dwarfs in my civ outside of my fortress), so I have very limited work resources.  At first I was planning to pump magma to the surface and have a proper rotenburo (outside bath), but I think that's very ambitious for this group, so I will instead build it below.  There is a neighbouring dwarf fortress (generated) that I've explored in adventure mode and they have magma forges above the cavern layers, so I'm hopeful that I'll be able to find a magma pool.
Pages: 1 [2]