Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Warm Stone  (Read 3807 times)

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Warm Stone
« on: September 13, 2016, 02:01:41 pm »

Does Warm stone raise the temperature significantly for any surrounding tiles? I'm wondering if I could burn the fat from my dwarves by putting their bedrooms next to warm stone.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warm Stone
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 02:30:48 pm »

Not as far as I know. At least, not to the degree you'd need to pull that off. I think magma mist is the only thing that can do that. Don't quote me on that, you might just melt dwarves.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 02:31:55 pm »

if I could burn the fat from my dwarves by putting their bedrooms next to warm stone.

Thats some serious way to lose weight.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 02:45:14 pm »

No, warm stone doesn't transmit heat.  In general, heat will only every go 1 tile away from its source, if even that far.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 08:09:46 pm »

One thing I've wanted to build is a hot spring, but I wonder if such a thing is possible. Magma mist and water?  Ha ha... no idea how I might accomplish it.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 08:37:03 pm »

Floor tiles right above magma stay at 41°C. This is pretty warm, could use it for a hot bath.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 08:45:35 pm »

One thing I've wanted to build is a hot spring, but I wonder if such a thing is possible. Magma mist and water?  Ha ha... no idea how I might accomplish it.

Burning wood artifacts, dropped into running water. Burning anthracite artifacts are even better.  Of course, this just makes copious amounts of steam, and does not actually heat up the unevaporated water, but it does help with the ambiance.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 02:59:41 am »

Floor tiles right above magma stay at 41°C. This is pretty warm, could use it for a hot bath.
Are you serious?  41°C is literally the perfect temperature for a Japanese hot spring (normally 38-42 depending on the season).  BTW, is there any way to get this info without DFHack?  I'm only playing vanilla...

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 05:16:55 am »

Is there some advantage to burning your Dwarves' fat off that I don't know?

Although I've probably already done it to a large portion of my fort by accident, for better of for worse.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 06:48:28 am »

Well, you could mod a bunch of materials with melting points 1°C apart, mikekchar, I guess.

But 41°C is hotter than your body temperature :v I think you'd die if you'd stayed in such an environment forever? Hm, not sure.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 09:13:30 am »

Is there some advantage to burning your Dwarves' fat off that I don't know?

Although I've probably already done it to a large portion of my fort by accident, for better of for worse.

In the past it made them nearly immune to fire and resistant to cutting wounds since fat caused a large amount of bleeding when damaged and was the main cause of fire related death in the past.

Not sure if it's still the case in the current version.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 07:28:19 pm »

BTW, is there any way to get this info without DFHack?  I'm only playing vanilla...
Only by searching the wiki.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 08:39:50 pm »

But 41°C is hotter than your body temperature :v I think you'd die if you'd stayed in such an environment forever? Hm, not sure.
Yes you would, if you stayed immersed in that temperature of water forever.  But people get in and out of the bath and relax on chairs and whatnot.

I live in Japan and love going to the hot springs (onsen in Japanese).  In the winter in the outside bath (rotenburo) 40-41 is absolutely perfect for me because you lose a lot of heat through your head.  In the summer, 41 gets to be too hot IMHO.  Usually I can only stay in the bath for 10-15 minutes.  42 degrees is always too hot for me :-)  I find anything under 40 to be too cool, but there are lots of people who prefer 38-39 in the summer.

It sounds crazy that 1 degree makes such a big difference, but it is literally night and day.

Anyway, I'm very, very happy that I can embark on my onsen project for my Hospital fortress.  Not sure how I will "entice" the dwarfs to enjoy it.  Potentially I will build it as a flooded tavern.  If I can only find some rice, I can stock it with sake :-)  Sorry for the thread hijack!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 09:11:27 pm »

Entice them to get in?

Easy.  3/7 depth water, with a meeting area painted on top.
That is about thigh deep on a dwarf. About the right depth for an onsen. Dwarves will freely path through 3/7 water, so there won't be any issues. They will stand around in it, possibly throw parties in it, maybe even sing or dance in it. 

Just be aware that contaminants will make the water filthy over time.  You will need a way to flush and decontaminate the onsen from time to time.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 10:11:19 pm »

Much like a proper japanese bath house, you should be clean before entering the water.  Since you're already doing plumbing, you should have a waterfall/mist generator in the area leading to the spring itself.  The mist will clean contaminants.

Although ideally, you'd make it possible to drain the water completely (let it down to 1/7 and then evaporate) and flush the area with magma to cleanse it thoroughly.

Additionally, if this is done underground (in 'darkness') then cave flora will start growing, because water makes mud and underground mud grows cave grass and mushroom trees.  You can avoid this by building a 'paved road' over the area, which counts as a building and prevents growth, but allows walking over, and isn't as much of an eyesore as making stockpiles (which also disable flora on the tile).
Pages: [1] 2